Question

Major Spotify regressions in S2

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I typed this out and it got lost, so you’re getting a shortened version.

Spotify often starts playing a random playlist when I tell ask the speaker to ‘Play Spotify’ via Google Assistant. For instance, my Arc had been grouped with the rest of my house and was playing the ‘Discover Weekly’ playlist. I then watched some TV, then asked it to play Spotify again. It started playing the ‘Sublime’ playlist, which I haven’t listened to in MONTHS.

Additionally, it usually takes two voice invocations to get Spotify playing when it’s been idle for a while. The first one gets a positive response from the Assistant, but neither the Sonos nor Spotify apps think that the speaker is playing. I have to say it again to get it going.

Please, please, please fix this, the current behaviour is INFURIATING. I miss the S1 behaviour where it would simply resume playing whatever the most recent device was. As an example, it used to be great that I’d be listening to Spotify on my phone, then get home and just ask Sonos to play Spotify and it would pick up playing whatever I had on my phone.

Diagnostic ID: 668320432

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Spotify seems to need two ‘OK Google, Play Spotify’ commands to actually start playing music.

I have the exact same issue with Spotifiy needing 2 voice commands before it plays despite a positive response from Alexa.

Diagnostic - 1576990088

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Another Spotify issue is that when trying to use Spotify Connect from within the Spotify app, it takes two attempts to connect, and usually requires that you resume playing to get it to actually play after it connects.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @koppah and @gregoryaldridge.

Thanks for reaching out and for the detailed post.

When issues like this spring up,  the more information we can gather will help us resolve the problem.

The best thing to start with is to make sure your Sonos device(s) is fully configured for Google Assistant and Spotify.

• So first off, do any other playback commands work from Google Assistant on Sonos?
  • If you ask your Sonos voice-enabled device to play an internet radio station, does that play?
  • If you go into the Sonos app, are you able to play Spotify on Sonos (not using the Google Assistant)?
  • On that note, if you open your Spotify app, are you able to play directly to your Sonos device?

For Spotify Connect / Direct Control issues, we need to verify the following details:

• Update both apps - check for updates before testing playback again
  • The device should use the same network as Sonos.
  • What speaker you’re attempting to connect to?

Please take a new diagnostic after the issue was replicated and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and it will also help in identifying what's causing the issue.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @Annazel S , thanks for following up.

I’ve already followed these troubleshooting steps before:

1. All playback commands work on Google Assistant
  2. I can play Internet Radio fine if I use TuneIn
  3. I can play Spotify directly from the Sonos app
  4. I can play Spotify from the Spotify app, but it often takes 2 attempts to get it to connect and actually play
  5. Both Spotify and Sonos are fully updated
  6. Devices are on the same network
  7. Speaker doesn’t matter, this repros across all speakers

The diagnostic that I submitted originally is immediately after a repro. If it doesn’t show what you need, could you please provide a clear set of repro steps that you want me to try?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @koppah.

Thanks for the response and for the additional details you provided.

To reproduce the issue, please try to shut down and restart the Spotify App, then attempt to connect to the same speaker again.

You can also try to re-authorize the Spotify account to Sonos by removing and re-adding it back.

Then, please submit a new diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Amusingly, I tried to repro now and it worked first time. Will try again later today

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Repro of trying to start Spotify with Google Assistant on Bathroom speaker. First time, it correctly tried to start the playlist that I’d been listening to downstairs, but no music actually played. Second attempt started a playlist that I don’t think that I’ve ever played. I just said ‘Play Spotify’

Hi

i have done all those steps. Voice services are working. I just used Alexa to play a song. It confirmed by voice return ‘playing X by X from Spotify’ and then nothing happens. 

this diagnostic is from the moment after that failure 

thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @gregoryaldridge.

Thanks for the response and for the updates.

Kindly try to ask Alexa for the time and for the weather and please note how it will respond.

This article provides steps to resolve issues with Alexa not following commands, not responding at all, or responding with an error.

I would also like to recommend the following steps based on the order it is provided:

• Log out of all  Amazon-related apps such as Amazon Prime, Amazon Shopping, Amazon Alexa, etc.
  • Open the Amazon Alexa app and disable the Sonos Skill.
  • De-register any Sonos product on the Alexa App.
  • Open the Sonos App.
  • Remove the Alexa Voice service.
  • Force close Sonos app.
  • Force close the Alexa App.
  • Reopen the Sonos App. Add Alexa as voice service.
  • Open Alexa app Add Sonos as skill
  • Register Sonos speaker
  • Add music service.
  • Test to check if it works. (Please specify the room name of the target speaker for the playback.)

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Hi Annazel. This appears to have worked. However with the problem being inconsistent before I will check back in here again if it happens again 

thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @gregoryaldridge.

Thanks for the update.

That was awesome, it’s so nice to hear that we seem to resolve it this time, I appreciate your patience and cooperation.

No worries, if it will happen again, you can always reply back here and I can take a look.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are here to help.

You are always welcome in the community.

Cheers!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Annazel S - I don’t think that this thread is resolved. I submitted a diagnostic per your request. Did it show anything useful?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @koppah.

Thanks for the response and sorry to hear that the issue persists.

The submitted diagnostic provides us with a snapshot of your system, it’s best getting it while the issue is happening.

At this point, it might be best to reach out with Sonos Support, to take a closer look in real-time.

I recommend calling in phone support for they have more options available for advanced troubleshooting.

The toll-free contact number is 1-800-680-2345

Their hours of operations are Mon-Fri 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM EST.

hi Annazel. The problem is back. 

normal Alexa voice commands working. I request a song and it replies positively and then nothing happens until I request again. 

diagnostics below

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @gregoryaldridge.

Thanks for reaching out and for the update.

At this point, it might be best to reach out with Sonos Support, to take a closer look at the diagnostic in real-time.

I recommend calling in phone support for they have more options available for advanced troubleshooting.

The toll-free contact number is 1-800-680-2345

Their hours of operations are Mon-Fri 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM EST.

Is this toll free from within Australia?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @gregoryaldridge.

Thanks for your response.

The toll-free number provided above is for the US, you would need to visit the Sonos Support website and select your country to generate the specific support contact number.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Hi

the issue has evolved somewhat. Despite not having an amazon music account when I ask for a song via Alexa (all normal services working) it says ‘playing specific songs is only available on Amazon music accounts’

this clearly is available on Spotify on Sonos but not being activated 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @gregoryaldridge.

Thanks for your response and for the update.

I see, it seems that Alexa is playing the song from its default music service which is Amazon Music.

When asking Alexa to play music, the song will begin playing from Alexa’s default music service unless you specify a different service in your command.

Please ensure that the music services you have in the Sonos app. is also linked to the Alexa app.

Then, try to command Alexa to play the song from a specific music service.

Here is the link to set or change your default music service in Alexa app, please click here.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.