Lossless audio formats and Dolby Atmos in S2 Apple Music

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Contributor II
  • 9 replies

Hi,
Does the S2 application will support Dolby Atmos and lossless audio format I use Apple Music in this application. At the moment it is possible only by AirPlay 2. I'd like to start the S2 application to choose Apple Music and listen to lossless audio formats :)

Greetings
Raf

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rafi 

Thanks for your post.

We don’t have anything to share on this as of yet. I’m sure that if we do bring support for it, however, you’ll hear about it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

thank you for your answer. I am waiting impatiently for some good news :relaxed:

Regards

Rafi

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rafi

I recommend you read this article:

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ok, thanks I will read

The article is very interesting describes all aspects of the Sonos application. Ok, but I use Apple Music and I would like to be able to play in a lossless format and Dolby Atmos directly from the S2 application. I hope that this will be introduced quickly. As you know, AirPlay 2 does not support the lossless audio formats because it is Bluetooth :relaxed:

I have been using Sonos products for over 7 years and currently have ARC + Sub + 2xONE SL, Beam bedroom, ONE SL kitchen, ONE SL bathroom. The Sonos system is fantastic and I look forward to a quick update to support it a lossless format and Dolby Atmos directly from the S2 application. 

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rafi 

I asked you to read it because it tells you if you want specific content, ask the source, ie. Apple, as they are the ones who decide such things. :relaxed:

We have no control over what is available from each service - neither content nor playback quality.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I know :) By the way, I will write to Apple, but I hope that you work on this topic :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Rafi 

Ah ok, I wasn’t sure if you'd noticed that bit.

I can assure you that if Apple do want their customers to be able to listen to Apple Music lossless formats on Sonos, they will approach us about it and we will work with them to bring Apple lossless to Sonos. Until they do, however, there’s literally nothing we can do towards it, beyond what we have already done (which was to add support for the format to our products, which was done a long time ago).

As for Atmos music playback, this is less likely as there’s only any point in doing this on the Arc. We don’t restrict/unrestrict what you can play according to which model of speaker is selected, and this is unlikely to change. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you very much for a nice conversation. Apple Take to work 🤨 
Have a nice weekend 😊

As you know, AirPlay 2 does not support the lossless audio formats because it is Bluetooth :relaxed:

Wrong and wrong, I’m afraid. Airplay is a local network protocol, which sends audio losslessly (ALAC) over UDP. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPlay#Protocols

Nothing to do with Bluetooth at all. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes, I'm sorry I have expressed myself. It's not Bluetooth you're right.

I meant that AirPlay 2 does not support the lossless sound format 

Yes, I'm sorry I have expressed myself. It's not Bluetooth you're right.

I meant that AirPlay 2 does not support the lossless sound format 

Yes it does. It transcodes to ALAC, as noted in the linked wiki page.