Multiple Libraries and Users

• 3 November 2013
  • 38 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Its going back! . I bought Sonos 5 today and am amazed it can only use one library! How can a household with different tastes use it?
Userlevel 3
Badge
It's amazing this still hasn't been addressed or looked at. I posted this 2 years ago and while streaming accounts seem to have been addressed (though that wasn't really an issue for me, I can see why it would be for others) still no movement or comment on providing any way to have multiple libraries.

Hard to tell if this is even on anyone's radar, feels like Sonos are heavily de-emphasising locally stored music in favour of streaming. I can't remember the last time a feature was added to local library functionality. There are plenty of requests for fixing things there besides this one (e.g., various issues with tags, compilations etc). This one issue is however for me the single biggest one since it basically means instead of keeping things unified and getting an extra Sonos for other people in the house I need to use something else.

How does this not affect more people?
I'm too old to understand all this. I just want my wife to be able to use Sonos when she want and when I want. Thank God I just purchased 2 Play 1s so maybe she and the grandkids can use one and I can go to a closet and use the other. Maybe I should return one and let my wife use the one left behind and I'll just continue using my Bose mini sound link. (Although Sonos sound a hell of a lot better). But after 50 years of marriage my motto is peace above all else.
Badge +1
Pretty new to Sonos and found this searching around. I just might be returning my entire Sonos system if I can't find a way to have two separate libraries. I have all my music in both FLAC and MP3. I want to be able to switch between them when I want to. Shocked at this price it does not do it....or at leas not in an obvious way I have found. All the other post about multiple accounts and users is totally valid as well. Seems so obvious with a multi room system for different people in different rooms with different musical tastes.
Really surprised that multiple profiles/accounts has still not been added as a feature. I have had Sonos for about 5 years now (which has grown to 8 zones), and up until now this has been OK. But now that the kids are getting older and wanting to listen to their music, it would be great if there was an option to select a user, and have just their favorite stations, libraries etc shown. Obviously different accounts could still access some of the same libraries/music accounts etc. Please add this feature as my kids don't want to have all my music to sift through, and I certainly don't want to have their favorites in my mine.
Really surprised that multiple profiles/accounts has still not been added as a feature. I have had Sonos for about 5 years now (which has grown to 8 zones), and up until now this has been OK. But now that the kids are getting older and wanting to listen to their music, it would be great if there was an option to select a user, and have just their favorite stations, libraries etc shown. Obviously different accounts could still access some of the same libraries/music accounts etc. Please add this feature as my kids don't want to have all my music to sift through, and I certainly don't want to have their favorites in my mine.

See my post on page 1 about using Cloud accounts. Set up free Google Play Music accounts for each separate library. Your music can be uploaded to the appropriate Google Play music account(s). You then add each account to your Sonos app, and you will see several Google Play Music libraries, each assigned to a user. You can then set the default user account for each device; your phone gets your library, the wife gets hers, the kids get theirs. Not the same as local music, but it gets you really close to what you want, and for Google, it's free (Amazon also offers free Cloud storage with Prime, Apple cloud requires an Apple Music subscription).
Thanks! (You didn't mention one's mistress having an account. lol) a great help.
Badge
As a new user to Sonos and reading these threads about ongoing issues, the most annoying part is the complete and disrespectful silence from the Sonos reps.......even if its to say "we're looking into it"!!!
Come on Sonos....your products aren't cheap and the users here didn't get them for free......we are all your customers!!!!:?
Have been using my Sonos by myself for two years only just discovered no multiple accounts! That is insane! How rediculous, my only option to have other people use my paid service and ruin my recommendations etc. this is totally unacceptable, had I known I would have never bought one, I don’t see myself purchasing any other devices like the smart module etc now or even recommending Sonos to anyone. How can they miss the mark so badly, they seemed to have it all together in other ways
Sonos, please let us all know when multiple libraries are enabled, or if it will never happen, let us know so I can move to the google play solution as the best alternative and stop waiting.
Sonos, please let us all know when multiple libraries are enabled, or if it will never happen, let us know so I can move to the google play solution as the best alternative and stop waiting.

Since this request is years old, I would imagine you can assume it is not going to happen, and if it does, you can move back from Google Play.
Nope, I'm going to wait until they reply 😉
Then you will be waiting a long time. Sonos very rarely comments on such things.