Question

Music cutting out on both streaming and music library

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi All,

There are many reports of issues with music cutting out, my system is now so bad I cannot listen to music anywhere in the house without it cutting out, skipping tracks mid-play or just stopping dead!

I have played with the Sonos Network Channels until I’m blue in the face.  Always making sure that my Asus WiFi router is on a different channel as far from the Sonos Network as possible.  Nothing seems to make any difference.  I’m in a remote location, a detached house with only a few houses around me so WiFi interference seems unlikely.

I have taken a Diagnostic log with no: 1009201843.  Not sure how to raise a support ticket with Sonos as there is no link to this anywhere on the site.  Does reporting it here automagically raise a support call?

Any help welcomed, I’m about at the end of my tether.

Software is running the latest version. system is:-

Playbar/Sub/Sonos:1/Sonos:1 Lounge (Surround Sound and Sub)
Play:5 (Legacy) Kitchen
Play One: Dining Room
Play One: Changing Room
Connect (Legacy) Play Room
Sonos:1 Bedroom

WiFi is disabled on the system and using Sonos Network only on Channel 11 (Now)
Asus Router is on Channel 1

Still getting really bad issues across the board.

Cheers,
Ripface

P.S. All Sonos devices on static IPs on the Router

14 replies

WiFi is disabled on the system and using Sonos Network only on Channel 11 (Now)

Can you please clarify. Do you mean that you’ve disabled the radios on all the devices and wired them? If so, what to?

“Disable WiFi” in the controller is confusing terminology. It disables use of the SonosNet mesh network on that device.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Ratty,

Sorry for being confusing and mixing terms.  I recently retired my Sonos bridge and hard wired my Playbar to acts as the Sonos network master.  All my other devices are using Sonos mesh network.  I did previously have my home WiFi setup to be used, but was recommended to disable that.

System->Network->Networks :Nothing Set (Previously using my home WiFi)

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Cheers,
Ripface

Ah, okay. 

Sonos can of course look at your diagnostic.

If you want to try and progress things with the users here it would be handy to see your network matrix. Find the IP address (x.x.x.x) of any player, for example the Playbar would be good. Visit http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review. Open the network matrix link and take a screenshot.

By the way do you have any non-WiFi wireless devices in use around the house? Security cameras, alarms, etc? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey ratty,

As requested, and no … no non-wifi wireless cameras or other devices that I can think of.  Loads of RF devices as I have Alexa controlling lights, beds, fires, garage doors etc …. but they are mostly RF or IR controlled.  The only other WiFi devices I can think of are Philips Hue and I have a couple of WiFi controlled sockets kicking about in addition to three WiFi security cams.  All on static IPs.

PlayroomSonos (RINCON_000E5829B1BE01400)
KitchenSonos (RINCON_000E5882B54601400)
DiningSonos (RINCON_7828CA1AD62A01400)
LoungeSonos (LR) (RINCON_000E58CACBEC01400)
LoungeSonos (RR) (RINCON_347E5C134B6C01400)
DressingSonos (RINCON_7828CA1A26A201400)
LoungeSonos (SW) (RINCON_949F3E47A34601400)
BedSonos (RINCON_949F3E70F95001400)
LoungeSonos (LF,RF) (RINCON_7828CA509BD301400)
Network Matrix

Cheers,
Ripface

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Ratty,

No non-WiFi wireless devices that I can think of.  I’ve Philips Hue and some other WiFi controlled sockets though.  I also have Alexa-fied my house with lots of automation … but the bulk of it is RF or IR controlled from Raspberry PIs.  My security cams are WiFi too.

PlayroomSonos (RINCON_000E5829B1BE01400)
KitchenSonos (RINCON_000E5882B54601400)
DiningSonos (RINCON_7828CA1AD62A01400)
LoungeSonos (LR) (RINCON_000E58CACBEC01400)
LoungeSonos (RR) (RINCON_347E5C134B6C01400)
DressingSonos (RINCON_7828CA1A26A201400)
LoungeSonos (SW) (RINCON_949F3E47A34601400)
BedSonos (RINCON_949F3E70F95001400)
LoungeSonos (LF,RF) (RINCON_7828CA509BD301400)
Network Matrix

Cheers,
Ripface

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@ripface Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Sonos Community. I had a chance to look over your diagnostic report number and can see that you are being affected by wireless interference. You would need to address what changes you can make in your environment for speaker placement or reducing wifi interference. We will need your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). There are signs that you are using an Internet Service Provider (ISP) issued router and an Asus router.

