Question

Migrating from Songza to Google Play

In anticipation of Songza shutting down end of January, I added Google Play Music service to my Sonos. But as soon as I open the Google Play Music service, I get a message saying "Play Music's free radio isn't playable on the Sonos app. Use Play Music or play your purchased and uploaded music."

Will the Songza playlists, now streamable on Sonos, no longer be available once the transition occurs? What I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

30 replies

The Songza playlists have been integrated into Google Music for some time. $9.99/mo seems like very little to pay for unlimited access to millions of tracks, playlists, plus the new YouTube Red.
so am i to believe that songza is now google play and it cost $9.99/mo?
Badge
I've got the same issue
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
dremis wrote:

IBut as soon as I open the Google Play Music service, I get a message saying "Play Music's free radio isn't playable on the Sonos app. Use Play Music or play your purchased and uploaded music."

FWIW....

When I initially added my partner's Google credentials to the Sonos app (using 'Add Music Services'), and then tried to browse her account within the Sonos app (selecting Google Play Music in the sources panel), I got the same error you're seeing: "Play Music's free radio isn't playable on the Sonos app. Use Play Music or play your purchased and uploaded music.".

To get beyond that error, I had to go into Google Play Music directly (as it so happens I used the GPM webapp), and complete her GPM account registration there. This didn't require any payment but did require her registering a payment card with Google Play - this may vary by territory, and I'm not in the US.

Once my partner's GPM account was opened like this, then back in the Sonos app that error you mention went away and she could see the "expected stuff" within her GPM account. As I said, I'm outside of the US and free GPM accounts here only have limited functionality currently, so in her case the "expected stuff" did not include any Songza stuff, just My Library and I'm feeling Lucky mix, but my guess is that in the US you'd then see (or should see) a fuller set of free GPM stuff appearing...

So, my point is that the error message you're seeing is probably misleading (which Sonos / Google should fix) and my experience was that it suggests you've not completed the GPM account opening process on either the GPM website or in the GPM app. Once you have, that Sonos app error you're seeing may well go away. So I'd try that first and then take it from there...
3radhill wrote:

so am i to believe that songza is now google play and it cost $9.99/mo?

Yes, Songza is shutting down in January, but it's full functionality has been integrated into Google Play Music. Amazing bargain, unlimited streaming of 35 million tracks, Songza playlists, auto playlists, and YouTube Red, for the price of a couple Lattes / month. With Sonos, music lovers have never had it so good.
Badge
I am using GPM here https://play.google.com/music/listen?authuser#/now using my plain old Gmail account. Did the device activation as instructed but still getting the same "Play Music's free radio isn't playable on the Sonos app" message.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
OK. What I described worked on my partner's account, so I'm at the limits of my knowledge here...

In your shoes, I would try obvious stuff such as:
(i) Removing and then re-adding the GPM Service in the Sonos app. To remove, look under Settings->My Services, tap the GPM service name and pick Remove account; then use Add Music Service from the main sources screen.
(ii) Reauthorize the GPM service (in the same place as you removed it above).

If still no joy, I'd be calling Sonos Customer Care for input. Good luck!
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
There seems to be a bunch of different Songza threads; before battling further with login issues you should read the Sonos statements in them:

...the end of his thread from a few weeks ago:
https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/songza-shutting-down-6733391/index1.html#post15983671

...and the end of this thread from yesterday:
https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/songzas-going-away-google-play-music-needs-an-update-6733615/index1.html#post15987688

Summary: the free US Songza stuff has migrated to Google Play Music (GPM), but currently you cannot access this Songza Listen Now stuff via the Sonos app unless you're a GPM subscriber. There are workarounds (see the 2nd thread linked to above) that don't require GPM subscriptions, and if you're an Android device user it's a good one.
Badge
Thank you. As a non-subscriber to GPM, I have access to the full gamut of 'options' here https://play.google.com/music/listen?authuser#/now today (just connected using my Google ID) but continue to get the same error on the Sonos app that "you can't play through the Sonos app blah blah blah.....". No 'I'm feeling lucky..." or anything of the sort. I'm in Canada, maybe it's geo specific? I sent an error report to Sonos and am waiting to hear.
Ho Ho Ho......kind of.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
peanuthalo wrote:

As a non-subscriber to GPM, I have access to the full gamut of 'options' here https://play.google.com/music/listen?authuser#/now today (just connected using my Google ID) but continue to get the same error on the Sonos app that "you can't play through the Sonos app blah blah blah.....". No 'I'm feeling lucky..." or anything of the sort. I'm in Canada, maybe it's geo specific?

