Mixcloud skips tracks

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I play mixes on Mixcloud other peoples and my own and after 30 min or more it’ll skip to the next mix. This has been happening for a very long time but as I don’t use it much I’ve never bothered to report it. However now in lockdown so using it a lot now. Diagnostics number is: 612132602

can someone please help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Hi @justy dusty. Thanks for the post. 

I have taken a look at the diagnostic and it seems there are periods in which the Sonos players lose connection to the network. 

I also see that not all Sonos players are communicating with each other. Considering that you have hardwired units, that should always be the case.

I would need to know a little more information about how the Sonos system is communicating to the network. May I get the make/model of all routers, access points, boosters, and switches you operate?

Finally, how is Sonos being hardwired into the system currently?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @justy dusty. Thanks for the post. 

I have taken a look at the diagnostic and it seems there are periods in which the Sonos players lose connection to the network. 

I also see that not all Sonos players are communicating with each other. Considering that you have hardwired units, that should always be the case.

I would need to know a little more information about how the Sonos system is communicating to the network. May I get the make/model of all routers, access points, boosters, and switches you operate?

Finally, how is Sonos being hardwired into the system currently?

Here you go,

Netgear prosafe 16 port gigabit switch gs116

8 port gs108

BT wholehome Wi-Fi 

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-whole-home-wi-fi-088269-CDXH.html

Vodafone wi fi hub (Wi-Fi turned off)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/isp-vodafone-uk-launch-unlimited-5g-and-fixed-broadband-bundle.html

I have an Ethernet network around my house and as you can see some are hard wired and some aren’t, I don’t seem to get a problem apart from with Mixcloud. The speakers are plugged into and Ethernet outlet which is then connected to the main switch which is connected to the router. 

Thanks for the reply.

I would need to assess if the extra layers within the network (the Netgear Prosafe, access point, etc) may be causing network stress between the Sonos player communication.Would you be able to have one Sonos player plugged into the router and have the others disconnected from the switch?

Additionally, I see that Kitchen/Garden is connecting to a wireless access point. Is there a particular Sonos speaker you operate where you hear these audio issues?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’ve unplugged everything apart from my amp. Not that I’ve noticed the kitchen/garden is the sonos move and fairly new and I had these issues before.

wi fi is really solid here.

diagnostics: 354821941

Since making this change, have you experienced any audio issues? 

I would also like to note that playback should be from the Sonos app specifically while we test for cutouts or dropouts. I would not recommend Airplay 2 until we can ensure that the Sonos app is working reliably.

Finally, I would make the recommendation to reboot the router/model, access point, and Sonos players as they may still have these errors logged internally. I would like to clear those logs and see how the system operates moving forward.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I haven’t used it that much, I only get an issue with the Mixcloud app it always skips to the next track after playing for a while. It never cuts out or drops out ever, just skips tracks.

everything unplugged And reconnected switches, router, wi fi and speakers. Had to reconnect the bathroom and bedroom speakers to Ethernet as I had Wi-Fi disabled. Re enabled and unplugged from Ethernet now. Everything working fine as usual.

diagnostics: 402280793.

Thanks for the updated diagnostic.

When you specify that this is happening with Mixcloud, have you tested other music services Sonos offers?

Does the same issue happen if Airplaying the Mixcloud service to a Sonos account?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’ve never had it on any other sonos app service that I’ve noticed, the thing is it can take 30 min until it skips to the next track. I’ve just started something on a couple of the speakers I’ll see when it skips and then submit a diagnostic?

i don’t think it does when I airplay it, I’ll check

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Played a mixcloud mix on my kitchen/garden and kitchen speaker it skipped 3min 30 seconds before this diagnostic 1187003670.

airplaying same track to my bedroom speaker and it’s still playing

Is this skip present if you have the Mixcloud stream being played to only the hardwired speaker?

If so, try to unpair the surrounds and Sub to assess if a direct stream to the Sonos Amp is experiencing an issue.

