Music cuts out/jumps to next track

Userlevel 1
Worked fine for a month, suddenly it begins skipping tracks or skipping to the next song early when using songs on my iPhone library.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

136 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Michele,

Sounds like there's a connection problem between the device that you're trying to play music off of and your Sonos system. Do you have problems playing from any other sources, such as a music service, or a NAS drive? If you're only getting this message when playing off of the iPhone, you're likely just experiencing stability issues with that connection. Try playing music from the iPhone in the same room as the router to see if it plays better.

We'd recommend starting with checking the wireless channel on your Sonos system and that of your router to make sure the two aren't overlapping. It's best to have at least 5 channels between the router and the Sonos channel. 

If you're seeing this from a network source, such as those iPhones, it may be an issue with latency on the network. Can you please submit a diagnostic from your system and reply back with the confirmation number? 

Cheers.
Userlevel 1
Hello Michele,

Sounds like there's a connection problem between the device that you're trying to play music off of and your Sonos system. Do you have problems playing from any other sources, such as a music service, or a NAS drive? If you're only getting this message when playing off of the iPhone, you're likely just experiencing stability issues with that connection. Try playing music from the iPhone in the same room as the router to see if it plays better.

We'd recommend starting with checking the wireless channel on your Sonos system and that of your router to make sure the two aren't overlapping. It's best to have at least 5 channels between the router and the Sonos channel. 

If you're seeing this from a network source, such as those iPhones, it may be an issue with latency on the network. Can you please submit a diagnostic from your system and reply back with the confirmation number? 

Cheers.

I have the same problem only when connected through iphone. it can't be the connectionI  problem as I am looking at the phone and the wireless connection is good only 5 ft away from the wireless router. 

I have submitted the diagnoses 3925476
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Michele,

Cheers.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the diagnostic. There is a bit of interference hitting your PLAYBAR causing some transmission issues. If your music services are playing fine, but you have trouble with your phone's music library it's still most likely to be the phones connection. Do you have that same music library on your computer? If so, can you try playing that to Sonos and see if you have similar issues?

Please check the wireless channel on your Sonos system and that of your router to make sure the two aren't overlapping. It's best to have at least 5 channels between the router and the Sonos channel.

Thanks
Hello Michele,

Cheers.

Same is happening with me, but only when playing from music library on macbook, first song plays without issue and subsequent tracks skip constantly, I have tried changing channels to no avail. Also, macbook is only 10ft max away from bridge and router. Only solution seems to be to pause on macbook then press play again, but again this only works for one track at a time........
Hello I am having the same issue, here is my diagnostics confirmation number: 4127543
My problem is similar too. When playing music from my music library on my I-Phone or I-Pad, the tracks will sporadically skip, hesitate, stop playing or skip to the next song in my queue. This doesn't seem to happen when playing Pandora radio, only when playing my personal music library.. FYI, my Diagnostic Confirm # is 4146463.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello I am having the same issue, here is my diagnostics confirmation number: 4127543
Hi Alejandro, 

Looks like you already have a ticket open with our support team via email. Please reply back to reference number 141111-000038 if you're still having trouble and they'll be happy to assist.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
My problem is similar too. When playing music from my music library on my I-Phone or I-Pad, the tracks will sporadically skip, hesitate, stop playing or skip to the next song in my queue. This doesn't seem to happen when playing Pandora radio, only when playing my personal music library.. FYI, my Diagnostic Confirm # is 4146463.
Hi Rick,

Looks like you are working with the support team via email too. Just from the diagnostic though, I'd recommend starting with changing your Sonos wireless channel to 11.

Your local tracks are playing from your iPhone or iPad while Pandora plays directly from our Sonos components to the network. The connection strength on your iOS devices looks like it's a bit weak to maintain wireless playback. Changing the channel on Sonos will give you a bit less interference on your home wireless and should improve that signal.

If you're still having trouble, please reply back to that support ticket, reference number 141117-000120, and let them know.

Thanks
Hello Michele,

Cheers.

Thinking maybe my router is too far away perhaps? Not sure though as I can play pandora seamlessly with my iPhone and iPad... It's only songs from my library on these items that skip. Thoughts?
Hello

I am having the same issues that the music from Pandora sometimes doesn't finish or cuts out in the middle.  I have tried moving my bridge further away from my router and still having issues.  I have tried changing channel to 11 on bridge and 4 on my router and still same issues.  My diagnosis ID is #4262701.

Also on my MAC the Sonos app goes from picking up the Sonos5 to not seeing it completely which is in the same room as the router and the bridge just different corners of the room.

Please help this is very frustrating.  Thank you,  Oscar
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello

I am having the same issues that the music from Pandora sometimes doesn't finish or cuts out in the middle.  I have tried moving my bridge further away from my router and still having issues.  I have tried changing channel to 11 on bridge and 4 on my router and still same issues.  My diagnosis ID is #4262701.

Also on my MAC the Sonos app goes from picking up the Sonos5 to not seeing it completely which is in the same room as the router and the bridge just different corners of the room.

