Question

Listening to Radio 4 I have had an interruption saying "Due to rights restrictions this content is........ Does anyone know why this is?

Listening to Radio 4 I have had a continuous interruption saying "Due to rights restrictions this content is........ Does anyone know why?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

this has happened to me too - first time it has happened.  Other BBC channels seem to be ok.
Happened to me also Satellite reception fine Its a play for goodness sake what's going on
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The BBC Radio streams provided by TuneIn are international feeds. As a result, some content - mainly sports and other live events - is not available outside of the UK, resulting in the message you heard. I would recommend following this topic for more information and updates on new BBC Radio streams.

The applicable quote from that topic regarding this issue is:
Some sports and other live events are only available within the UK due to streaming rights, and the MP3 streams presented to Sonos only include international versions which blank out this content.  Note: the BBC has informed us they intend to address this issue separately and do not yet have an available time frame.  
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
This happened to me this morning, during the Today programme. Which is a live, studion based news broadcast consisting of news reporting and interviews.

I really can't believe that there was a rights issue with content during that programme.
Well, the BBC clearly think so, it they who are putting the message into the stream.
It seems that if the BBC Today program chooses to play 25 seconds of a Tom Lehrer song to illustrate an article about chemistry, ten minutes of the program is replaced with "Due to Rights Restrictions, This Part of the Program is Unavailable" on a tight loop - something that makes Sonos pretty much useless for listening to the BBC if you value your sanity.

However. Sonos has today (30th October 2015) announced improved BBC streaming services using something called HLS, allegedly "resolving regional content restrictions". Sonos Tech Support are not being very specific about what this means - wouldn't it be good if Sonos users in the UK finally had full access to the BBC's UK content?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
All info is here.. https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/support-for-bbc-radio-hls-streams-6597265

since your new short story. BBC at end of last year moved to a new streaming format called HLS. HLS streaming is fairly new and not a complete standard. Most online streamers had no way to play HLS natively. Sonos had to re-write their code for audio streaming to include this HLS ability (some companies would not do this - like Denon).

This ability came out in beta recently. If you update your system to beta 6.0 your streams will move over to the new HLS format and you will get higher quality and regional content (if in UK). To get the beta you have to sign up on in your Sonos account and download the android or desktop software to install the beta (no ios install). Or if you don't want to fool with beta we expect this to go full release by Nov. 20 latest.
Sign up to the Public Beta and you will have access to the HLS streams which are UK specific if you are in the UK. However if you rely on IOS for your Sonos Controller that is not included in the Public Beta. Otherwise be patient for another week or so when the release including BBC HLS access is due for release.
How do you know when this beta is due for release? Have I missed something
Well Sonos issued an email today indicating the HLS release was coming in November. I also read something, though of course I can't find it, indicating Trueplay would be on release in the next couple of weeks, which sort of follows since the new Play 5 is apparently available at the end of November and failing any last minute issues they would want it in place for that. However the publicity I read indicated that Trueplay would apply to the existing Play 5 and Play 1 & 3.
So I'm guessing the HLS release and Trueplay release would be packaged together.
Oh ok, yes I'd expect Trueplay to be released the same time as the play:5, which is November, err, 22nd, I think, or 25th. Either way, it was the "another week or so" which threw me, as either date is three weeks away yet. No worries.

Now, where was my damn email?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Oh ok, yes I'd expect Trueplay to be released the same time as the play:5, which is November, err, 22nd, I think, or 25th. Either way, it was the "another week or so" which threw me, as either date is three weeks away yet. No worries.

The 20th in the US, 25th in the UK, if I remember correctly. I'm sure the update with HLS and Trueplay will be out by the 20th... probably earlier that week.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
According to what Sonos told me - untested

If you install the desktop version of beta (updating the hardware at that time). .... even if your using the current release version of the ios application, BBC HLS streams will work. The hardware update I was told is the key to getting HLS ability as TuneIn coordinates with the speaker (not the controller) to determine if it can play the HLS feed.

So if you are an ios user you should still be able to get the HLS added via beta by just installing and updating hardware via the available desktop beta application.

Or ... just wait a bit for the full release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We've been updating all the active threads on the BBC because we want everyone to know that Sonos version 6.0, containing HLS support, is now fully available for all systems. You can update your devices from a controller under Settings > Online Updates, or by clicking Update Now from the music menu. Once you’ve updated to 6.0 on your system, all of your players will automatically be receiving the HLS streams for BBC stations when you go to play from them.

Please note that this update contains support for the HLS live streams, but not recorded or “listen again” content. We’re working to get those recorded BBC shows playing on Sonos as well, and are looking to a 2016 release date. We’ll let you know when we have more details to share on that release in the future.

For full details on Sonos version 6.0 please see here: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-60-available-trueplay-tuning-and-more-6732708
A year later and i m on version 7.0
Yet it happened this morning during the BBC "Today" program
Has the latest version regressed on this matter??
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hppened this morning during the BBC "Today" program
Has the latest version regressed on this matter??

My experience too at approximately 07:45 GMT this morning on BBC Radio 4.

Living in the UK, with a UK IP address. Sonos firmware up to date.

It really is time that Sonos, TruePlay & the BBC resolved this issue once & for all.