Macro / presets

• 22 September 2005
  • 61 replies

• Trending Lyricist I
  • 20 replies
Just got the intro bundle, and I am impressed. I did a search and did not find this suggested, but I would save Zone links as favorites. With only 2 ZPs it is not a problem yet, but when I add more it maybe. I would like to setup say Morning mode for the units I want in the morning and a preset volume between the units. Another example I would have 2 party modes, Summer and Winter. The Summer mode would include the deck speakers and the Winter mode would not. Also it would be nice to have playlists or radio station associated with each mode. So when I get up I press Morning the DI Chill radio station plays.

Jeff

Would you use 'house-presets'?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Badge
So.... I guess Sonos doesn't listen to customers.... Cuz.... this is one of the most (if not the most) requested feature and it's been outstanding for YEARS. So thanks for keeping us in the past and always wishing Sonos!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Can't believe this suggestion is a decade old and Sonos hasn't implemented it yet. Their end of August, 2016 announcement had better be the most superb integration with Amazon's Alexa voice control ever or else!
Userlevel 1
Badge
It has been 10 years since this feature was requested. 10 years! I would actually buy more Sonos speakers if it wasn't such a pain to reconfigure everything constantly.

Seriously, this must be easy to implement??

it's hardly a pain to group/ungroup rooms. It takes seconds. In fact less than seconds.

If you're suggesting you have to re-configure because your current groups are lost then you have network issues you need to resolve as groups will remain unless un-grouped or you turn speakers off or you have network issue.

I can't agree Stuart.

So in my situation, I have a Play 5 connected to the television through via the line in. It's usually used like a Playbar (which is too big for my situation). I have a Play1 in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom.

In the morning, I have an alarm set in the bedroom to bring on the radio. I'd like to be able to have the radio playing on all speakers every morning. Sometimes I want to have the line in from the TV playing on the Play 5 as well as in the kitchen so I can hear the tv moving from room to room. The volume needs to be turned right up for the line in vs radio.

These are just a couple of scenarios, where input/speaker combo/volume need to be re-adjusted each time. It doesn't take "less than seconds" as you suggest.

This is why I want presets, available on the first screen of the App, and to be able to apply them to alarms.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It has been 10 years since this feature was requested. 10 years! I would actually buy more Sonos speakers if it wasn't such a pain to reconfigure everything constantly.

it's hardly a pain to group/ungroup rooms. It takes seconds. In fact less than seconds.

If you're suggesting you have to re-configure because your current groups are lost then you have network issues you need to resolve as groups will remain unless un-grouped or you turn speakers off or you have network issue.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 2
Please enable group volume presets for all zones.
Userlevel 2
The Sonos Controller app should include quick access presets that include a combination of the music source, a combination of speakers, and volume settings for each speaker.

It often requires many taps through several menus to return to a frequently used configuration of source and speakers and volume. But a single button added to the home screen could bring up a Quick Access menu. That menu would contain pre-programmed "sonic scenes" a user could select with one more tap.

For example, I'd have a preset for the speakers and volume settings I use to listen to NPR in the morning and evening. Making this and other predefined "scenes" available with just two taps would dramatically enhance the usability of the Controller App.

Thanks for considering my idea.
Rip

Suggested tags: controller, app, presets, quick access, convenience
I dream of being able to save room volume settings with a Playlist.

I wish for a way to save Volume levels anywhere other then the Alarm settings.

Please?

Thanks for listening...

David
Badge
It does, and I use favorites for most everything, but it still requires pressing zone, music button, favorites, playlist selection, play now. I am not at my Sonos right now, so that is from memory, but it is still usually around 5 presses on a phone controller.

If there were some preset/favorites options from the home or music screen, it would reduce that some. Just removing the last "play now" button press would help a little. I think the other option is "info," but I never use that. It is just not a very efficient user interface, and anything that can get my music playing with fewer screen taps makes me more likely to use it more frequently.

EDIT: Actually, make that more like 7 presses (I forgot about Play All tracks and some other press).
That's what the "Favorites" screen is for, add the most commonly used stations in there (dunno if it works for playlists, I don't use them).

I can confirm that the "Favorites" selection also works perfectly for Playlists.

Best of Luck
Userlevel 1
Yes. Currently far too many button presses to get something going right now through the controllers. Especially if you routinely go to one or two favorite playlists or stations most.

That's what the "Favorites" screen is for, add the most commonly used stations in there (dunno if it works for playlists, I don't use them).
Badge
Yes. Currently far too many button presses to get something going right now through the controllers. Especially if you routinely go to one or two favorite playlists or stations most.
Userlevel 1
Yes but again you need to make these points at ask.Sonos.com, Sonos doesn't read these forums.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
For example I could have a Preset Button named 'late night upstairs' and could get preset volume levels for every room as I always have that time. Another preset button could be 'disco' and then I would get quite high volume in every room.

And furthermore, the preset button would determine the source like Spotify or Line-In.

That would be a nice and cool feature, wouldn't it?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Have a look for Macronos on Google Play.
Thankyou wadgel! I hadn't seen this App, and I'll certainly be buying it.

