Question

Mixcloud connection lost

• 18 October 2020
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 1

Mixcloud connection keeps getting lost or is unable to connect. Not a new problem but getting worse.

Diagnostics: 904598337

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

I have the same issue. I don't know when it started because I haven't listened to mixcloud in a while on Sonos, but I do know that yesterday and today I cannot get mixcloud to play at all  via Sonos. I keep getting a message "the connection to mixcloud is lost". 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

​Hi folks, 

@dckluth , welcome to the Sonos community, and thank you for submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic, there’s a network-related issue in your Sonos system. This usually caused by network communication, either between Sonos devices and your router or between Sonos and the internet.

@jpdudley, thank you for reaching back to us.

We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure. Let me ask to ask a few questions and will give some suggestions on what you can follow.

Have you tried to remove and re-dd the music service in the Sonos app?
Do you experience the same if you play music directly from the Mixcloud app? How about from the Mixcloud website?

If the issue persists, the streaming connection between Sonos and Mixcloud is unstable. My suggestion would be to try to change the Sonosnet Channel from 11 to 6 and 1. Make sure that you play music to one room only. After those options and still the same, disconnect all the Sonos devices and router from the power, wait for 5-10 seconds then reconnect the router back to power. Once the internet is back, connect all the Sonos to power then observe.

if you’re still getting the same issue, please submit a diagnostic report of your system and reply to us with the confirmation number. 

We and the community are always here to help.

Hi,

I a also having the same problem and it has been going on for a couple of months now. It will be ok for a couple of days hen it reverts to not playing. One it looses connection on one mix, it then can’t play any other in the list saying they are either not decoded properly or just lost connection. This can happen when it has just been playing that exact mix!

I have removed and added the service numerous times & re-authorised the account several times. Everything is fine if I play from the Mixcloud app or the website. I am only playing in one room. Do I need to try and reset the Sonosnet Channel as described above?

Many thanks

A-M 

Userlevel 1

I’ve been getting the same issue more and more frequently lately. It also started a few months ago and has been getting progressively worse. I haven’t tried re-authorizing yet, but I have disconnected everything from power and reconnected it. It doesn’t happen with any other streaming service, so I’m convinced is a Sonos/Mixcloud thing instead of an internet/wifi thing.

It happened just minutes ago. I was listening to a Mixcloud podcast on all speakers. I pause due to receiving a phone call. After the call I try to resume and get the “Unable to play ‘<podcast name>’ - the connection to Mixcloud was lost” message. Now nothing from Mixcloud will play.

Diagnostic report: 878210720

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Apparently Sonos have listed Mixcloud as not working at the moment..

Just been messing about with my router but it's a Mixcloud/ Sonos issue..

Any news on when sonos will fix this?

Mixcloud connection keeps getting lost or is unable to connect. Not a new problem but getting worse.

Diagnostics: 904598337

I’m having the same issue. It started a few months ago..

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching us here in the Sonos community. I appreciate you for letting us know about your concern and what you have done so far. Let me help you out with this.

Upon checking the status of our music services, there's no reported issue on Mixcloud. The previous issue has already been resolved.

I'll be asking you some questions to provide you a solution.

1. Do you experience the same on other music services?
2. On which speaker are you experiencing the issue? All or specific? During group or individual playback?
3. Do you experience the same if you play music directly from the Mixcloud app? How about from the Mixcloud website?
4. Do you have a Sonos device wired to your router?

Please try to play music to test the playback on Mixcloud for a few minutes then run a diagnostic. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 1

This issue has been happening for me with increasing frequency for the past few months. It now doesn’t work for me about 50% of the time. I was SO motivated to fix it that I bought a whole new WiFi mesh system and a new cable modem. There is no difference. 

After several back and forth interactions with Sonos customer support it seems that there is no easy solution. The front end support techs are not willing to do anything beyond the ‘turn everything on and off’, ‘let me see your diagnostics’ routine.

I reached out to Mixcloud, but no response there. I’m pretty disappointed, as this is the only music service I really want to use.

There is clearly a technical / server issue between Mixcloud and Sonos and no one wants to try to fix it. And honestly, it’s annoying.

I’m looking forward to transitioning from Sonos once theres a viable whole house solution alternative. I’m over it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @kevin_f, thanks for sharing this with us. We truly value your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations.

Streaming with Sonos requires a stable internet connection to be able to communicate with the music services’ cloud to play with your Sonos speakers. If the system requirements were not met, audio interruptions/issues may be experienced. You may also check the status of your music service from our website if there’s an ongoing outage.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Userlevel 1

@Rowena B. 

I’ve searched through a large number of posts regarding the Mixcloud connectivity issue and see common responses from Sonos Staff stating it’s some kind of user error, as you’ve implied in your response. 

This is not a user error. This is a breakdown in the communication protocol between Sonos and Mixcloud. Even if there is no good solution, please stop trying to pass the buck. 