After you gather that information then please power re-boot off your wifi equipment for 30 seconds with no lights on it, meaning no battery backup, then power it back up. While this equipment is powering back on then power re-boot off your Sonos units for the same time with no lights and plug them back in to power, no button pressing is needed. While Sonos is powering back on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app. When you are connected back into the app then test the music playback for 30 minutes with both a streaming service and your music library. You can then confirm the testing results back to us along with an updated diagnostic report number here. The reason for this is we can see that after you removed your Bridge but that not all of your Sonos products have received re-booting recently.

Lastly, we can see that your Playbar is the wired product to the network for Sonosnet. What is the Playbar wired into? I ask as we see interference affecting this unit along with your Connect and Play:5 Gen 1. I would suggest for testing purposes to make one of your two Sonos One’s or Play:1 as the wired product to the router during the re-booting steps above for getting Sonosnet.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi John G,

My network, hum … well … here goes!

I have a BT SmartHub, but the wireless on that is disabled.  It is connected to my Asus RT AC68U which is my house WiFi router.  The BT SmartHub is essentially just a modem in my environment.

I also have a 4G LTE modem connected in a dual WAN setup, it is also connected to the Asus router and is a fallback service if my BT SmartHub borks.

I have two hubs around the house, both GigaBit hubs with various pieces of equipment connected.  The PlayBar is in the lounge and connected to one of these, the hub is spurred off the Asus router.

I have two WiFi extenders, one in the Garage and one upstairs in the bedroom.

I did wonder if there was WiFi interference and have played with the channel settings, making sure that the Router and the SonoNET are on different channels.  This has made no difference to the issue, which to be fair is worst in the Kitchen.  We sometimes get music stopping in other parts of the house but the kitchen is almost unusable (Streaming and playing from my media center - CentOS 7)

I did move the Play:5 up to the bedroom to check if it would play any better up there, but found that it still paused, and stopped playing upstairs … although I’d say it was not as bad.

ALL my network connected equipment in the house is on static IP.  I’m an IT professional with forty years experience, just retiring next week so I’m fairly clued up on technology.

It’ll take some time to get a full list of all the equipment in the house so I’ll put that together in the coming days and fire that to you.

Thanks for the help, we’ve been Sonos users for many years and I’d welcome getting back to a usable system …..

Cheers,
John (aka ripface)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@ripface Thank you for the follow up and appreciate that you have experience in the IT field. Instead of trying to encompass everything into some kind of Cajun gumbo as you describe a large nest of network equipment from what appears to be three routers with one Bridged, Hubs and Extenders. Lets go small and work outward to eliminate your network products with any interference or settings that may need to be looked at or updated.

Let’s assume the ISP modem/router is Bridge properly and that AirTime Fairness in the Asus is not an issue. Please take one of your single room Sonos units, like DressingSonos, BedSonos, or DiningSonos and make that the wired Sonos product to the Asus for Sonosnet and remove the Ethernet wire from the Playbar side or where it connects into the a Hub. Next, please power re-boot your wifi equipment off and then after 30 seconds only power up the ISP modem/router and the Asus. While those two devices are powering on then starting with the wired Sonos product to the Asus, power re-boot your Sonos products (9 of them) off/on for 15 seconds. While they are powering back on then re-boot the device(s) that are running the Sonos app. Are you using a PC or Mac to manage your music library? What is the OS of that computer? When you are reconnected to the system then test the music playback with your streaming service(s) and music library for 30+ minutes. We will want to know the testing results and a new diagnostic report number with the music playing from your computer Sonos app.

I would also recommend grouping in only two or three room names to start then add more after playback has been going for at least one minute instead of grouping everywhere from the start. Also, when you do gather the rest of your topology, what we need is the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). Right now, at this time, I am not concerned about cameras, alarms, or thermostats using the network as we will have you start small and then add you other wifi equipment back into the network.

