Looking for a flac partner

Userlevel 2
Badge
My flac library is expanding and expanding, soon it will be out of control. Right now i have album folders in a folder called Flac wich is added to the Sonos music library.
Since adding flac files to iTunes is quite painful I'm looking for a music server with nice looks, for the Mac, reading flac and recognizeable by the Sonos system.
Any suggestions?

Mats
Gothenburg
Sweden

2 replies

Matsh,

While there is a lot of noise in the thread, this post will point you in the right direction.
Badge

Since adding flac files to iTunes is quite painful I'm looking for a music server with nice looks, for the Mac, reading flac and recognizeable by the Sonos system.
Any suggestions?

I'm not sure exactly why you need a server. Your Sonos system simply needs a shared folder that contains all your FLAC files. Perhaps you need a library management tool and some playback software, or something to manage Tags.

The link provided by Buzz above leads to an older post of mine with a bunch of tools (mostly on the mac) that will help you work with FLAC files.

Here are some additional tools that might be useful to you:
1) Songbird: A free open source cross platform iTunes replacement based on Mozilla Firefox. Excellent.
2) For ripping, burning and transcoding formats: Theres a couple of options here. Max is probably the most versatile and simplest to use. XLD is becoming more and more popular amongst the audiophile set because it is the most similar to EAC in terms of secure ripping and AccurateRip support, while xACT has been around for a while nor. Then there's the slightly pricey Roxio Toast Titanium which has allowed ripping to FLAC, direct burning of FLAC to CD & DVD, and transcoding to other formats since version 7.
3) SqueezeCenter (formerly SlimServer): Even though it is designed to serve SlimDevices/Logitech's digital audio players, this free open source software is very versatile, and can be used independently of their hardware. It will happily coexist with your Sonos Digital Music system. Like Firefly (which I have mentioned in the other post) - it is capable of transcoding files, but with far more options. One really nice feature is the ability to convert lossless audio to lossy audio on the fly for remote streaming. So basically you can listen to your tunes from anywhere you have access to the net. You can either create a standard mp3 stream which can be played back on any software such as winamp, iTunes, etc, etc, and control it via the web, or you can use the new free SqueezePlay app or the older SoftSqueeze App.
4) For playback and tagging: Play and Cog are two highly competent and light playback tools. If I wish to play a FLAC file on my mac, these are my first go to options. Play also has some pretty nifty tagging features; in addition to manual tagging, it allows MusicBrainz tagging using MusicIP fingerprining, and also addition of ReplayGain tags. For more advanced tagging options, you can also use Tag.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings