Answered

Mac OSX Catalina has wrecked my SONOS music library link

• 9 October 2019
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 1
Just upgraded to Catalina, and SONOS is now useless.
Despite being able to see and link to the USB drive with my music library, SONOS insists there's nothing there. I'm guessing it's some sort of paranoid OSX security setting - but would appreciate any help from you guys......
icon

Best answer by David M Franks 9 October 2019, 17:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

David MF’s message was most helpful. The extra step I had to take after following David’s advice was to add the same path as appeared already to be in existence in Music Library Settings. This successfully overwrote the old (identical) path and repopulated the previously blank library. System now working. Getting used to this with Mac software upgrades :( Good luck everyone and thank you David.

Any mac IT admins searching this the web and need to set up a PPPC MDM profile.

Bundle Identifier

/Applications/Sonos.app/Contents/MacOS/SonosLibraryServer

Code Requirement

identifier SonosLibraryServer and anchor apple generic and certificate 1[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.2.6] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.13] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[subject.OU] = "2G4LW83Q3E"

Userlevel 7
Hi David M Franks

Are you saying that Catalina won't allow you to open Sonos? If so try the instructions in the YouTube video here.
Badge
Yes, that works if I copy files to the drive (the Mac internal drive) and then index them. This occurs only on the NAS.
See this earlier thread...

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/sonos-and-mac-os-10-15-catalina-6830760
Userlevel 1
AjTrek1: Sorry if I was unclear.
No, Sonos opens fine but shows there's nothing in the music library.

EDIT - I've just found a new setting in Preferences/Security called "Full Disk Access" & "Files and Folders". See below. Seems the default is to deny apps access until given permission. I changed mine, and it seems to have worked. Might be an idea to keep this in mind for other updaters!

I can't find an app on my Mac called SonosLibraryServer

Go to System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Privacy tab (on right) - scroll down to Full Disk Access, you should see a list of apps granted disk access. Enable the SonosLibraryServer and you should be sorted. You will probably need to re-link your music folder, though.

This a golden nugget of information. Under OS 10.15.5 and Sonos 11.1, never mind disappearing Apple playlists (which I can just about live without in Sonos), the entire music library disappears. Not only is it essential to grant Sonos Full Disk Access, but the existing path must be deleted in the Sonos app and then added again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There is a flurry of new security measures in Catalina that will trip up quite a few apps that will require confirmation of access rights in order to work. Expect lots of dialog boxes ...
Badge +1

Is this fixed now on current releases??  I’ve been holding off upgrading my Mac at home.

lets go SONOS, fix the USB drive issue!

What USB Drive issue?  That is resolved by reading the above posts!

seriously, don't you think I tried it?

tried again successfully!  Deleted the Controller and REBOOTED the computer seemed to help...

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Probably best to hold off upgrading to Catalina until Sonos has fixed the other issue, i.e. no access to playlists stored on the Mac. When you upgrade to Catalina on the Mac, the iTunes playlist xml fee will disappear as iTunes is removed and replaced with Music. From other threads I see Sonos are working o this but seem to have been caught out!

Not yet, apparently.

Badge +1

Well, I don't know--most of these posts are older.

Trust me, it has not yet been fixed. Ryan would, I’m sure, call that out in release notes/the announcement thread when it occurs. 

Badge

I have found what solved the CATALINA issue for me… It was my Eset Security. In its logs I found entries that there was “no rule found for Sonos app.” What I finally did was: Open ESET, Setup, Firewall, Network traffic filtering, Setup, and Add a new rule for Sonos to allow all network connections, Entire internet and All directions. I’m back up fine!

Badge
I am running Catalina now. Sonos was missing files and would not upgrade music so I deleted and re-added file server ... bad choice, it will not re-add the files.

I gave full access (as shown above) to Sonos.app.
However, I can't find an app on my Mac called SonosLibraryServer, and can't add it.

Thanks for your assistance.
Badge +1

Thanks, David M Franks! The “Full Disk Access” solution worked a treat. I did have to remove/add my library’s folders, but my music is back!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

seriously, don't you think I tried it?

Userlevel 2

This resolved my issue with the Music Library. Once I allowed “SonosLibraryServer” full access it indexed the music and it’s now available. Welcome back Sonos… I missed you. 

Now if we can just work out that 30% trade in on the ton of equipment I bought years ago… 

Badge

I have not been able to access any playlist on Sonos that I’ve created in iTunes since installing Catalina. Has anyone found a way to be able to do this?  As a DJ, I’m constantly creating new playlists that I’d like to play on Sonos, and I’m very frustrated that I don’t have direct access to this via my Music Library in Sonos.  Suggestions?  Thank you!

I have not been able to access any playlist on Sonos that I’ve created in iTunes since installing Catalina. Has anyone found a way to be able to do this?  As a DJ, I’m constantly creating new playlists that I’d like to play on Sonos, and I’m very frustrated that I don’t have direct access to this via my Music Library in Sonos.  Suggestions?  Thank you!

I found a workaround by using a tool “export for iTunes” - you can find more about it in this thread. Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

I can't find an app on my Mac called SonosLibraryServer

Go to System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Privacy tab (on right) - scroll down to Full Disk Access, you should see a list of apps granted disk access. Enable the SonosLibraryServer and you should be sorted. You will probably need to re-link your music folder, though.
Badge
Thanks, David, but as I mentioned there's nothing there (under System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Privacy tab) called the SonosLibraryServer and no file with that name on my Mac. And I have reinstalled the Sonos Mac app.