Hi Oscar,

Thanks for the details. The diagnostic shows Sonos on 11, the same channel as your router, and we're detecting a lot of wireless interference. So can you please check to make sure those channels are separated out?

Also, where is that BRIDGE wired into the network? It looks like there's a wireless access point being used. Is the BRIDGE wired to a wireless access point which jumps wirelessly back to the router? If so that connection might be suffering when you have those audio playback issues.

Let us know please.
Hello

Hello,

I did double check the channels, I do have the sonos on 11 and I doubled check my wireless router asus on 2.4 antenna on channel 4.  As far as the bridge, as I mentioned above, I moved it from next to wireless (which is located on southwest corner on top cabinet) in my office to a wired location (wired direct from bridge to my router) in same office but next to my MAC PC in southeast corner of the office.  I do have a Sonos Connect in my living room that is hard wired to my access point router (AMPED Router).  I also have a Sonos5 in my office and that one is located in the Northwest corner of my office as well and it struggles to get picked up too.  Please let me know if I can do something to help this out?

Thanks,  Oscar
Hello

Hello,

I read on a blog here to use either use channels 1,6, or 11.  So I went to my settings on my asus router and chose channel 1.  My sonos is still on channel 11.  A few minutes went by and same issues by skipping songs and not playing them all the way through utilizing my songs on my iPhone.  Diagnosis for this time is on #4264204.  Not sure if you can see whats going on with that submittal?  Please advise.

Oscar
Hello, I am looking for Ryan S.(Office Rep)

Please see my comment under Zorro4111.  I have not heard back from anyone yet regarding my issues.  Last diagnosis sent was #4264204.

NEED Help please….
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello, I am looking for Ryan S.(Office Rep)

Please see my comment under Zorro4111.  I have not heard back from anyone yet regarding my issues.  Last diagnosis sent was #4264204.

NEED Help please….

Hi Oscar,

Sorry for the delay. That BRIDGE is still getting hit with a lot of wireless interference which is causing the playback issues. The biggest suggestion right now is to see what other electrical devices are nearby and see about getting some distance. If you have cordless phones, make sure the base stations are a good 15 feet from the BRIDGE.

If you're still having trouble though, I'd recommend giving us a call so a technician can assist live. This'll help get you all set quickly.

Thanks
Hi there,

As I experience the same issues, I'd like to ask if you can check the diagnostic information I sent with #4291154.
I moved my music library to a new computer that I attached to the same switch (wired) as the bridge. The problem continues with the new library location...

Just wondering if a Boost would solve the problem as is comes to wireless interference issues in house that might be related..?

Thanks,
Michiel.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Same problem for me. Solution: Restarted bridge and replaced the ethernet cable between the bridge and the router (I think it was the ethernet cable).
Same problem. Just have one sonos speaker. I don't get the option to change the wireless channel. Diagnostics #: 4485780 
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Same problem. Just have one sonos speaker. I don't get the option to change the wireless channel. Diagnostics #: 4485780 
Hi Elmer,

Thanks for the diagnostic. It looks like your PLAY:1 is disconnecting from your wireless network, potentially causing this issue. As a note, you can't change the Sonos wireless channel because you're running wirelessly off of your home router. When players are connected wirelessly only to the network our own wireless channel isn't being used. Our wireless is used when one of your devices is wired to the network, and then generates a dedicated Sonos wireless for the rest.

I'd recommend starting with rebooting your wireless router by unplugging it for about 15 seconds. Once the router is back up, restart the PLAY:1 by unplugging it for a few seconds. You don't need to press any association buttons, just give it a few minutes and everything should reconnect.

If you're still having trouble at that point, you can change the wireless channel on your router by logging into the administration page and going into the wireless settings.

Let us know how it goes.
could be related, so I'm posting..

Playing "Freebird" on our sonos via songza jumps to the next track in the middle of the guitar solo. No other problems with songs, which indicates to me a caching issue, as Freebird is obviously a longer song.
Thanks! Will try it out
Worked fine for a month, suddenly it begins skipping tracks or skipping to the .next song early when using songs on my iPhone/ipad/imac music library. dose it with Spotify to. My router is next to my play 5 in my living room bedroom has play 3 issue with both players 
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Andrew,

Your PLAY:5 wired to the router or wireless? If it's wired in, you might need to change the channels on your router or Sonos, or both. Can you please submit a diagnostic from your system and reply back with the confirmation number?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
my 
Hi Andrew,

Your players are having a lot of disconnection issues with the router. Can you reboot your wireless router by unplugging the power for 10-15 seconds? Then restart your players and go ahead and test playback for a bit. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks
my 
Hi similar issue. Playing pandora and the music cuts out and skips. Or does not come back. I have an AirPort Extreme in the same room as my bridge which is hardwired to the airport. Also have a netgear power line adapter to my TV in the downstairs living room. But noticed it also has a wifi network. Separated bridge and router about 4 feet apart. Changed cables. Not sure what else to do. Occasionally I get the buffer error or the skipping. I have both the 5gz and 2gz wifi networks set up also.

Diagnostic is