List playlists alphabetically

• 25 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Feature Request: Display the list of playlists in music services’ Libraries alphabetically.

There currently is no way to change the display order of music playlists (for Spotify and Youtube Music, at least). 

That’s pretty terrible - the SMAPI spec does not require any particular ordering from the service, nor does it allow the app to specify an order, so it’s basically luck of the draw. I expect some services to return data alphabetically, others by most recently or frequently played, yet others completely unsorted (“hash order”, as it were).

For search results, I expect Sonos to respect the returned order, assuming that the service will be attempting to return the best match first. For a generic getMetadata response, the expectation is clearly invalid, and, consistency between services aside, it’s a terrible browsing experience.

The SMAPI spec doesn’t support additional data such as recency or play count, so sorting by those in the app isn’t an option. Fine. But “alphabetically by title” seems trivial to support.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos have never sorted anything, ever, in the controller app. Originally this was due to the tiny amounts of memory on the controller, combined with the potentially huge size of returned lists. This logic is less relevant now that the low-memory controllers are unsupported.

Your reading of the SMAPI spec is totally accurate, item ordering is indeed totally determined by each service. If the services wanted to they could add a “sorted by” item at the top of their lists which would then return variously-sorted versions of the same list. Sadly I am not aware of any service that does this.

Great that you’ve increased the number of YouTube playlists to 999 from 99; however, I find only around 300; where are the rest? 

You have also duplicated lists, and they cannot be put in alphabetical order. I’m assuming you will fix this, you just haven’t had enough time to do so???? 

Please allow placement in alphabetical order so that we can find our playlists.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great that you’ve increased the number of YouTube playlists to 999 from 99; however, I find only around 300; where are the rest? 

You have also duplicated lists, and they cannot be put in alphabetical order. I’m assuming you will fix this, you just haven’t had enough time to do so???? 

Please allow placement in alphabetical order so that we can find our playlists.

Thanks

It appears that you are addressing this to Google, who to my knowledge have never read a single post on this forum, and certainly never acted upon one. Suggest you try contacting them directly with this request.

But they are alphabetized in YouTube. That would mean that YouTube , not Sonos, is responsible for the migration. If that's the case, it won't be corrected because, you're right, Google doesn't ever respond to queries.