As a non-subscriber, if you ever get past the GPM login issue within the Sonos app (which should be fixable...), you'll discover that the Songza-type stuff you see in the GPM app or GPM webapp is missing from the Sonos app's GPM section.

The only way you as a non-subscriber can currently access this Songza functionality is directly through a GPM app or GPM webapp. Reading between the lines of Sonos staff comments in those other threads, it sounds like it's possible this could change in the future, but this must have been a Google decision to not expose this functionality to Sonos users who aren't also GPM subscribers, so it's probably not under Sonos's control...

Meanwhile, there are workarounds to get the Songza stuff playing on Sonos without needing to subscribe to GPM, so take a look at that 2nd thread and see if they're any of use to you. If you're an Android user, you're in clover; otherwise, trickier.
I hope this is just a temporary thing because I already subscribe to Spotify and don’t want to pay for a second service just to get the songza playlists I got for free before
I haven't seen anyone complain about the fact that with some of these paid subscription services (Google Play Music, Apple Music), you can only play on 1 device at the time. Note that SONOS is considered 1 device, no matter how many speakers and room set ups you have.
With Songza, I was able to stream via SONOS in my living room and bedroom while I had a the Songza app open on my Mac in the home office and could listen to whatever via my headphones while I worked. My kids listened to their favourite children's music while I rocked out to whatever, all using the single Songza account under my name. When I signed up for the GPM trial, that possibility came down crashing hard as I kept getting messages on my Mac that said that I was already playing GPM on another device and it would finish playing the song, then stop playing the next. Yes, I could then hit 'play' again and the next song would start to play all the while GPM via SONOS was happily playing kids songs in the living room.

Technically, there was nothing preventing GPM from doing this - after all, I can play GPM on different SONOS devices using the same account, even playing different tracks. That's the strength of SONOS. And if I keep hitting the play button on my Mac, I can keep listening to a 3rd GPM stream on my Mac, outside of SONOS. When I contacted GPM Support about this, this confirmed that unlike Songza, GPM does not allow you to play a single account across multiple devices at once. This is the arrangement GPM has with the music studios and artists in a legal agreement. When you sing up to GPM, you actually agree to this 'limitation' as well, according to them. The TOS say "Google may at any time place limits on the number of Devices and/or software applications you may use to access Products, at Google’s discretion. Google may record and store the unique device identifier numbers of your Devices in order to enforce such limits."

Obviously, this would not be an issue if I could simply use the SONOS app on my Mac to add a 3rd 'room' (my home office) and use the Mac's audio output to play GPM through my headphones. I've been reading about alternative ways to hook up a pair of headphones to get SONOS this way, but this seems either expensive or cumbersome to set up. Any advice or tips in this area would be appreciated, though!
Does anyone know why I see this message when I launch GooglePlay via Sonos: Play Music's free radio isn't playable on the sonos app. Use Play Music or play your .... I have confirmed I am signed into Sonos with the same email address as what I have registered with Google.
I have read through these responses and it's unclear how to actually get GPM on Sonos. I used to listen to Songza daily --- so frustrated.
Everything you want to know about Google Play Music and Sonos:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1884

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2489
Thanks, but now I am even more confused. Essentially I want the same listening experience as Songza...currently I am unable to see Google play inside the sonos Controller as it refuses to authorize.
Exactly!!! This is the message I have received as well!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
You'll need to create a Google Play Music account if you haven't yet. Songza as a service is gone and their accounts aren't valid anymore. If you're in the US or CA (where Songza was available) you can go here http://www.sonos.com/songza-google for a special 90 day trial of the Google Play service to test out their full subscription. This is only available if you haven't used a trial of Google Play Music within the last year and you will need to put in credit card information.

