Answered

Local files and Spotify playlists

• 24 April 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi there, I am totally confused and hoping that there is an answer to my problem. We have started using Spotify, but if I create playlists with songs that aren't available on Spotify, and try to play them on our Sonos speakers from my iPad, all of the local files are greyed out. This is even true of songs that I know are not DRM protected (for example, tracks on CDs recorded by friends' bands). If I put headphones into my iPad, I can play the local files, but I cannot play them through Sonos.

Is there any workaround at all? It drives me crazy, particularly with albums where I own the full CD, but for some reason, certain tracks aren't available on Spotify, and therefore I can't play the full CDs on Sonos.

I get the impression that Spotify blame Sonos, and I expect here people will say it's Spotify's fault -- I just want to know if there is any way at all that I can create playlists that include music I rightfully and legally own, but which isn't available on Spotify.

Thanks so much in advance
icon

Best answer by Smilja 24 April 2018, 19:48

[...] I get the impression that Spotify blame Sonos, and I expect here people will say it's Spotify's fault -- I just want to know if there is any way at all that I can create playlists that include music I rightfully and legally own, but which isn't available on Spotify.
It is Spotify's fault – well, kind of. Playing your music collection through Spotify on Sonos would require the files being uploaded to Spotify's server first, a service Spotify doesn't offer/support. If I were you I would give Google Music or Apple Music a try.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I'm not a Spotify user, but I'm wondering if you're running in to the issue that has to do with where the music is actually stored. Sonos considers music stored on a tablet or phone to be "volatile", and can leave the wifi at any particular moment, so they don't allow music in playlists to be from that kind of storage. However, if your music is stored on a PC, or NAS, it's considered "permanent" to your wifi, and can be included.

I suspect that this music that you own is being stored in a place that Sonos doesn't consider to be "valid", so it's greying out those items in your Spotify Playlist.

This is just a guess, though.
[...] I get the impression that Spotify blame Sonos, and I expect here people will say it's Spotify's fault -- I just want to know if there is any way at all that I can create playlists that include music I rightfully and legally own, but which isn't available on Spotify.
It is Spotify's fault – well, kind of. Playing your music collection through Spotify on Sonos would require the files being uploaded to Spotify's server first, a service Spotify doesn't offer/support. If I were you I would give Google Music or Apple Music a try.
Thanks so much for the reply -- I got a bit excited that it might be possible to play from my desktop... but unfortunately, using Spotify on the desktop (the machine where the actual original files are), I still can't play through Sonos. No problem for Spotify to play those files using the speakers built into my computer, but if I try to connect to my Sonos speakers, it gives an error (it says "Can't play this right now" and greys out the Sonos speakers).

But thank you very much for trying to help. I'm pretty gutted about this. It's surprising just how much mainstream music is not available on Spotify and I can't figure out how to play any of that music on Sonos.
[...] But thank you very much for trying to help. I'm pretty gutted about this. It's surprising just how much mainstream music is not available on Spotify and I can't figure out how to play any of that music on Sonos.
It's not possible. Nevertheless, you can upload your music collection either to Google Music (I think for free) or to Apple's iCloud Music Library as a part of the Apple Music subscription. I'm using both services for exactly that reason.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yeah, Google allows uploading 50,000 songs to their Play Music service for free. The streaming service is $9.99/mo and also includes Youtube Red, for commercial-free Youtube watching, and access to their Youtube Red Original content.
Yeah, Google allows uploading 50,000 songs to their Play Music service for free. The streaming service is $9.99/mo and also includes Youtube Red, for commercial-free Youtube watching, and access to their Youtube Red Original content.
Not in Europe. YouTube Red isn't available in Europe yet.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
This is the reason I will never use Spotify - it's horrible support for 'local files' - Apple Music or Google Play is much better with this - upload your files and they are treated like any other song.