At this point, we are still trying to determine the root of where the stream is failing to finish. I appreciate your cooperation in this troubleshooting.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The stream wasn’t being played to any hardwired speaker I can do that but it’ll have to be tomorrow now. The aiplayed stream played all the way through no skipping

I’ve checked in with the team and they are working on an issue with the Mixcloud team around long tracks that skip after about 25 minutes of playing.

Do you ever have these skips before about that time period or does it always go about that long?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Seems to be roughly that long. It’s had this issue for a long time, in the past I’ve just used airplay

question for you, am I better off leaving everything Wi-Fi enabled? Was hardwiring some of my system not working properly? I never have problems my sonos is always rock solid it surprised me when you said there were issues.

I would say that if you have not been having any issues with the units hardwired, you can leave it hardwired.

I wanted to eliminate any chance of the issue being network related. I did not see anything concerning besides the track failing to finish.

Currently, our goal is to resolve the issue with Mixcloud as soon as we can. We are aware this specific issue has lasted for awhile.

I would be happy to provide an update once it has been made available to me.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Perfect that would be good, cheers

Userlevel 2

Hi,

Is there an update on this request available yet? I’m having exactly the same problem i.e all other services work perfectly OK but when playing a Mixcloud mix that is longer than 30mins I’m only ever allowed to listen to the first 30(ish) minutes before Mixcloud automatically skips to the next mix in it’s playlist.

The fact that Mixcloud is able to play the next mix in it’s playlist suggests this isn’t a network issue as the connection remains stable enough for it to play something, it just refuses to play the full duration of the mix I requested.

Thanks

I’m having a very similar issue with Mixcloud.

Tracks will skip after 30ish min and then that same track won’t play at all when I tried to start the track over. but another track from mixcloud in my queue will play though. 

I’m eager to hear more about this fix as mixcloud is the only service with this issue on my system. I cannot reproduce this issue on Soundcloud or Spotify so I’m fairly confident it’s not my network.  

Bump! Any updates?

Any updates on this issue?

I am experiencing this same problem as well, with only Mixcloud.

Predominantly the Mixcloud mixes I listen too are around 2 hours in length and will skip part way through. This usually occurs after about 30 minutes of playback.

I do not experience this with any other service. I can listen to Spotify or network shares all day with no issues observed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

Recently we’ve had an outage with Mixcloud and already been resolved. Try to remove and re-dd the music service in the Sonos app then submit a diagnostic report of your system if you’re still getting the same issue. Reply to us with the confirmation number. 

We and the community are always here to help.

Same issue observed after removing and then re-adding the Mixcloud music service.

Problem occurred 40 minutes into an hour long mix.

Diagnostics number is 1922032855.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @URAUC, thanks for your reply and diagnostic. I understand that this is not happening with any other services, but have you tried playing directly from Mixcloud without Sonos involved? After you confirm that Mixcloud is fine without Sonos involved, try to play music using the Mixcloud app then stream AirPlay audio to Sonos (your Play:5 Gen 2 and Port are both AirPlay-compatible). Let us know how it goes. We and the community are always here to help.

I have no issues with Mixcloud using other devices. I can listen using the Mixcloud app or Web interface paired with bluetooth headphones, bluetooth speakers or via USB output to a DAC from a laptop for hours without issue.

I tried Airplay streaming Mixcloud directly to my Play:5s and observed no skipping issues. I rarely use Airplay as I own only 1 Apple device.

The skipping seems to be isolated to listening to Mixcloud through the Sonos app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @URAUC, thanks for trying and updating. Yes, it seems that the streaming connection between Sonos and Mixcloud is unstable. My suggestion would be to try to change the Sonosnet Channel from 11 to 6 and 1. If both channels still giving us the same problem, try to ungroup the rooms and make sure we play it to one room only. After those options and still the same, disconnect all the Sonos devices and router from the power, wait for 5-10 seconds then reconnect the router back to power. Once the internet is back, connect all the Sonos to power then observe. Keep us posted here. We and the community are always here to help.

So after changing the Sonosnet channel from 11 to 6 I have done some listening/testing on both the Play:5s and the Port.

This seems to have rectified the issue and I have not experienced Mixcloud skipping using the Sonos app.

I appreciate the help solving the problem. Thank you.