That said, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Mixcloud issues that people seem to be experiencing is a result of their move to a paid / tiered service. As a free user, when playing through the Mixcloud app I receive warnings about the number of times I can play tracks in a 14 day period. If that warning is a part of the connection / handshake process and hasn’t been accounted for in the Sonos app, I can see how that would throw a wrench in things. If Mixcloud changed something in their API, someone at Sonos probably needs to review how the Sonos app connects to Mixcloud. 

I’m going to try one or two things to see if it changes anything. First I’ll try buying the “Select” plan for a specific artist in Mixcloud. If that doesn’t work then I’ll try going “Premium” instead. I’ll report back here with an update either way.

Userlevel 1

The artist I wanted to test a “Select” plan with is not a Select artist, so I skipped that and went straight to a premium subscription. 

Unfortunately, that made no difference and I’m still unable to play tracks from Mixcloud through the Sonos app. I can still play a track through the Mixcloud app and stream it to my system over airplay, but that is a far less than ideal solution.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ratedblue, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos community and we appreciate all your effort that you have done and for sharing your feedback on this. 

There are no announcements from Mixcloud that there are changes in their API. If there will be any changes or updates, I'm sure that they will inform their customers about it.

Performing basic troubleshooting will isolate the issue if the problem is with Mixcloud or with the Sonos app or if it's a network-related issue for us to provide a solution. 

We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps, and it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to remotely access your device and perform some tests on Mixcloud music service to provide the best option for you.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Userlevel 1

@ratedblue

I’m a paid member at Mixloud. It’s not a free membership issue.

Either Mixcloud is not encoding their stuff exactly to spec for Sonos or something is broken in the protocol between Sonos and Mixcloud. 

@Rowena B. 
While I appreciate you taking the time to respond here, you and the other members of the Sonos support staff are not listening to us. 

SO LET ME YELL IT :)
THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE CONNECTION BETWEEN SONOS AND MIXCLOUD AND NO ONE IS LOOKING INTO IT OR REPLYING TO THE ACTUAL ISSUE.

Please stop saying that it’s our internet, our equipment, etc.

I can see what’s happening here and am able to use EVERY OTHER THING on my network and plenty of the other music services on Sonos. This issue is really specific and you’re just replying with the standard set of Sonos responses. And THAT is why I will stop buying products from your company as soon as there’s a viable option.

Between my houses and three offices that I set up / equipped, I’ve probably bought 50-60 Sonos products over the years. Not to mention the amount of evangelizing I’ve done for pretty much as long as you’ve been around. It’s all going in the other direction at this point.

Any update?

I still can play any mix cloud mixes.

Very occasionally over last few weeks it worked, but now not for days.

Please help

Badge +1

I am also having the same problem for many, many months and it drives me insane as I listen to quite a bit from Mixcloud.

My Sonos system is wired to the router - i.e. no wifi is involved.

Everything else on Sonos plays perfectly, Soundcloud, Spotify, TuneIn radio, private library.  The problem is 100% specific to the way Sonos is interacting with Mixcloud, it needs to be way more resilient when it hits a glitch and recover the connection correctly.

There have been a few characteristics that I’ve observed - (1) if the problem occurs and you have a bunch of other Mixcloud tracks queued up, they will all fail with the issue.

(2) Pausing a Mixcloud track and unpausing it seems to bring this problem on more frequently.

(3) If the problem happens then to make it go away I find I have to play from a different source, e.g. TuneIn or Spotify and then when I switch back to Mixcloud it starts to work again, I’m guessing the module/subsystem is reloaded / reinitialised and then gets rid of it’s bad state.

Sonos please treat this a real problem and not as an environmental one to users configuration.  The fact that so many people are experiencing this problem clearly points to a software issue.

Badge +1

I’ve raised a ticket with Mixcloud about this saying the following. 
“Hi guys,
Just making you guys aware that a lot of SONOS users are having big problems listening to Mixcloud via SONOS.  It's an ongoing problem that is with SONOS, see last post there from today but their engineers aren't giving it any attention.  
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/mixcloud-connection-lost-6849606?postid=16487066#post16487066

You might wish to get in touch with them as it reflects really badly for your users who listen via SONOS even though it's not your fault.”

Perhaps people here could do the same - especially those with paid Mixcloud accounts?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I recently logged a ticket with Mixcloud, with regard to Live Stream, they were responsive and did say they were currently working with Sonos on some issues:

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/mixcloud-live-stream-6850442?postid=16486757#post16486757

As the Live Stream is not currently working with the Sonos Music Service, I’m using airplay from Macbook to Sonos as workaround, I havn’t experienced any dropouts.

Badge +1

@craigski Ahh, I didn’t know about the way the SONOS music API works, interesting that it now seems to an issue on the Mixcloud side of things rather than SONOS :thumbsup:

Badge +1

Same problem here, very irrittating

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

If you haven’t already, log a ticket with mixcloud, they say they are currently looking into it, but if they get more tickets they will have a better visibility of the number of Sonos users with issues:

https://help.mixcloud.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Ticket logged

Let them know

https://support.sonos.com/s/?language=en_US#contact

They should fix that annoying issue!

same issue, using wired connection to sonos, no wireless

diagnostics # 1857498949

no issue playing outside of sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same issue here, will log a ticket at Mixcloud too ...