Unfortunately the free tier of Google Play Music doesn't have access to the Songza stations on Sonos yet, we're working on that. We went into more details here on the Songza merger into Google, https:// https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/songza-moving-the-music-over-to-google-play-6735016.
Thanks Ryan..you're half way there....Turns out Sonos+ Google Play does not support IOS devices. Andriod works but not Apple.. I listen to free Google Play music via iphone only and it works great..try to connect with Sonos and no dice.

Oh well, guess i'll have to wait.
@agraywall why not sign up for the 90 day Google Play Music trial? This will keep your Songza playlists going on Sonos, maybe by the time your trial runs out the free GPM will work. (or you like GPM and keep the sub).
Foxfire wrote:

I haven't seen anyone complain about the fact that with some of these paid subscription services (Google Play Music, Apple Music), you can only play on 1 device at the time. Note that SONOS is considered 1 device, no matter how many speakers and room set ups you have.
With Songza, I was able to stream via SONOS in my living room and bedroom while I had a the Songza app open on my Mac in the home office and could listen to whatever via my headphones while I worked. My kids listened to their favourite children's music while I rocked out to whatever, all using the single Songza account under my name. When I signed up for the GPM trial, that possibility came down crashing hard as I kept getting messages on my Mac that said that I was already playing GPM on another device and it would finish playing the song, then stop playing the next. Yes, I could then hit 'play' again and the next song would start to play all the while GPM via SONOS was happily playing kids songs in the living room.

Technically, there was nothing preventing GPM from doing this - after all, I can play GPM on different SONOS devices using the same account, even playing different tracks. That's the strength of SONOS. And if I keep hitting the play button on my Mac, I can keep listening to a 3rd GPM stream on my Mac, outside of SONOS. When I contacted GPM Support about this, this confirmed that unlike Songza, GPM does not allow you to play a single account across multiple devices at once. This is the arrangement GPM has with the music studios and artists in a legal agreement. When you sing up to GPM, you actually agree to this 'limitation' as well, according to them. The TOS say "Google may at any time place limits on the number of Devices and/or software applications you may use to access Products, at Google’s discretion. Google may record and store the unique device identifier numbers of your Devices in order to enforce such limits."

Obviously, this would not be an issue if I could simply use the SONOS app on my Mac to add a 3rd 'room' (my home office) and use the Mac's audio output to play GPM through my headphones. I've been reading about alternative ways to hook up a pair of headphones to get SONOS this way, but this seems either expensive or cumbersome to set up. Any advice or tips in this area would be appreciated, though!

i just noticed this the other day. I can't listen to GPM through SONOS and a browser simultaneously. Even if I'm listening to the free stations in both places. This was not an issue with songza. I wish GPM would recognize the difference between free and paid content and allow the free content to be played on multiple devices using the same account.
I wrote yesterday to Sonos support asking them what they would propose since their website claims as well that the Songza services are available with GPM. The answer came witch info I already had, i.e. that I can play my musics from the GPM app on my cell phone. As several of you mentioned, without the ability to play free music without the need to be connected to a cell phone or a tablet, Sonos is no more than a loudspeaker and has lost one major advantage. For the same price, I could have had at least 2 high-quality Bose HP.

So Sonos support, pls. make pressure on Google so that the free library service is available again soon.:@
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
fibag21 wrote:

So Sonos support, pls. make pressure on Google so that the free library service is available again soon.:@

We'll pass the word on. If you haven't used it yet, if you're in the US or CA there is a 90 day trial for the paid Google Play Music service you can check out here: http://www.sonos.com/songza-google. It does require you to put in a credit card, but there isn't a charge. And you're only eligible if you haven't used a trial or coupon with Google Play yet.
Any update on this? My free trial is about to run out and I don't intend to pay more than my current Spotify subscription for a free service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
phil b wrote:

Any update on this? My free trial is about to run out and I don't intend to pay more than my current Spotify subscription for a free service.

Thanks for asking phil, no update to share right now, but as soon as there's any news we'll let everyone here know.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings