Answered

Library won't scan

• 10 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve got a library with about 35k FLAC tracks (stereo 44.1/16 bit) and when pointing Sonos at the library, it appears to do all the right stuff, including asking me to enter my credentials since this library in my Mac, but not in the generic music folder.

But it never indexes a single song.  And it doesn’t throw any errors.  Drive is connected directly to the Mac in question.  

(System is all S2; checked for updates to controller and players, and there are none available.)

What else can I check?

icon

Best answer by wottynatty 15 September 2022, 18:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Well it could be a number of things, but maybe (if using) check the netbios name of the MAC is no more than 15 characters in length and does not contain any special/unusual characters or spaces, and perhaps check the share file system as mentioned here… https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4876

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @wottynatty 

Thanks for your post!

Drive is connected directly to the Mac in question.

This makes me think that you have your music stored on a USB drive connected to the computer.

If this is the case, please follow the steps from our No tracks from Mac USB drive in Sonos music library help page that I’ve pasted here:

1. Open System Preferences on your Mac.
  2. Click on Security > Privacy.
  3. Under the Privacy tab, click on Full Disk Access.
  4. Check the box next to Sonos Library Server.
  5. Open the Sonos app.
  6. Update your music library by going to Manage > Update Music Library Now.

Navigate back to Music Library menu under the Select a Music Source section, and you will now be able to browse your library.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well it could be a number of things, but maybe (if using) check the netbios name of the MAC is no more than 15 characters in length and does not contain any special/unusual characters or spaces, and perhaps check the share file system as mentioned here… https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4876

Maybe it is the format of the drive.  It is APFS which isn’t listed on the Sonos page you list.  However, HFS+ is listed there and according to Apple that doesn’t exist any longer:

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/file-system-formats-dsku19ed921c/21.0/mac/12.0

and I don’t get the specific error that the Sonos support article mentions…. 

The name of the Mac is ten alphabetical characters with no spaces, no numbers and no special characters.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @wottynatty 

Thanks for your post!

Drive is connected directly to the Mac in question.

This makes me think that you have your music stored on a USB drive connected to the computer.

If this is the case, please follow the steps from our No tracks from Mac USB drive in Sonos music library help page that I’ve pasted here:

1. Open System Preferences on your Mac.
  2. Click on Security > Privacy.
  3. Under the Privacy tab, click on Full Disk Access.
  4. Check the box next to Sonos Library Server.
  5. Open the Sonos app.
  6. Update your music library by going to Manage > Update Music Library Now.

Navigate back to Music Library menu under the Select a Music Source section, and you will now be able to browse your library.

I hope this helps.

This appears to be the issue / solution.  Thanks!

I see there is a Sonos Library Server and a Sonos App entry in the privacy settings area of the Mac.  

Should I give both access for the best stability?  I prefer to restrict access except when necessary.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve got a library with about 35k FLAC tracks (stereo 44.1/16 bit) and when pointing Sonos at the library, it appears to do all the right stuff, including asking me to enter my credentials since this library in my Mac, but not in the generic music folder.

But it never indexes a single song.  And it doesn’t throw any errors.  Drive is connected directly to the Mac in question.  

(System is all S2; checked for updates to controller and players, and there are none available.)

What else can I check?

FYI for those finding this.  I marked the WRONG answer (for my situation) as the solution.  But I guess as long as one reads the thread, no harm done and it MIGHT have been the solution for me, and could be the solution for future readers…..

Thanks for that. In all honesty, I don’t know anyone (except sometimes the moderators?) who pays any attention whatsoever to the “answered” part of the indicator, except perhaps more as a “hey, I should read this, they got an answer to the problem I’m having!”

I wouldn’t worry too much on that, were I you :)

And when a moderator has time to read this, they’ll likely just unmark the incorrect answer, and mark the correct answer for you, I’d expect. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @wottynatty 

I see there is a Sonos Library Server and a Sonos App entry in the privacy settings area of the Mac.  

Should I give both access for the best stability?  I prefer to restrict access except when necessary.

Only the Sonos Library Service needs access to the drive, not the app. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @wottynatty 

Only the Sonos Library Service needs access to the drive, not the app. 

Great to know.  Thanks for elucidating.  Much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @wottynatty 

You are very welcome!

Thanks for coming back to the thread after you solved the problem!