Answered

Mixcloud live stream

• 7 November 2020
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I have successfully added the mixcloud music service to Sonos.

How do I play a mixcloud live stream?

If I follow a mixcloud user, I can see them in the Sonos App:

Mixcloud > My Profile > Following > {mixcloud user} > Stream

However, all I see is ‘No selections are available’

Is mixcloud live stream supported in the Sonos Mixcloud Music Service?

icon

Best answer by craigski 24 January 2021, 17:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Unfortunately, I don’t have a specific answer for you, but as Mixcloud controls what is sent via the Sonos API to your Sonos system, you may get a better answer from them. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I think it actually the other way around, the Sonos App is using the mixcloud API. I assume Sonos are in control of what features they access from Mixcloud, using the Mixcloud API.

Looking here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3127?language=en_US

It does not say ‘Mixcloud Live Streaming’ as a feature, I wonder if anyone from Sonos can comment if Mixcloud live streaming is supported?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I logged a support ticket with Mixcloud, and they responded quite quickly:

“Thanks for getting in touch. We are actually in touch with Sonos to iron out some issues right now.

I have logged your report of this bug with the appropriate member of our Product Team who will investigate this.

If you experience any further bugs then please let us know so we can investigate and fix them.”

Hopefully Sonos can fix soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I think it actually the other way around, the Sonos App is using the mixcloud API.

No, that is not how this works, else Sonos would have to use ~60 different APIs. Sonos designed one API, and tells each music service to implement it themselves. See https://developer.sonos.com/reference/sonos-music-api/

So this is Mixcloud’s problem to solve. Sounds like they are on it, which is promising.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Thanks both. I have glanced through the above api link, and makes sense now.

I have a work around to listen to Mixcloud Live Stream using Airplay from macbook.

Actually, I’m now wondering if the mixcloud live stream will actually be possible via Sonos Music Service, as its currently a video stream in a browser or their App. After show is ended its saved as an audio file that is playable using Sonos.

Will update here if I hear anything back from Mixcloud.

is there any update on this? Are you able to play livestream from Mixcloud?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Yes, via AirPlay to Sonos.

No, via MixCloud Sonos Service.

I will chase Mixcloud for update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I'm in same boat, have to use our Android box to stream Mixcloud Live to TV, then to Playbar.

Would be nice to have access to Live stream on Sonos app.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Anyone who wants ‘live stream via Sonos’, I suggest opening request to Mixcloud, these things only get developed if enough people request.

https://help.mixcloud.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If you do open a ticket, post back here.

At moment Mixcloud live stream is a video stream with chat features.

Userlevel 1
Badge

There are a couple of the Live streams I use quite a bit and I know that many are video streams so not compatible with Sonos. However the 2 I use the most only have static screens with no other video content and it would be really good to be able to listen via Sonos. I've opened a ticket so will report back when I get a response.

I’d caution you not to hold your breath. From Sonos’ viewpoint, there is no difference between a static screen and anything more active. There’s either a video component, or not, what is carried on that component doesn’t make any difference. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’d caution you not to hold your breath. From Sonos’ viewpoint, there is no difference between a static screen and anything more active. There’s either a video component, or not, what is carried on that component doesn’t make any difference. 

Yep I realise that, I raised the issue with Mixcloud hoping that they may be able to make an audio stream of the Live events available. If enough users request it, perhaps they’d consider it; but breath definitely not being held ;)