Answered

Lack of Apple Music Lossless Support - Sonos or Apple?

• 15 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Is the lack of Apple Music lossless support a Sonos Issue (haven’t got to it yet) or an Apple issue (not allowing other providers to access the lossless streams)?

I actually think Airplay does sound better, but that is not why I bought Sonos speakers.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by jgatie 15 April 2022, 18:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It’s the streaming company who controls what is made available to Sonos customers, so in this case, Apple is responsible for the lack of access. 

Music services are wholly responsible for their own implementation on the Sonos app.  Sonos supplies the API, the service does the work.  So since the API already supports lossless streaming from other services, it is Apple who needs to step up.

If you believe - as I do - what the head of Apple Music says, that Apple lossless cannot be distinguished from Apple lossy in a test where sound levels are accurately matched, this would be a non issue to you.

Badge

You can actually hear a difference, especially if you are using a good set of speakers with the Sonos AMP. 
I recently tried Amazon music ultimate (or whatever they call it) to test the difference. I just don’t want to move my whole family from Apple Music. 

There will be an audible difference because at the same volume control slider setting Apple Lossless is reported to yield slightly higher sound levels than Apple lossy. And slightly higher is all it takes for a difference to be heard, something that has long been taught to stereo system salesmen.