Answered

Music keeps stopping and starting

• 7 February 2017
  • 50 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, andreschlemper:

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community. I was able to take a look at the diagnostic report and noticed a specific error regarding Spotify. I was able to flag your account for an update that should address these problems. Please check your Sonos for any updates and apply the said update. Afterwards, test audio and let me know if this resolves the problem you are hearing. Thanks for the diagnostic, we appreciate your patience while we get caught up on these threads.

Hi kclaurent:

We are here to help and want you to enjoy our products rather than fight with them. That being said, the fastest way we can address your concerns would be through submitting a diagnostic report and allowing us to troubleshoot. Would you be so kind as to send one our way? Be sure to reply with the confirmation number and I'll be more than happy to take a look.
confirmation number is: 7921798.
Same this is happening to me, stopping while streaming SirusXM (or NAS Drive also, but not this diag). I've got my AMP wired into the network to try to eliminate Wifi. My confirmation number is 7985328.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi kclaurent: Apologies for the delay in response. I attempted to pull up the diagnostic report and it came up corrupted and incomplete. This is normally indicative of Sonos not being able to get data form all the speakers and then relay that information out. Could you tell us a little more about your network and how you have Sonos set up in your location?

Hello there, RoanW: Thanks for reaching out and for the diagnostic. The error message I am seeing in this diagnostic is focused on losing connection to the SiriusXM server. If you are experiencing similar problems when pulling audio from your NAS we may want to dig a little deeper into the network itself. Would you mind telling us a little more about how your local network is laid out? I understand your CONNECT:AMP is plugged into the network but is this through a switch or extender?
Sure. The AMP is plugged into a switch via Cat6.
Just ran into the NAS issue again. Conformation number 7996551.
I had been using this configuration just fine and a while back I starting running into all kinds of issues. NAS is a QNAP TS-459 Pro II. Haven't had any issues with the NAS.
And here's another one. Conf number 7996692. Happens pretty regularly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Sure. The AMP is plugged into a switch via Cat6. We are going to need a little more information on that network switch. What is the make and model of that switch? How is that set up on your local network? What is your main routing unit? Thanks in advance.
The Switch is a Netgear Prosafe GS752TP. The Main routing is a netgear WNDR4000 with the WiFi off. The WNDR4000 is connected to the cable company modem which is a Aris CM820 out to the internet. Connected directly to the Prosafe is the AMP, the NAS and the WNDR4000. The house is pretty big so I have two Access points (Netgear R6300v2 and Cisco 1140) and a range extender for WiFi (netgear). The R6300v2 is hanging off a Dell PowerConnect 2708 on the other side of the house, the Cisco is connected to the Prosafe. I'm going to upgrade the WiFi this year to UniFI because may current setup is less than ideal, thus the reason to connect via ethernet and take out the existing Wifi issues, which are pretty bad. A windows server provides DNS and DHCP for the network. There are numerous other devices connected to network as well but that's the networking side of it as is relates to the SONOS:AMP. Let me know if you need more.
Same here, stopping and starting all the time. Diagnostic sent, conf. number is 8009089
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
RoanW: Thanks for the rundown. The switch you are using is a managed "Smart Switch" that has quite a few features that can cause some serious challenges when working with Sonos. I will not be able to walk you through the settings on your GS752TP to get Sonos working but by looking at the built-in features here, I would try to simplify the network by removing the switch from the equation and test to see if you can play from the NAS with no stops or skips. If so, this tells us the problem is with the Switch and how it's possibly configured.

Perhaps others from the Community can give some guidance if they've worked with something similar.

Earlthe3rd: Hi there, thanks for the diagnostic. Do these problems occur regardless of the music service you use? Does this happen with any of the other accounts on your system? Most of the errors I am seeing in this diagnostic point to lost connection and lag within the network. Would you mind telling us a little more about your network and how Sonos is implemented? Thanks in advance.
My Diag# 8185496

