Answered

Mac> Music Library> Sleep > Sonos = don't play nicely.

When playing music on my Sonos from the library on my Mac's hard disk with nothing else happening, the Mac and monitor go to sleep at whatever time is specified in Energy Settings and the music stops playing.
Changing energy settings so "Put hard disks to sleep where possible" is unchecked doesn't work.
The Mac still goes to sleep when Sonos is playing if nothing else is happening on the computer, killing the connection.

Why doesn't the Mac register Sonos playing music from the hard disk as "being in use" thereby not sleeping and just letting the monitor sleep? It doesn't sound too complicated to me.

iTunes works as expected if playing music from the same library. The monitor goes to sleep at the specified time, but the music continues and the Mac doesn't go to sleep.
icon

Best answer by controlav 8 September 2018, 22:34

Other 3rd party apps behave as expected, e.g.: Traktor

Thats because THAT APP keeps the Mac awake. The Sonos controller doesn't play any music, the Sonos *players* read the mac file share to get the files then play them. If MacOS doesn't consider that a good reason to not go to sleep, so be it. Nothing Sonos can do about it.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, dlf75. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. You may want to reach out to Apple Support about this one. They should be able to point you in the right direction in regards to the hard disks not being available for network use while sleeping.
Thanks for your reply Keith, and I will raise this with Apple too, but I don't think network access when sleeping is the problem. The problem is that the Mac "goes to sleep" at all while Sonos is actively playing music from the hard disk. I'd expect OSX to register that Sonos is playing from the hard disk and therefore the computer shouldn't sleep until it stops playing.

In short.

Sonos playing music from library on Mac hard disk = Mac will go to sleep if left unattended for amount of time specified in System Preferences. Music stops.

iTunes playing music from library on Mac hard disk = Mac knows it's doing something and won't go to sleep until I stop the music.

It would appear that Sonos and iTunes are treated differently by OSX?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks for your reply Keith, and I will raise this with Apple too, but I don't think network access when sleeping is the problem. The problem is that the Mac "goes to sleep" at all while Sonos is actively playing music from the hard disk. I'd expect OSX to register that Sonos is playing from the hard disk and therefore the computer shouldn't sleep until it stops playing.

In short.

Sonos playing music from library on Mac hard disk = Mac will go to sleep if left unattended for amount of time specified in System Preferences. Music stops.

iTunes playing music from library on Mac hard disk = Mac knows it's doing something and won't go to sleep until I stop the music.

It would appear that Sonos and iTunes are treated differently by OSX?

I'm sure you can make a very good guess at to why iTunes and Sonos are treated differently to each other by OSX. Either way this isn't a Sonos issue. It's clearly an Apple issue.
Other 3rd party apps behave as expected, e.g.: Traktor can play music from the hard disk indefinitely without the computer going to sleep when left unattended. It's clearly an issue to do with how Sonos accesses the library.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Other 3rd party apps behave as expected, e.g.: Traktor can play music from the hard disk indefinitely without the computer going to sleep when left unattended. It's clearly an issue to do with how Sonos accesses the library.

The Sonos rep told you it's an Apple issue. It's your life but why flog a dead horse?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you want to avoid dealing with Apple you could always move your music to a more reliable source using a NAS device. A WD Live Drive type device works very well and is dead simple to set up. A bit more effort to set up but worth it in my opinion is a Raspberry Pi and a SSD disk drive.

I have used both and either works well but WD doesn't offer security updated for long enough to make me happy. My WD is sitting here unplugged and unused since they dropped support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Other 3rd party apps behave as expected, e.g.: Traktor

Thats because THAT APP keeps the Mac awake. The Sonos controller doesn't play any music, the Sonos *players* read the mac file share to get the files then play them. If MacOS doesn't consider that a good reason to not go to sleep, so be it. Nothing Sonos can do about it.
Thanks for the simple explanation Controlav, that makes sense.
Just going through the for forum and stumbled on this. Don’t know if this will help but I have a app on MacBook Pro called Amphetamine (free), it keeps your drive awake and can still put your display asleep while music is still playing from Sonos app. ?
There's pretty straightforward settings in the Energy area of the MacOS that does that, without any extra applications necessary.