Mac - iTunes Music Library - Cannot be added by SONOS after upgrade

• 20 October 2017
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Recently upgraded to:
MAC OS 10.13 High Sierra// followed by SONOS Controller 8.1
SONOS now unable to add my two iTunes music libraries that it has been accessing fine for the last several years. (These libraries are fairly large - 47 Gigs and 99 Gigs and are located on my iMac along with the SONOS controller program.)
Followed all steps on the various levels of the SONOS troubleshooting website - re-set firewall settings, revised music sharing settings and computer naming protocols and tried showing the path to the libraries in different manners.
Nothing prevents the receipt of error code 1002 and the message that SONOS could not add the library.

I just spent 20 minutes with the initial level SONOS support representative on the phone and he had no solution.

Any suggestions appreciated. I am a big user of SONOS and have ten Connect or Connect Amp devices in my house and it is frustrating to have this basis function suddenly not work.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

I'm sorry to hear of your problems but also relieved that someone else is having issues with accessing their iMac music library via Sonos. I've had my Sonos speakers for a few years now and never had a problem. Now after recent updates Sonos will not play all my stored music, only some that is on my computer. I have not done anything to the files, their names or the pathways or whatever the technical term is. Now when I try and add my Apple Music library Sonos gives me a message: Apple Music must be added to Sonos from an iOS device or Android phone. Then, listen....". The thing is I'm sitting at my iMac computer when I get this message. Isn't my iMac an iOS device? I also used to be able to play Spotify free through Sonos now I have to have a premium account. So my options for music have been drastically reduced. I look at my Sonos speakers at the moment and I think of little white elephants - pretty much useless if I can't play my music. If Sonos support reps can't help you GTSeattle, what hope do I have?
My guess is that there's some sharing/firewall settings that changed along the way, which is causing this issue. I didn't experience it when I moved to 10.13 on my Macbook Pro. Which doesn't help you that much, other than point out that it's not an issue between the Sonos app and the Mac OS. I'd recommend to you both that you submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at. There's liable to be particular information in the logs that accompany that which will help the techs figure out what you're facing.
I have the same issue but not on a Mac. Just running a common HP Windows laptop here. But my issue just as you mentioned. been running just fine for acouple of years then, Oh I have a problem.

My Diagnostic is: "Your confirmation number is: 7988911."

Looking forward to getting back to enjoying the system as it is meant to be enjoyed. We've spent a lot of money to have Upgrades stopiing us and costing me a lot of time trying to fix it...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Tess15 and Airgetiam: I was able to get through to a manager on the SONOS team yesterday who acknowledged that indeed there is a conflict between the SONOS software, most particularly the components that access the music libraries on Macs, and the upgraded Apple OS High Sierra (Version 10.13). The SONOS manager hinted that part of the problem was that Apple is now producing its own competing speaker system and is setting the protocols for that device which is causing problems with the SONOS system. The manager indicated they are working hard to find a temporary solution and also a permanent solution but are to a large extent dependent upon Apple settling on protocols that other manufacturers can utilize. So the bad new is that there is no fix at the moment and no timeline for when there will be a fix. The good news is that they are on top of the issue and working to resolve it ASAP. The problem should not affect music streaming services or radio (which is my situation).
GTSeattle,

Thanks for the update. I'll admit to being slightly confused by this news, as I've been using my iTunes library on OSX 10.13 and Sonos 8.1 since release of both of them. I wonder if the issue is occurring only on setup, and not affecting those who have already had their systems working? I also happen to have my iTunes library on an NAS, so that might be a factor, as well.

Frankly, I'm unsurprised at Apple's recalcitrance to help resolve the issue. It may not be a "policy" at Apple, but I'm sure there's some "well, let's not be actively helpful" attitude due to their own development. And, it actually may be more of a "the engineers are too busy working on our thing to take cycles out of their day to work on yours" kind of thing as well.

I happen to be a fan of Apple in most respects, and use their hardware, but I also recognize that they're the 900 pound gorilla, and what I perceive their history of the connected home and Siri, or Carplay to be evidence of their (perhaps unconscious) "do it our way, or you don't do it at all". Sometimes, that's convenient, and forces a better result, sometimes not. And also, I'm an outsider looking in, and just don't have all the facts to base a reasoned opinion on.

I do hope that Sonos can figure something out soon, and help resolve the issue you're dealing with. It really is a great system, once it's working properly. Hang in there!
I have not upgraded to 10.13. Still running 10.12.6 and I have the same issue. suddenly my music and iTunes catalogs can not be accessed.
ZWWLRD,

That's quite interesting. In my mind, that points things more firmly in the Apple direction. Perhaps they made some change that was has caused this issue? I'd bet good money that Sonos is pinging them hard, but as I indicated before, Apple may not have the cycles (or willingness) to respond. And I wonder if it's tied up with the same issue regarding people having problems accessing Apple Music.

I certainly hope it gets resolved soon.
I take that back. I completely misread your post. My apologies. So, maybe it's a Sonos issue after all. I'd be willing to bet Sonos is doing everything they can. Or perhaps Apple made some change on the back end? I'm totally in speculation land, here.
it happened on the same day I updated the Sonons App on my iPhone. I think it was the Sonos One update. I know I made no changes to my PC and have been using Sonos for a few years now. Hopefully they are "on it"....
Understood. I was able to upgrade to 8.1 without any issue, but as I've indicated, it was set up before, so it migrated over.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Tess15: Happy to help clear some things up. Your iMac does not run the iOS mobile Operating System. Instead, it (likely) runs a version of OS X / macOS. Note that your computer has a different "App Store" than an iPhone or iPad "App Store". In some cases, you may find that it is easier to give us a call and troubleshoot on the phone in real time. This way you can walk through the troubleshooting process together while a technician assists you through a remote session. Our contact information can be found here.

