Moving iTunes songs to Buffalo NAS

• 21 February 2006
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2
Prior to instaling Sonos (4 ZPs anxiously sitting in their boxes), I wanted to move my music to the Buffalo Terastation 0.6TB NAS that I recently bought. Usual reasons: 1) so I can play music while the PC is off, and 2) to free up my PC's hard disk.

So I set up a new shared folder on the NAS, and then in iTunes under Preferences>Advanced I changed the iTunes Music Folder Location to that new folder on the NAS. That done, I then tried clicking "Consolidate Library" under the Advanced menu. This prompted the error message, "The Disk Could Not Be Read From Or Written To".

I checked the settings on the NAS folder. "Writable" was checked, and "Access Descriptions" was disabled.

I wondered if simply copying and pasting the music files across would work. So I selected my entire music library and copied and pasted into the NAS folder. It started copying the songs across, very slowly (it was going to take c. 4hrs for 1300+ songs) but then after a 1/2 hour I got a similar error message as above.

So it seems the problem is something to do with the NAS, but given the fact I was able to write some of the files across there doesn't seem to be a problem with the NAS set up.

So first, can anyone shed some light on what I might be doing wrong and what I need to do to fix it?

And also, once I have moved the library across, what other steps do I need to take to have all my iTunes functionality on the NAS (ripping CDs, new playlists etc.), so it also works with Sonos? I seem to recall some issues with new playlists in iTunes being recognised by Sonos...

Thanks.

11 replies

Userlevel 2
I have had a similar problem in the past copying a library of music from one system to another, PC to PC and PC to Mac. I found that it was caused by a bad file on the SOURCE system! I never figured out what or why, simply because I could not be bothered to spend the time, the music collection goes back to original Napster times and I know there is some junk there, and I did located files that had been reduced to the 8.3 name format - always a bad sign. I ended up initiating a copy from one PC to another - to make it as fast as I could - and then when it stopped, looking at the last folder transmitted and then restarting from the next. Then going back and looking at the folders with errors in them and copying as much as I could. Took a fair amount of time but it was the only way I could get past the problem. It gave me a clean library I could copy anywhere.

Since then I have found a bunch of the 8.3 files which DID copy fine, but I deleted them along with anything else fishy. The bottom line is I can copy the entire mess from one machine to another without issue. I copied it to the Mac share, a second backup and then, after a considerable effort to set up folders the way I wanted, back to the PC as a third backup. I shall be using SureSync to maintain current backup. See http://www.spursuits.com/suresync/suresync.htm.

My library is on an external Mac drive, mounted on the Mac and shared via SMB which required me to set up a custom share, UNIX stuff and not hard - plenty of documentation on how to do it (and one area where the PC shines). The rest of the network sees all the music files just fine.

I ended up turning off the iTunes "Manage Library" and "Copy to Library" options as I want to manage my own library organization. It works fine.

iTunes also does a good job of bulk tag editing which was important to me. Just select a bunch of folders and/or files and do a get info, then edit away.

And finally I found that if I do an Add To Library and point to the root library folder, it seems that iTunes essentially does a library refresh, cataloging new stuff, ignoring existing stuff and eliminating stuff that vanished. I am still investigating this to see whether it is REALLY doing what I hope it is.

Hope this helps.

Lawrence
Userlevel 2
Thanks Laurence. I don't think it's a problem with the files themselves, but I could be wrong. Virtually all my music is from ripped CDs with a few songs from allofmp3.

Thanks for the tip on SureSync - although I hope to be able to get to the point where I only have one copy of my music on the (backed up) NAS.

Anyone with a Buffalo/iTunes config. who has experienced something similar?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I use a Buffalo with iTunes and it just works for me.

In my case, i keep the iTunes library in the default 'my documents' path but I've moved 'my documents' to the NAS.
Userlevel 2
Ben,

So you think just changing the name of the folder on the NAS to .../My Documents/iTunes/... might do the trick?

Is iTunes that fussy?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
So i recently moved from a PC drive to a Buffalo Terrastation. I set the NAS up to be Raid5 and just copied and pasted. I think it was quicker to grow wysteria in the garden than copy the files at first as a 40gig libaray took all night.

Once done, i made sure all my shares were in place, I changed the target directory in itunes and added the new folder, I then deleted the link folder in Sonos and linked to the NAS.

All is well, it works great and after the slow copy things seem to have found their natural order.

Just for extra pain, i then changed to an iMac Intel box and had yet another set of fun for a couple more days before shouting and swearing gave way to jazz and r&b
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Ben,

So you think just changing the name of the folder on the NAS to .../My Documents/iTunes/... might do the trick?

Is iTunes that fussy?

I think you missed my point a little.

In Windows XP, the iTunes library is automatically created under My Documents\My Music\iTunes...

That is normal iTunes behaviour.

In Windows XP, the My Documents folder itself is a special system folder...normally stored in the user's profile on the c: drive. This can be moved to the location of your choice. In my case, I have chosen to store My Documents in a share on my NAS.

I didn't need to change the path in iTunes at all as the path remains valid. My Documents moved...my iTunes library went with it.
Userlevel 2
Thanks Guy.

As you say, and as Sonos tech assistance confirmed, copy/pasting the files from the PC to the Terastation was the way to go - instead of using "Consolidate Library" in iTunes. I did this last night but in smaller batches of about 100 songs. Took a total of about 1/2 an hour, compared to 4+ hrs it would have taken to do all 1300+ songs (8GB) at once (if it hadn't stalled).

I then deleted the Library in iTunes (but not yet from the PC) and imported (File>Import Folder) the songs from the new folder located on the Terastation (took about 45 mins). Worked fine, although my playlists are now empty. How do I get the songs back into the playlists?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
From memory, the playlist is in a different folder than the music, and stored back on teh system. So when you add on the sonos, add the origional itunes directory, I htink it is sotred in a file called itunes library or something, anyhow, once you've done this, you should see your playlist
Userlevel 2
Badge
Was the advice to copy & paste & re-import for speed reasons, or are there other considerations?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Not really a recomendation, just the way I did it and the way it worked for me
Userlevel 2
Sonos tech support suggested that the iTunes "Consolidate Library" function wasn't really up to the task of copying 8GB over in one hit.