Macro / presets

• 22 September 2005
  • 61 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Mine does regularly. Every time I start my playlist, I have to go to shuffle, without exception. Sure, as long as it is uninterrupted, fine. But if I do something else, then reload my queue, I have to go back to shuffle. Not that this has much to do with my idea, exactly.
Play mode (i.e. shuffle and repeat) are a zoneplayer settings, clearing the queue, adding songs etc should have no effect on it. If you're seeing otherwise please let me know as i believe it is a bug and would like to track it down. (the one exception is linking rooms, the queue that wins is also the play mode that wins).

best,
-graham
Userlevel 2
I'd like to personally invite all moderators to please delete their unhelpful messages, thank you. Otherwise, I'll have to restart this thread and specifically request at the top "no moderators" and then have a chat with Sonos. If I wanted sarcastic, unhelpful people in my life, I'd sell Sony, thanks.

This is an open user forum. You are able to post your suggestions here and other users are able to reply. I guess Sonos can get some kind of guage of how popular a suggestion is by the responses it gets.

There are many suggestions on the forum, and not all of them are good. Some are suggestions to alter the way the current software/controller works. Sometimes people take exception to such suggestions if they feel they would worsen rather than improve the UI for them.

As an example there was a recent suggestion to change the way the queue system works. I voiced strong opposition, as I prefer the way it works now. However a couple of suggestions that have received almost univesal agreement are:

1) If a track is playing when you clear the queue, that track continues to play unless you stop it first.

2) A "replace queue" option alongside "add to queue"

Sometimes when suggestions are made, others might feel they are not beneficial to the system. You are a saleman and feel you have something useful to contribute. Most of those who post on this forum are users who have built up experience of the system over time. Their opinion is pretty valuable.

Don't take it personally, they're only opinions, and none of them are intended in an ill-natured manner.
I'd like to personally invite all moderators to please delete their unhelpful messages, thank you. Otherwise, I'll have to restart this thread and specifically request at the top "no moderators" and then have a chat with Sonos.
I agree with you, this is starting to border on being non-constructive... i'm sure no one meant any offensive.

All opinions are welcome, which inherently means that contrary opinions will need to be tolerated (which includes user moderators opinions as they are just Sonos users who have agreed to help out on the forums). Though there is no reason that everyone shouldn't be polite.

If I wanted sarcastic, unhelpful people in my life, I'd sell Sony, thanks.:D

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Best,
-graham
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Back to the subject. I called it "favorite folders" because it's NOT just playlists. It's genres, artists, *whatever*.

Here's the thing about these buttons. They could:

1. Recall a favorite radio station so one press activates it.
2. Recall a single playlist, genre, artist, etc for instant access.
3. Recall *multiple* playlists for instant access, such combining two similar genres or your three different bands or shuffle both you and your wife's music. Your choice.
4. Alternatively, for those that despise the idea so much, have "saved configurations", like saving your linkages for "Party Mode" in which 3 or 4 zones are automatically linked and, optionally, a particular playlist started.

And it would save your preferred play mode as part of the memory.

Ah in that case, this appears to be a suggestion for some kind of macro button. This has been suggested before, so, as I've done with many others, I'll merge it with the existing thread to avoid duplication.
Userlevel 2
How about some form of macro?
I regularly find myself tuning into the same radio station in the morning.
It would be great if I could push one button and the controller could do it all for me as opposed to 4 or 5 buttons and a few scrolls!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I'd like something akin to "speed dial" buttons, programmable, so by hitting one button, rather than several buttons and wheel spins, I could immediately get say a) radio station WWOZ New Orleans, or b) two particular favorite albums, c) a particular playlist playing in random order, or d) our CD player. This might be workable using the 3 buttons on the bottom left, or with new buttons on the remote, but would I think be a very cool and valuable addition to a GREAT product. Many thanks.
Userlevel 2
Excellent idea! Coming from Roku devices, they had a nice feature "presets" that could be any URL, playlist, album and so on.

A nice "shortcuts" menu would be appreciated.
Userlevel 2

It would be great if I could push one button and the controller could do it all for me as opposed to 4 or 5 buttons and a few scrolls!

Press the "read-my-mind" button and the controller works out exactly which songs I want to hear and at what volume and in which zones....

.... Oh ....

.... You mean that's not what you had in mind ?

Paul
- well it is Friday 🙂
Userlevel 2
At bedtime, i almost always switch to a particular internet radio stream, set the sleep timer to 15 mins, and add my bedroom zone, and drop my study zone.

This would be really cool if there was macro or scripting to allow me to automate this and call it "go to bed...."

Maybe the mac version supports applescripting? I'm not good at applescript tho.

Something that would be esoteric, but good for folks like me.
Userlevel 2
I would Like to be able to Record macros, name Them and have Them as icons in the opening display of my controlled. That Way i could Pick my controllere up in the morning, Press the "good morning" macro wich starts my favorits radiocannel up and creates a zone for both my Livingroom and kitchen.
Badge +9
and the natural 2nd step would be to have the macro be an option for the alarms, so your alarm at a set time could call the macro, setting up what the OP mentioned.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi,

I had the idea to have a setting from the controller or controller software to choose a settable configuration of players and volume setting, such as "Party - LOUD" or "Living Room - Soft" or "Pool - Chat". The owner could design presets of his/her own that fit certain players or sets of players with a certain volume level on each player.

My 2 cents....