Nigel T: Thanks for sending us the diagnostic report. I was able to take a closer look and noticed that nearly all of the Sonos devices seem to be having a hard time receiving a signal from the main router. Would you be able to tell us a little more about your local network? What is the make and model of your router?

GTSeattle: I was able to pull up your ticket and replied to your email for next steps. Looking forward to your response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I have not upgraded to 10.13. Still running 10.12.6 and I have the same issue. suddenly my music and iTunes catalogs cannot be accessed. Just to clarify, are you unable to access your already added account or are you unable to add the local library in the first place? Mind sending us a diagnostic report to take a closer look? Please respond with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end.
Keith N

I am unable to access my existing music files which already exist on my local library.

Diagnostic Report # 7998716.

Thanks
Badge
Since the last Sonos Update and setting up the account I am unable to access my music library - same situation to others on here. I can access anything bought on Amazon Music and various radio stations but not my historic music collection. Overtime I try to add the music library it returns error 1002. I have not upgraded to High Sierra and am running 10.12.6. I have tried sending diagnostic information and it is telling me it is not possible to send at this time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Keith N

I am unable to access my existing music files which already exist on my local library.

Diagnostic Report # 7998716.

Thanks
Understood. The diagnostic report shows approximately 6000 songs on Sonos. What is the error message you are getting when trying to access the local music?

As previously stated, in most cases regarding music libraries I find the best experience to be when/if you are able to give us a call to troubleshoot this in real time. We can also set up a remote session where a technician can work with you to determine what is happening. Our contact information can be found here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Indecision:Thanks for reaching out. If your system is having a hard time submitting diagnostics, more often than not, this is due to a problem within the network and how data is getting to and from Sonos. From what you are explaining, it seems like you may have something keeping Sonos from being able to access your local music folder. This can be from a few different sources and for a few different reasons. Most people have firewalls that can block Sonos, even routers have some settings that can create some problems for Sonos. You may find that the easist way to get this resolved is by giving our phone team a call. They can be reached here.
Tess15: Happy to help clear some things up. Your iMac does not run the iOS mobile Operating System. Instead, it (likely) runs a version of OS X / macOS. Note that your computer has a different "App Store" than an iPhone or iPad "App Store". In some cases, you may find that it is easier to give us a call and troubleshoot on the phone in real time. This way you can walk through the troubleshooting process together while a technician assists you through a remote session. Our contact information can be found here.

Nigel T: Thanks for sending us the diagnostic report. I was able to take a closer look and noticed that nearly all of the Sonos devices seem to be having a hard time receiving a signal from the main router. Would you be able to tell us a little more about your local network? What is the make and model of your router?

Nigel response - Hi - This doesn't make sense because the same issue happens when I have linked to the Router by cable. Its a SKY Router. Cant see a model number on it.

GTSeattle: I was able to pull up your ticket and replied to your email for next steps. Looking forward to your response.
Badge
Thanks for posting this. Note my post is similar. I have been having problems, but I can get it to work. "Update Music Library Now" does not work at all. When I add new music to iTunes, I need to delete my music library, and add it again from scratch, which usually takes at least 3 or 4 attempts before it works. That is, the Sonos controller will indicate it's "Adding Music Library" and spin away creating the meta-data. When it's done, there will be no error message or status message, but my music library will not be present. I need to do it again, and again, and again. Fourth or fifth time usually gets it.
jimmauro,

I would think that's indicative of some sort of issue in your system, and perhaps something within the wifi space causing a time out to occur during the process. May I urge you to submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at? I would do it within 10 minutes of running an "update music library" failure, so that any errors would be in the logs files that are submitted. Perhaps they can figure out what the specific issue is, and make life a tad easier for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, jimmauro. Thanks for reaching out, glad to be of help. Airgetlam is spot-on regarding the helpfulness of submitting a diagnostic report. Be sure to reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end.

Additionally, you may find even better support on the phone where a technician will be able to visually walk through the process with you through a remote session. Our contact information can be found here.
I too recently upgraded to MacOS 10.13.1 High Sierra (and Sonos 8.1.1) and am having the same issue - Error 1002. Any updates regarding the Sonos-Apple interoperabilty issue?
I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Sonos reps (1st and 2nd line of support) yesterday, to no avail. As a test, I also tried to add a different Music Library on an external drive: that didn't work, either. Who has other things I could try?
Exactly the same issue here. Any help will be appreciated..
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, LivePaola. Thanks for reaching out to our technicians on the phone. I was able to pull up the ticket history for your account and I would advise continuing working with them as they are still awaiting you to call back since we could not complete troubleshooting.

cesarmejias: Hello there. In most cases where customers are having problems bringing their music library to Sonos, they normally find the best success with calling our technicians on the phone. The reason behind this is because we can set up a remote session that allows the technician to see what's on your computer screen. During this session, the technician and walk through most of the common problems with Music library shares and ensure it works before the call is over. Our contact information can be found here. We look forward to hearing from you.
Badge
Hi,
I'm having the same issue. I just submitted support diagnostic – my confirmation number is 8110061. Can you help?
Thanks a lot