Answered

Moved music library to media computer (Windows 7) and now Sonos desktop controller does not import playlists

• 31 May 2018
  • 5 replies

I've searched and can't seem to find an answer. I recently had a laptop (Windows 10) crash and had to move my music library to a media center computer running Windows 7. I installed the latest versions of iTunes and the Sonos desktop controller (as of 5/29/2018) and linked to the music library folder. All my music imports and I can play it just fine via albums, artists, folders, etc. However, none of my iTunes playlists are importing. Very frustrating since I have searched these forums and can't seem to find an answer. I have uninstalled the desktop controller, tried removing and add the library folders, etc.
I submitted a support diagnostic with a confirmation number of 666495107. Any assistance is appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 4 June 2018, 20:10

Yes. I made sure to change all the paths in iTunes when I moved the library over. I'm listening to the playlists right now through my media center computer via soundbar. But they refuse to import into iTunes. I setup my music library on Sonos by adding the "My Music" folder which included the iTunes library which references music on another hard drive (E:\). Sonos added all my music from the E:\ but did NOT import iTunes playlists but the playlists play via iTunes. I also checked the iTunes library XML file and everything seems referenced to the correct directories

Hi TapND,

In your diagnostic report I don't see a share for your computer's Music folder. This is where iTunes stores its playlist file, even if your music is stored on an external drive. Have you copied the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file over from your computer's Music folder to the shared folder on your E drive?
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Do the iTunes playlists work in iTunes? I am guessing the paths in the playlists have changed, so they wont work anywhere until they get fixed up.
Yes. I made sure to change all the paths in iTunes when I moved the library over. I'm listening to the playlists right now through my media center computer via soundbar. But they refuse to import into iTunes. I setup my music library on Sonos by adding the "My Music" folder which included the iTunes library which references music on another hard drive (E:\). Sonos added all my music from the E:\ but did NOT import iTunes playlists but the playlists play via iTunes. I also checked the iTunes library XML file and everything seems referenced to the correct directories
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi TapND,

In your diagnostic report I don't see a share for your computer's Music folder. This is where iTunes stores its playlist file, even if your music is stored on an external drive. Have you copied the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file over from your computer's Music folder to the shared folder on your E drive?
Currently the iTunes xml is under the \My Music\iTunes directory I believe. I have tried removing and re-adding the folders (both the "My Music" folder and the E:\Music folder). But I did not try copying the xml file to the E:\. I will test this when I get home. If this works, then it sounds like I need to copy that over after any changes to playlists. Thanks - I'll give it a shot.
I got it to work through the following steps:
1) Removed all folder entries from the Music Library on the desktop app
2) Clicked the checkbox for "Fix Permission on music files..." under the Advanced tab
3) Added new music library folders by first adding the E:\Music folder and then adding the My Music option under the add folders
4) Music showed up but no playlists. Tried restarting app and computer and re-syncing library with no luck.
5) Noticed that in the app it listed the folders as "iTunes .... E:\Music" and "Music .... "C:\Users\XXXX\Music". I thought that was weird since iTunes is located in the C:\Users directory.
6) Went to E:\Music and checked its properties and noted that the Network Path was "\\COMPUTER\iTunes". I changed the Advanced Sharing to be "Music" and the network path changed to \\COMPUTER\Music. Did something similar with the Users director and switched it to iTunes instead of Music under Advanced Sharing.
7) started up the desktop app and synced the library and my playlists showed up! Family is super happy now.

I did NOT have to copy the .xml file over to E:\Music. I'm not sure if this is normal or my computer just had some weird permissions / sharing going. But hopefully this helps someone else if necessary. If you want me to send another diagnostic, let me know.
Thanks!