I completely understand that with your knowledge and experience you’ve been tinkering with this for a few weeks based on recent posts you’ve made here and likely have done your own troubleshooting before reaching out to us here. Please confirm the above testing results and new diagnostic report here with a simplified network. I think what we will find is how a device(s) settings are configured that may need adjusting or how things are wired or that its a combination of that mixed with wifi interference. We can see multiple wifi connections using the name 4WWW2G.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi John G,

Right … following done:-

Disconnected Playbar in lounge from the hub
Connected Play:1 in Bedroom to Asus router

Switched off all WiFi devices, or disabled WiFi where possible (ie. Phones, iPADs etc)
Switched off Modem/Router/LTE Modem and left for 5 mins
Switched on Modem/Router/LTE Modem and allowed to reboot
Tested Internet access from wired devices, up and running on Primary (BT SmartHub via Asus Router)

Switched on Play:1 in Bedroom
Switched on remaining 8 Sonos devices
Connected my Phone to WiFi and attempted to stream music to Kitchen

Kept getting error adding song to queue, and then the Kitchen sonos disappeared
Used the missing device option to get it back
Playing now from Amazon Music, but half way through the first track … it cut out!

Scratched my head!

Switched off the Garage devices as I had forgotten about the Extender and Garage controls.

Went through the above process again, and music now playing in Kitchen.  Fingers Crossed!!

I will feedback how this goes.  I presume if the Kitchen Play:5 starts playing reliably then I’ll start powering up WiFi devices again to see if I can work out what is causing the interference.  Any hints and tips for that.  Are the WiFi Extenders likely to be the culprits?

Below is the device list for the house.  Pretty comprehensive, I don’t think I’ve left anything out.

Cheers,
John F.

Before I got a chance to click Send, the Kitchen skipped a track.  I have run the diagnostic, the reference number is 68957370.

WiFi and Device List

Asus RT-AC68U Router

BT smartHub (WiFi disabled, used as modem only WAN Primary)

Netgear 4G LTE LB1111 (Wired to Asus Router as WAN Backup)

Netgear GS105 5 Port Gigabit Hub

Netgear 8 Port Gigabit Hub

TrendNet Gigabit Switch

Media Center - HP Microserver Gen8 running CentOS 7.8 (Fully updated)

WiFi Extender – Bedroom – BT Dual-Band WiFi Extender 600
WiFi Extender – Garage – TP-Link 300M Wireless N Range Extender

Garage - Door WiFi (+RF) Control - Noulins WiFi & RF SmartSwitch
Garage Compressor – WiFi Socket (Unbranded)

iPADs x 6
Kindle x 2

Philips Hue – 3 x Philips Smart Bulbs + HubKitchen Main Light – Smart WiFi Socket SWA1

Conservatory Light – Smart WiFi Socket SWA1
Kitchen Island Light – WiFi Socket (Unbranded)
Amazon Dots x 4
Amazon Echo

TV – Bedroom - Panasonic
TV- Lounge – Sony 47

Study Printer – Canon TS-5150

Chromecast

Security Cameras x 3 (Front Garden, Rear Garden, Garage)

Raspberry Pi Mobel B x 3 (Two on WiFi, one is wired)

Phones x 2 (Samsung S7 Edge + Samsung S9 Plus)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@ripface Thank you for the follow up information and diagnostic report. We are seeing a lot of communication issues with underflow errors when trying to stream the music. I would ask you for one more power re-boot off/on of the BT modem/router and the Ausus Router for 30 seconds. I am assuming you have the Netgear Router and extender(s) powered off with this testing. When the BT & Asus are powering on then just re-boot the wired Play:1 for 15 seconds off/on. As long as no other network devices are powered on then your other Sonos products should re-join the Sonosnet connect from the refreshed Play:1 wired to a refreshed network. I would ask the same thing with testing your streaming services for 30+ minutes and follow up here with an updated diagnostic report number while it is playing or after you notice any issues.

Along with underflow issues, which would point to possible network equipment performance we are seeing signs of wifi interference. This is affecting all of your products, more so with LoungeSonos, DressingSonos, and BedSonos. This could come down to the materials in the home environment, the distance between each Sonos product(s) from room to room (best if under 40’ straight line of sight), or network equipment even something that Sonos could be sitting on or with 5-10 feet as well. I would normally advise to test Sonosnet on channel 1 or channel 6 as you are on channel 11 but channel 11 seems the most clean channel to use when in Sonosnet. Also, for testing, if you are still setup on static IP address I would ask you correct for that in this testing we are trying.

