Last.fm - Scrobbling has stopped

• 29 April 2021
  • 7 replies

The last.fm scrobbling has stopped functioning via Sonos, the last recorded instance was 18 April.  I have tried the last.fm support site but they say there is no issue from their end.  It has often stopped and restarted since round November 2020 but usually it has been no longer than 3 or 4 days.

I listen to Spotify, Bandcamp, Mixcloud, files on my NAS, and several other streaming services and none of them are registering.  Just wondered if there was a known issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Well, customer care were unable to offer any solution other than remove and re-add the last.fm service.

So i had to resort to the nuclear option of resetting the entire system and starting from scratch, which I will say was a major b*llache and took almost 90 minutes because, whilst it found items easily enough it refused to add them to.  If i had had a hammer close to hand I wouldn’t now have a Sonos system to worry about

No firewall or custom DNS and I can scrobble outside of Sonos, via the last.fm app using spotify, bandcamp, etc, or using the last.fm spotify integration

Thanks for that. I’ve checked with our engineers, and we have no current known issues with Last.fm right now, so I’d recommend getting in touch with our customer care team who will be able to take a closer look at what’s happening with your system.

As a last suggestion, and I’ve only just noticed this myself, there’s a scrobbling option underneath the Replace Account option I mentioned earlier. Does tapping that and hitting Yes make any difference for you?

Thanks, I’ll try the customer care team. I’d previously tried the scrobbling on and off options but you can guess the outcome :)

Badge +17

No firewall or custom DNS and I can scrobble outside of Sonos, via the last.fm app using spotify, bandcamp, etc, or using the last.fm spotify integration

Thanks for that. I’ve checked with our engineers, and we have no current known issues with Last.fm right now, so I’d recommend getting in touch with our customer care team who will be able to take a closer look at what’s happening with your system.

As a last suggestion, and I’ve only just noticed this myself, there’s a scrobbling option underneath the Replace Account option I mentioned earlier. Does tapping that and hitting Yes make any difference for you?

Badge +17

Hi @Mr Omneo,

I, too, am a Last.fm user and haven’t noticed any change in the frequency of the scrobbles on my system. Have you tried re-authorising your Last.fm account on Sonos? To do this:

• Tap on   Settings →   Services & Voice →   Last.fm →  Replace Account and sign in with your Last.fm credentials.
  • Test playback over the next hour or two to see if your tracks are scrobbled correctly.

Yes, I’ve re-authorized, removed it from Sonos and last.fm, left it a day, added it back, no effect.  I even followed a suggestion from last.fm to disconnect and reboot all Sonos devices, no effect.

it is very frustrating as last.fm have near zero technical support and keep suggesting I re-authorize Spotify despite me telling them it isn’t Spotify I am having an issue with

Yeah, I wouldn’t be going the Spotify route either. Do you happen to be running any sort of network firewall or custom DNS service such as Pi-Hole? It could be that the communications to the last.fm service are being blocked.

As a side note, do tracks played outside of Sonos (i.e. through the Spotify app on your phone through headphones) show up in Last.fm?

Hi @Mr Omneo,

I, too, am a Last.fm user and haven’t noticed any change in the frequency of the scrobbles on my system. Have you tried re-authorising your Last.fm account on Sonos? To do this:

• Tap on   Settings →   Services & Voice →   Last.fm →  Replace Account and sign in with your Last.fm credentials.
  • Test playback over the next hour or two to see if your tracks are scrobbled correctly.

Yes, I’ve re-authorized, removed it from Sonos and last.fm, left it a day, added it back, no effect.  I even followed a suggestion from last.fm to disconnect and reboot all Sonos devices, no effect.

it is very frustrating as last.fm have near zero technical support and keep suggesting I re-authorize Spotify despite me telling them it isn’t Spotify I am having an issue with.

*edit*

I should point out that I can scrobble from Spotify with no issue, so scrobbling is working, just not via Sonos

Badge +17

Hi @Mr Omneo,