(I hadn't been looking for Sonos-related Apps on Google Play ...)

I see from the reviews on Google Play that (for me) it's "not yet perfect ...", but hey ... what is?! And it's a near certainty that it'll grow and improve over time. Excellent thanks!

It should fit nicely into my use of my Nexus 7 as a semi-dedicated controller for Sonos.

Colin P.
Have a look for Macronos on Google Play.

Obviously only useful if you have an Android device.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
+1
Yes please Sonos. I vote strongly to have 'house presets' or a similar 'macro' function added to a future Controller update - to let me switch more easily between my different uses of my Sonos system.

I listen to many voice/spoken podcasts as I walk and work between different rooms.

Or I listen with delight to my loud music through my main speakers as I work at one particular desk.

For the rest of the time I listen in only some of my rooms to quiet background streamed radio, which doesn't impede conversations or phone calls etc..

That's three very different sets of volume + speaker on/off settings, and equalisation settings too (for the podcasts), which are a real chore to tweak backwards and forwards each time I change my 'work mode'!

Please please ...

Colin P.
Userlevel 2
Dongennl nailed exactly what I'm hoping Sonos develops. I have 24 zones in my house and audio level setting is a chore.

The analog in the lighting world would be Lutron's Homeworks QS or RadioRA system. Keypads typically have 1-4 scenes for how each light should behave. For example, our kitchen lighting Lutron keypad has "All on", "Cook", "Eat", "Relax" and "Night."

My sense is that Sonos has a ton of growth potential in the whole house automation market. Creating volume "scene buttons" will really help make Sonos attractive to system designers.

PS THANK YOU SONOS!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!

Hi,
Love my 4 zones, but what I'd really like to see added are 'house presets', a 'recipe' for a number of or all zones. A bit like alarms, but not necessarily timed, and for multiple zones.
They would be definable whole-house states, a bit like Lutron lets you pre-programme all your lights in various rooms to change on a single button, example:
- 'Home after work': 2 zones on an internet radio station that plays background lounge music, 1 zone in bathroom on a predefined playlist
- 'Sunday morning': another combination of playlists, radio stations and volumes for a number of or all zones.

Think this would also be a great feature for large installations in hotels, shops, spas, etc. that don't have time to setup/manage each zone separately.

Anyone else have similar needs?
best
Userlevel 1
Badge
+1 here!
Userlevel 2
I love my sonos !

Sonos controller on my computer or on iOS is great and always improving.

One feature would be really usefull : shortcuts.

For example : It would great if I could easily create one button (easily reachable) that would directly launch my favourite radio in the kitchen.
Or another that would launch this spotify playList in the living room at 60% of the volume.
Or "random music" from my library all over the house.

Even better : one of the shortcut could be activated directly on the player, without using the controller (for example, by pressing 3x the volume + button)....

I'm sure you, at Sonos, have a lot of ideas. But everything you can do to make it faster to launch music would be great !
Badge +5
From a post a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatemike View Post
1) Grandma Mode (similiar to "One Touch On") The ability to configure a CR200 controller so the Home button is re-purposed to toggle a specific play list or Internet Radio Station On and Off in a specific zone. This way, no matter what state the controller or zone player were last left in, Grandma can turn on the radio using only the hard buttons and it will always work for her. Other family members can still override the default setup using the menus on the touch screen so there is no loss of functionality for everyone else... it just means Grandma can now use the system without always having to ask for help.
GRANDMA MODE ... YES!!!! AKA HUNGOVER AND CRAWLING INTO THE SHOWER MODE.

It should also allow setup for default volume and sleep timer. AKA DRUNK AND ABOUT TO PASS OUT MODE
Userlevel 2
I would like to see a feature which allows me to define linked zones together with volume and the music source (e.g. a certain radio station) as presets.

So I would be easily able to play a certain music source on my favourite players with the right volume on all speakers without defining that every time.

Just as switching on a normal radio, e.g.

Would be great to see that some time in future!
Userlevel 2
Hi,
Love my 4 zones, but what I'd really like to see added are 'house presets', a 'recipe' for a number of or all zones. A bit like alarms, but not necessarily timed, and for multiple zones.
They would be definable whole-house states, a bit like Lutron lets you pre-programme all your lights in various rooms to change on a single button, example:
- 'Home after work': 2 zones on an internet radio station that plays background lounge music, 1 zone in bathroom on a predefined playlist
- 'Sunday morning': another combination of playlists, radio stations and volumes for a number of or all zones.

Think this would also be a great feature for large installations in hotels, shops, spas, etc. that don't have time to setup/manage each zone separately.

Anyone else have similar needs?
best
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi,

I had the idea to have a setting from the controller or controller software to choose a settable configuration of players and volume setting, such as "Party - LOUD" or "Living Room - Soft" or "Pool - Chat". The owner could design presets of his/her own that fit certain players or sets of players with a certain volume level on each player.

My 2 cents....

Thanks. Love SONOS!
Badge +9
and the natural 2nd step would be to have the macro be an option for the alarms, so your alarm at a set time could call the macro, setting up what the OP mentioned.