Answered

Linking my iTunes library on my iMac to Sonos

• 29 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Excuse the possibly silly question, but I am new to Sonos. I have a Playbase and 2 of the new Sonos Ones with Alexa, and I am loving it. I have 64k songs in my iTunes library and I have just discovered that I can link my iMac to Sonos. After quite a while, however, I was informed on my iMac and iPhone that there was insufficient space to complete the operation. So, my question is: where is there insufficient space? That is to say, where is it trying to store anything? I assumed that the iTunes library would somehow link to Sonos, but not copy any data/songs, just links. Can someone please help me to understand what's happening? If the library is too large, is there a way of selecting songs/albums/playlists?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 November 2017, 18:57

"Where" is on the speakers. Each speaker is essentially a small computer, with a limited amount of memory. Sonos says that 65K tracks is the upper limit, but that's also affected by additional data tags in each file, so your milage may vary. But you're right, Sonos only keeps track of a list of pointers, not the actual songs themselves.

What I'd recommend in your case is to create Playlists on your Mac, in iTunes, and then import the playlists.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

"Where" is on the speakers. Each speaker is essentially a small computer, with a limited amount of memory. Sonos says that 65K tracks is the upper limit, but that's also affected by additional data tags in each file, so your milage may vary. But you're right, Sonos only keeps track of a list of pointers, not the actual songs themselves.

What I'd recommend in your case is to create Playlists on your Mac, in iTunes, and then import the playlists.
As Bruce says... your 64k tracks probably exceeds the amount of space available to index in Sonos. Unfortunately you have already taken the plunge with Sonos othwise Bluesound might have been a better bet as they have tested to 250k tracks.

The Sonos limit might be a combination of legacy support, memory and the fact that the majority of customers now use a streaming service with no local music.
Thank you both, I now understand (a bit more about) how it works, and what to do. I have linked to Spotify (on a 3 month trial) and will also trial Apple Music; and I am set up for radio, so all good and it's rarely off! Cheers!
2 follow up questions: 1) is there a way of deleting individual tracks/albums from the imported library within the Sonos app? 2) I cannot find Playlists to import them rather than the albums/artists/songs
Not able to delete any via Sonos, deliberately as Sonos is only reading your files otherwise there would be a million complaints that Sonos deleted my music.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/154/~/importing-playlists-from-other-apps-like-itunes