Thanks. Love SONOS!
Userlevel 2
Hi,
Love my 4 zones, but what I'd really like to see added are 'house presets', a 'recipe' for a number of or all zones. A bit like alarms, but not necessarily timed, and for multiple zones.
They would be definable whole-house states, a bit like Lutron lets you pre-programme all your lights in various rooms to change on a single button, example:
- 'Home after work': 2 zones on an internet radio station that plays background lounge music, 1 zone in bathroom on a predefined playlist
- 'Sunday morning': another combination of playlists, radio stations and volumes for a number of or all zones.

Think this would also be a great feature for large installations in hotels, shops, spas, etc. that don't have time to setup/manage each zone separately.

Anyone else have similar needs?
best
Userlevel 2
I would like to see a feature which allows me to define linked zones together with volume and the music source (e.g. a certain radio station) as presets.

So I would be easily able to play a certain music source on my favourite players with the right volume on all speakers without defining that every time.

Just as switching on a normal radio, e.g.

Would be great to see that some time in future!
Badge +5
From a post a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatemike View Post
1) Grandma Mode (similiar to "One Touch On") The ability to configure a CR200 controller so the Home button is re-purposed to toggle a specific play list or Internet Radio Station On and Off in a specific zone. This way, no matter what state the controller or zone player were last left in, Grandma can turn on the radio using only the hard buttons and it will always work for her. Other family members can still override the default setup using the menus on the touch screen so there is no loss of functionality for everyone else... it just means Grandma can now use the system without always having to ask for help.
GRANDMA MODE ... YES!!!! AKA HUNGOVER AND CRAWLING INTO THE SHOWER MODE.

It should also allow setup for default volume and sleep timer. AKA DRUNK AND ABOUT TO PASS OUT MODE
Userlevel 2
I love my sonos !

Sonos controller on my computer or on iOS is great and always improving.

One feature would be really usefull : shortcuts.

For example : It would great if I could easily create one button (easily reachable) that would directly launch my favourite radio in the kitchen.
Or another that would launch this spotify playList in the living room at 60% of the volume.
Or "random music" from my library all over the house.

Even better : one of the shortcut could be activated directly on the player, without using the controller (for example, by pressing 3x the volume + button)....

I'm sure you, at Sonos, have a lot of ideas. But everything you can do to make it faster to launch music would be great !
Userlevel 1
Badge
+1 here!
Userlevel 2
Dongennl nailed exactly what I'm hoping Sonos develops. I have 24 zones in my house and audio level setting is a chore.

The analog in the lighting world would be Lutron's Homeworks QS or RadioRA system. Keypads typically have 1-4 scenes for how each light should behave. For example, our kitchen lighting Lutron keypad has "All on", "Cook", "Eat", "Relax" and "Night."

My sense is that Sonos has a ton of growth potential in the whole house automation market. Creating volume "scene buttons" will really help make Sonos attractive to system designers.

PS THANK YOU SONOS!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!

Hi,
Love my 4 zones, but what I'd really like to see added are 'house presets', a 'recipe' for a number of or all zones. A bit like alarms, but not necessarily timed, and for multiple zones.
They would be definable whole-house states, a bit like Lutron lets you pre-programme all your lights in various rooms to change on a single button, example:
- 'Home after work': 2 zones on an internet radio station that plays background lounge music, 1 zone in bathroom on a predefined playlist
- 'Sunday morning': another combination of playlists, radio stations and volumes for a number of or all zones.

Think this would also be a great feature for large installations in hotels, shops, spas, etc. that don't have time to setup/manage each zone separately.

Anyone else have similar needs?
best
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
+1
Yes please Sonos. I vote strongly to have 'house presets' or a similar 'macro' function added to a future Controller update - to let me switch more easily between my different uses of my Sonos system.

I listen to many voice/spoken podcasts as I walk and work between different rooms.

Or I listen with delight to my loud music through my main speakers as I work at one particular desk.

For the rest of the time I listen in only some of my rooms to quiet background streamed radio, which doesn't impede conversations or phone calls etc..

That's three very different sets of volume + speaker on/off settings, and equalisation settings too (for the podcasts), which are a real chore to tweak backwards and forwards each time I change my 'work mode'!

Please please ...

Colin P.
Have a look for Macronos on Google Play.

Obviously only useful if you have an Android device.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Have a look for Macronos on Google Play.
Thankyou wadgel! I hadn't seen this App, and I'll certainly be buying it.

(I hadn't been looking for Sonos-related Apps on Google Play ...)

I see from the reviews on Google Play that (for me) it's "not yet perfect ...", but hey ... what is?! And it's a near certainty that it'll grow and improve over time. Excellent thanks!

It should fit nicely into my use of my Nexus 7 as a semi-dedicated controller for Sonos.

Colin P.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
For example I could have a Preset Button named 'late night upstairs' and could get preset volume levels for every room as I always have that time. Another preset button could be 'disco' and then I would get quite high volume in every room.

And furthermore, the preset button would determine the source like Spotify or Line-In.

That would be a nice and cool feature, wouldn't it?
Userlevel 1
Yes but again you need to make these points at ask.Sonos.com, Sonos doesn't read these forums.
Badge
Yes. Currently far too many button presses to get something going right now through the controllers. Especially if you routinely go to one or two favorite playlists or stations most.
Userlevel 1
Yes. Currently far too many button presses to get something going right now through the controllers. Especially if you routinely go to one or two favorite playlists or stations most.

That's what the "Favorites" screen is for, add the most commonly used stations in there (dunno if it works for playlists, I don't use them).