Answered

Media Server setup

• 28 February 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 7 replies

Hi All

I Have a Sony Bravia and Sonos Home speaker setup.

I have my own music that i like and listen to and have no particular interest in other types of music.

So i don't want to pay Deezer Spotify Amazon etc etc for the privilege of listening to the music i already own….!

I was using Google Play and this was working great then we were all forced in to YTM and now the Bravia does not show any of my playlists albums artists let alone plat anything so you can imagine how unimpressed i am !!

There are no other apps that support upload of music (iBroadcast being the one exception but that does not have an Android compatible App at the mo..)

So i'm thinking of setting up a very small NAS box (only need a single disk) The Music app on the Bravia detects the Beam and looks for a music library on its IP address (of which i dont have one right now)

Can anyone recommend something that works is compact, small (1-2 drive bays) and relatively inexpensive !!

Does this plug directly in to the back of the Beam via the ethernet port or in to the Router..? 

Cheers in advance

Paul

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 March 2021, 11:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PK101 

Thanks for your post.

You should be able to add your YouTube Music account to Sonos and play from the Sonos app, but as you clearly used to use the TV, perhaps that’s what you still want to do? This is something maybe only Sony can resolve, though they’re unlikely to if they’ve already stopped supporting your model of TV.

Regarding a cheap solution to get a NAS running, by far the cheapest would be to plug a USB drive into your router (but only if your router supports file sharing via SMBv1 from it’s USB port - not all do).

The second-cheapest solution would be to get a SBC (Single Board Computer) like the Raspberry Pi (£10 - £40 depending on model) and a microSD card big enough for your music collection. This solution can get quite technical, but there’s lots of help online. You don’t need a monitor or peripherals for this device, as it could run headless with just power and (maybe) ethernet connected. You can get free software for it such as FreeNAS or OpenMediaVault to share your music locally.

I can’t really recommend any dedicated NAS devices that are plug-and-play, but perhaps others in the community can.

Any NAS solution would plug into your router directly for the best performance.