This is happening with me when i play songs from my mobile device(.mp3). Please advise what might be wrong. My playbar(controller) is connected to Netgear extender which is extending my main netgear router range via ethernet cable. The system is setup on SSID broadcasted my main router
I'm having trouble with my Sonos player as well. I stream Pandora through it for a restaurant and recently it will pause after a song. Sometimes it will happen after each song and others it will be intermittent for several hours. Either way, I have to push play to get it to start up again. I've tried the troubleshooting as stated in this thread and nothing has worked. I've already sent several diagnostics and received no reply. I suppose my next step is to figure out how to call as it doesn't seem to be easily found on the site.
Good grief! This is driving me nuts! I've updated to release 8.2.2 on my Android devices and it's even worse than ever! Come on Sonos - this is ridiculous! Send a diagnostic... really? How many do you need?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
bjcurcu - the original poster solved his issue. If you have trouble you should start your own thread describing your problem and yes give a diagnostic number so that Sonos can look at your specific system and identify the issue.
Well... here's another diagnostic... 8255510! The original poster may have their version of the problem solved - I do not. The original error reported STILL EXISTS!
I would also like to throw my hat into this ring. I've used Sonos for over three years, never once had any issues. Since the latest updates all three of the units are suffering from constant drop outs, they stop playing, skip tracks etc. Last night ( New year's Eve please party) they were a nightmare and might I add, not a great advertisment for your business. I've tried changing channels etc with no effect.
These problems are clearly a software update issue, why are so many people who've had fully working units now suffering from the same issues?

Since the updates I've noticed that my phone app when powered up has lots of trouble finding the Sonos system. Sometimes it says it find them, then it finds them only to lose connection again. Again, I've never seen this problem before the software updates, my Sonos has always been super reliable.
All of this points to duplicate IP addresses, exposed when a Sonos update causes the speakers to reboot and request new IP addresses.

Quick fix is to unplug your Sonos devices from power. Then reboot your router. Once the router is back up, plug in your first Sonos device. If you have one plugged in to your router, choose that one first, if not, just pick the one closest to the router. Then wait for that device to finish booting up. Move on, and plug in the next Sonos. Again, wait a minute for it to boot up. Repeat for as many Sonos devices that you have.

A longer term fix would be to assign reserved IP addresses for all your devices in your router's IP table.
All of this points to duplicate IP addresses, exposed when a Sonos update causes the speakers to reboot and request new IP addresses.

Quick fix is to unplug your Sonos devices from power. Then reboot your router. Once the router is back up, plug in your first Sonos device. If you have one plugged in to your router, choose that one first, if not, just pick the one closest to the router. Then wait for that device to finish booting up. Move on, and plug in the next Sonos. Again, wait a minute for it to boot up. Repeat for as many Sonos devices that you have.

A longer term fix would be to assign reserved IP addresses for all your devices in your router's IP table.

Have to say I've tried this already with no cure. All the units revert back to stopping and skipping tracks half way through a song. I will have a go at assigning fixed addresses for them to see if that helps.
I am reading these messages and am amazed at the range of “other possible reasons” that are at fault here!!! Internet, WiFi , Ethernet cables, auto lock, - just waiting on a question asking “do you have your clothes washing machine on ?”
Sonos - this is your problem. Please own it. I have been trying all these options. Still skipping. Never did before. Come on, own it and fix it.
Have you submitted a diagnostic to Sonos, and called them, so that they can "own it"? Yes, dealing with a wifi system can have lots of potential issues, so there's no single "silver bullet" that Sonos can do to fix it. Let them work with you on your individual case, and help you find a solution, rather than relying on all of the attempts by people who only have the information you're willing to share to guess at what might be going on.
I have the same issue across different music services, I don't believe it's Spotify's fault. Tried everything instructed by Sonos: change Wifi channel, connect via Ethernet, it won't change anything. This is so frustrating. The issue is definitely with Spotify services, hardware and or software. Our HomePods work perfectly fine, despite being surrounded by the same exact Wifi interferences. Sonos, you literally have one job: play music, endlessly. Fix this. Thanks.
Kettle Studios,

Have you tried refreshing your network? Unplug the Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices. This will refresh your router's DHCP table, and all the IP addresses assigned to your Sonos devices. And fix what I suspect you're experiencing.
I'm experiencing the same. My diagnostic: 331521421
My work around at the moment is to plug in a mobile phone on the line in and stream spotify through it...on the very same wifi network and with no issues...

Thanks

Same issue please help

Your confirmation number is: 33962011