Answered

Music from my PC library - will it play in Sonos when my PC is turned off?

• 13 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I guys,

I can i play the music in my PC library in Sonos when my PC is turned off?

I receive the message that Sonos can’t connect to my PC .

Is there anyway to save the musics in Sonos app and don’t need to turn on my PC?

Best regards

icon

Best answer by Antifon 13 February 2021, 18:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

The easiest way is to use a NAS, which is essentially a network storage device that’s designed to stay on all of the time.

However, there are alternatives, if you really have to switch the PC off. One (suggested by another user here) is if your router has a USB port (some do, some don’t). If so, you may be able to put your music library on a USB pendrive plugged into the router, which will serve that up on the network as an SMB: share. I can confirm that this works on, for example, a BT hub with USB port.

And it’s surprising how much music you can get on a large capacity USB drive!

Badge

Thank you.

When i listen to a CD for example - the PC updates it to my music library.And from there to my Sonos.

But when i turn the PC off is not possible to play it on Sonos.

i thought that it was possble to do it without having to buy one NAS or something like that.

The Sonos app is just a controller. The Sonos music library is a collection of filepaths pointing at the tracks stored on your computer. How could Sonos fetch and play those files if the computer is turned off?

Badge

Ok i thought that Sonos could storage the music from my library.Not only the path.

Thank you for your reply.