Question

Music kept cutting out. Got Boost and still cuts kit

Hey there. 

I do see a lot of questions about this but no real answer. I changed my router channel, I even got Sonos bridge. And still music keeps cutting. This is so frustrating. And it’s always the speakers either my phone or laptop is closest to. I have 4 Ones. 1 Beam and 2 Fives. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @sedalati 

Please read the information below and let us know exactly what you have done as it relates to the following information B4 you attempt any further changes to your network or Sonos.

Sometimes changing the routers broadcast channel is not enough; or did you mean you changed the Sonos Network Channel in Settings > System > System Settings > Network Channel?

Also, if you added a Sonos Bridge (which is outdated and discontinued) that will most likely aggravate your problem; or did you mean you added a Sonos Boost which is the correct component?  If you are trying to create the SonosNet you could also do so just by wiring a speaker to your router (if convenient).

My first suggestion would be to remove the Bridge and add the Boost or wire a speaker to create the SonosNet.  The instructions here tell how to remove/replace the Bridge assuming it’s not a Boost you added.

As it seems you are attempting to switch from a Wireless to Wired Sonos setup you may have placed the cart B4 the horse when you added the Bridge (or Boost). The instructions here tell how to properly make that switch.

However, as I said please don’t make any more changes B4 letting us know what you have done thus far and how.

Cheers!

A BRIDGE is antiquated, and no longer recommended. If you need such a device, you’re better off with a BOOST, or even wiring one speaker directly to your router. But none of these options can fix simple wifi interference in your LAN. Beyond reading that FAQ and applying what solutions might help, I’d also recommend a simple refresh of your network, bumpy unplugging all of your Sonos devices, then rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug your Sonos devices back in.

But if none of that helps, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.  

thank you both. I actually have the boost and made a mistake when mentioning the product. 

@AjTrek1 wiring is not an option as I have as I mentioned a beam, 2 fives and 4 ones. 

@Airgetlam thank you the suggestion will call but I just want to know if anybody else is having this issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@sedalati Thank you for bringing your concerns to the us here and welcome to the Sonos Community. Before you would call in for live agent support I would advise you speak with your network installer. As you recently pointed out you’re using our Boost and not the Bridge. Do you know what that Boost is Ethernet wired into? AjTrek1 is correct with wanting to look at the Sonosnet channel change, but we do not know your network topology. Bruce is correct with addressing wifi interference and submitting us a diagnostic report number here, but we do not know your network topology.

I was able to see a diagnostic report you’ve recently submitted and it shows you are using Enterprise grade network equipment that may need its settings checked, as well as multiple network devices using the same wifi name “MagnoliaHouse”. We can also see that other than your Boost none of your other Sonos products have been re-booted in over a months time. Unless you have setup this wifi network I would strongly suggest that you speak with your network installer and gather your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged).

After you have gathered your network topology or if you are familiar with your installed network equipment then please power re-boot off your wifi equipment for 30 seconds with no lights on it, meaning no battery backup, then power it back up. While this equipment is powering back on then power re-boot off your Sonos units for the same time with no lights and plug them back in to power, no button pressing is needed. While we are powering on then re-boot the device(s) you have running the Sonos app. When you are reconnected into the system please test the music playback for 30+ minutes. You can then follow up here with the testing step results and a new diagnostic report number while music is playing. This may save you any phone calls with just refreshing the wifi network and Sonos equipment.