Answered

Library : local directory not indexed

• 1 March 2020
  • 3 replies

There are 2 entries in “Music Library Settings”

• /Users/me/myDirWithMP3s/ : a directory on my mac
  • //XAirport/myDisk/myDirWithM3Us/ : a USB disk on a router.

The second works perfectly.

For a few months now (update to OSX Catalina ??), the first, i.e. the files on my laptop, became invisible in the Sonos App. I tried to remove and re-add the entry in the library settings of course, without success. I do not get any error message (“not available”) when I force the indexing of music, it just appears to be skipped.

NB: Not sure if it’s an issue, but when I go to “folders” in my music library, the second appears with the same syntax as above, but the first is referred to as //myComputer/myDirWithMP3s

icon

Best answer by Otherapie 1 March 2020, 18:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

This solved the problem for me as well, allowing “full disk access” to the “Sonos Library Server” in Catalina’s Security and Privacy settings as outlined in the article: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4808?language=en_US

I did have to dig a bit to find this solution so I’m just adding this comment with some keywords to help others find the solution.

Situation: after upgrading MacOS to Catalina, the Sonos desktop app was no longer able to see the external hard drive containing my music files. It was working immediately prior to the upgrade, so I’m sure that was the cause of the issue.

Entering in the path to the folder would generate an error 1002 when attempting to complete, both on the mobile app and desktop. As other users mentioned, the entered folder location of “/Volumes/Drive/Music” appears as “//Mac/Music” in the app, which I thought was the issue but wasn’t.

I suspected that it was a security setting preventing the process from completing and specifically looked in the System Preferences “Security & Privacy” section, even adding the Sonos app to the list of “Full Disk Access” apps. The key here was that I didn’t notice the “Sonos Library Server” app there, it doesn’t have the Sonos app icon! Anyway that wrapped it up. Hope this helps!

Thanks! It turns out that apps on Mac are nowadays forced to ask disk-access permission. Sonos app never did as far as I’m concerned… It turns out that was the problem: although the music is a normal directory (i.e. not on a USB drive), I tried this, which solved the issue:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4808?language=en_US

The problem is that I had to grant access to my full disk whereas there is no reason for Sonos app to access more than those directories I configure for it… How should I communicate with Sonos about this ? Also via a ticket to Sonos support ? NB: I can’t imagine why there are not already zillions of tickets about this & a software update to solve it...

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Force a reindex, submit a diagnostic and provide the id number to Sonos support, they can see details we users can’t see.