Answered

Moved From Amazon Prime to Amazon Unlimited

• 15 March 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +4

I have previously used the Amazon Prime Music service but have now taken up the offer of a free 3 month trial of Amazon Unlimited which offers 90 million songs, many of which are HD. My question is if my Sonos system of Soundbridge 100 and Zoneplayer 90 can handle the HD tracks. Also, is there any way in the Sonos app of seeing if a track is standard or HD ?

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 15 March 2022, 23:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

The Sonos devices that supports Amazon 24-bit ‘Hi Res’ audio are:

• Roam
  • Arc
  • Beam (both generations), 
  • Five
  • Sub (all generations), 
  • Move
  • One
  • One SL
  • Port
  • Amp
  • SYMFONISK Bookshelf
  • SYMFONISK Table Lamp
  • Play:5 (Gen 2)
  • Connect (Gen 2) (Summer 2017–> onwards)

Adding older players to a group, such as (Playbase, Playbar, Play:1(Gen1), Play:3, Play:5(Gen1), ZP80, ZP90(Connect), ZP100, ZP120 (Connect:Amp)) may cause Amazon Music station to change format.

The Amazon Music 16-bit HD, 24-bit UltraHD or Atmos audio ‘badge’ / ‘logo’ is displayed in the Sonos App on the Sonos room ‘Now Playing’ screen… Note: it may take a short time for the ‘badge’ to appear/switch on that screen to reflect the current playing audio.

There’s no badge displayed by the Sonos App for standard audio - below 16/44.1

Userlevel 7

I have previously used the Amazon Prime Music service but have now taken up the offer of a free 3 month trial of Amazon Unlimited which offers 90 million songs, many of which are HD. My question is if my Sonos system of Soundbridge 100 and Zoneplayer 90 can handle the HD tracks. Also, is there any way in the Sonos app of seeing if a track is standard or HD ?

The ZonePlayer 100 should be able to play songs from Amazon Music Unlimited in HD (lossless, 16-bit CD quality) but NOT Ultra HD or Dolby Atmos.

When you are playing songs in HD, you will see an HD badge like this:

Userlevel 7

If you are using the S1 app, you will not see any HD badge, but the stream should still be HD.

Amazon Music and Sonos

Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers can enjoy the highest quality streaming audio, with access to over 75 millions songs in HD (lossless, 16-bit CD quality)

Any reason why this album is showing as ultra HD and not 360 Reality Audio? Same for Neil Young's new album The Barn, it as a Atmos album but the tag shows ultra HD.

Cheers in advance

Sony 360 Reality Audio is not (yet - (perhaps)🤔?) a supported codec. I’ve never seen that announced by Sonos, but maybe one day it might be. For now it seems we get the HD/UltraHD version instead.

Note too that the ‘tag’/‘badge’ in the Sonos App may take a short while to update and show the correct audio quality being played.

@The_Shawn,

The Pink Floyd Track you show in the last screenshot by the way is UltraHD, not Atmos, according to the Amazon Music App. FYI.

@The_Shawn 

If you perhaps try R.E.M. ‘Automatic for the People’ - that album should give you ‘Atmos’ audio.

Note too FWIW, that when playing Amazon Atmos music audio, that the ‘Full’ surround audio setting for music playback on Sonos Home Theatre products is ignored, that’s if you have set that option instead of the default ‘Ambient’ audio output in the HT room settings.

@The_Shawn

If you perhaps try R.E.M. ‘Automatic for the People’ - that album should give you ‘Atmos’ audio.

Thanks Ken, just tried it and it shows Atmos audio..as for 360 Reality Audio, fingers crossed Sonos will update the codec.

Thanks again 😁