Lastly, during the testing, if you get the issue again I would ask that you run a speed test from a computer that is wired or wireless on the network from speedtest.net and let us know the up and down mbps results. If you are not running into issues then submit a new diagnostic report number and hold on to it. You can then start to bring your network devices back up and make note of any changes with drops and skips with your music sources.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi John G,

Thanks for the reply.  Our house is quite large and the Sonos equipment is spread throughout the home.  The Bedroom Play:1 (Wired) is probably the furthest away component, but I also have the Play:One and Connect upstairs, and the Lounge is right below the Bedroom with the Playbar, Sub and Play:1’s. 

I can’t understand how I could possible have WiFi interference showing in the last Diagnostic report as ONLY the Router, Sonos and my Samsung phone were on the WiFi network at that time.  All the other equipment was off or disabled.  The DHCP report from the router confirmed that before I started testing.  Our house is detached and I’ve run some WiFi analysis and there are only very weak WiFi signals bleeding from the neighbors.

At present, I have been streaming music from the Play:5 for over an hour, and so far (touch wood) we’ve not experienced any cut outs or skips.  I’ve got most of the equipment in the house and garage switched back on, but have left the WiFi extenders off at present.  We’ll see how things go, hopefully this process has helped. 

Given that I quite recently retired my Sonos Bridge, would you expect the Play:1 to be as efficient as the old Bridge at managing the SonosNET?  Would you recommend a Boost if we continue to see issues?

Would having more than one component wired help any?  At present I have left the Playbar disconnected from the network, is it best to leave it this way or would reconnecting it *and* the Play:1 help the situation?

Regards,
John.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@ripface Thank you for the quick follow up. What changes have you made from my last post testing steps? Any new diagnostic report number? Are you still on a static IP address? Did you read through the article link for reducing wifi interference? You are describing your home setup as part of what that article points point out with home building materials combined with distance between our products. Things affecting your products will show up in the report as interference as to why we are stressing to adjust what you can in your environment. I understand you have a wealth of experience in this field. We are trying to eliminate what can be controlled and build your Sonos setup and network back up to work together.

The Bridge was originally needed to run Sonos, since then you can save your wifi credentials in the memory of our products called station mode. I would not recommend that at this time. When you wired in any Sonos product they start making Sonosnet and each product hears it, creates it and sends it out to the next closest unit, that approximate 40 feet. The more products you can wire to the router will help. If you are using managed switches, extender(s) and Hubs then making sure they are properly configured to allow multi-cast traffic and STP settings will help the communication for your device(s) running the Sonos app to see, control and play to us.

Now, as for the Sonos Boost, I would not recommend that you get the Boost unless their is a distance issue from product to product that needs something to bridge that signal gap. When a Boost is setup to your system it could just be plugged into an outlet to help with passing Sonosnet to your other products. I would look at that as a last option after you can adjust for your home environment and Sonos setup/placement. We can complete the testing steps and confirm where the issue(s) and symptoms may lead us.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi John G,

I do have a wealth of IT experience, but I’m sure you are just as competent with Sonos and SonosNET issues .. an area where I am not an expert.

To answer your question, I have now got streaming to the Play:5 working much better, although I do see the odd skip.  At least it’s not cutting out and stopping completely now.  One change I have made is to decommission the two WiFi extenders.  Whilst testing earlier I was going round the house switching on WiFi devices.  All was well until I switched on the Garage WiFi Extender, and the music on the Play:5 cut out shortly after.  I’ve also discovered a cabling fault that may have contributed, as the Play:1 in the Bedroom is connected into the back of the Router via a 15m CAT5 cable.  It seems there is a loose connection at the router end, so I’ll snip the RJ45 connector off and remake it.  I’ll also re-connect the Playbar to the network, from what you say above it can only help.

I’ll monitor over the next week and see how things go.  Hopefully this will at least make the Sonos experience a bit better, it’s soul destroying to have such an investment in audio equipment not work properly. 

Thanks for your suggestions so far,
John.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@ripface Thank you for the follow up. Please keep in touch us with us here with any testing results, questions or any new diagnostic report number(s) if you are noticing any issues. Our Community users have a great wealth of knowledge as well, but just are not able to view diagnostic reports.