Karaoke on Sonos

• 4 November 2013
  • 46 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
We received some feedback from a Sonos user who would like to see Karaoke integration with Sonos. While Line-In can work for hooking up an existing Karaoke player, the user would like to see a more embedded Karaoke function on Sonos.

What are your thoughts?

46 replies

Since apparently I can't "like" Stuart_W's post, I'll indicate my agreement with him by posting this. Sonos just isn't made for Karaoke (or computer speakers). Find some other system, there's lots out there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As long as the input LEVEL is Line-in there is no danger to the speakers. What WILL be an issue for this use case is that the audio is delayed by around 70ms. So this means it will be pretty useless for Karaoke
I think I can use line-in or Sonos connect for karaoke. My question is that whether that will break the speakers because I read stereo speakers are not suitable for karaoke.
Why don’t you have an agreement with Smule
I would love to see a kareoke on sonos very soon, I am about to buy a kareoke machine, but I would rather wait for sonos, please don't take too long!
We received some feedback from a Sonos user who would like to see Karaoke integration with Sonos. While Line-In can work for hooking up an existing Karaoke player, the user would like to see a more embedded Karaoke function on Sonos.

What are your thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is a must there is not much else Sonos can offer than you currently do this would open up a new product stream to you. and I would defiantly purchase it

I can't see it myself. This market, compared to the primary one, is vanishingly small. If karaoke is so important to you then there are bespoke solutions for that.
This is a must there is not much else Sonos can offer than you currently do this would open up a new product stream to you. and I would defiantly purchase it
I'm surprised that this thread was started 2 years ago and that Sonos hasn't gotten anything out there yet. Seems like a no-brainer money maker for them. Great company otherwise.
I'm building a home in 6 months and Sonos inability to handle karaoke will directly affect my decision on what type of audio equipment I'm going to install. I want to keep it simple and beautiful, but as karaoke is a prerequisite I'm begrudgingly leaning towards an non-Sonos system. If there is any reason I should hold out, such as something in the pipe line, please let me know.
My suggestions are following (w/ some assumptions on hardware): (1) All your gears, including Karaoke, can connect to the TV using HDMI cable; the audio optical signal from TV can be fed to the digital optical audio switcher (the one I use has 3 ports) using Toslink cable (2) On Karaoke you will connect the analog output (or Mixer's which is best) to Analog to digital audio converter adapter, the converted signal (optical) will feed to the same audio switcher mentioned in (1) You can use IR remote comes w. audio switcher to select audio source between (1) and (2). I use same setup at home and able to enjoy excellent Karaoke and music representation on my Playbar/Paysub/Play1 surround system.
I'm building a home in 6 months and Sonos inability to handle karaoke will directly affect my decision on what type of audio equipment I'm going to install. I want to keep it simple and beautiful, but as karaoke is a prerequisite I'm begrudgingly leaning towards an non-Sonos system. If there is any reason I should hold out, such as something in the pipe line, please let me know.
You can hook Karaoke up to the Analog audio in of the Connect Amp (RCA Connectors).  you can run extended RCA cables through the wall to wherever your Connect amp will be (the benefit of new construction), the other end of the RCA cables can be near your TV so you can plug the video out portion to the TV easily.  If you're going to use a desktop computer to run Karaoke, the answer is really the same except you probably would have more options for audio out, but you'll still want to convert it to RCA to plug into the Connect amp.
Thank you so much for the response. The room will have: - TV Monitor - Sonos Playbar - Sonos Sub - Connect Amp - Rear speakers and - Roku - Cable Box - Gaming system(s) - Karaoke I am planing on hooking up the Roku, Cable, and Wii via and HDMI switcher. How exactly would you work the karaoke set up into this? And can I do it using a mini desktop computer?
You can hook up analog o/p from Karaoke m,ixer to a A/D converter that has. optical port. then use a optical cable switcher (w/ remote) and connect o/p to sonos S/PDIF optical input . The switcher allows you add other audio source (ie., TV, Blue-Ray) - I purchase A/D and optical switcher from Amazon less than 100.00 US in total.
Sonos is the only whole-house audio system you should consider, especially in new construction.  That would be a dream for me!  Anyway, I personally wouldn't let karaoke affect your decision.  I mean; how often could you use karaoke versus just listening to immersive music all day, every day?  I love my Sonos system. I've never regretted it for one second.  I am using in-ceiling speakers, sonos connects and russound amps for my system.  It is a seamless, unobtrusive and beautiful installation.  I highly recommend going this route.
i would love this. have been trying to find a way to hook up my lucky voice home karaoke system to the playbar. a wireless sonos mic would be immense!
Userlevel 2
This needs to happen for summer. Would be a game changer. Also imagine featuring it in a online TV ad!
You've got me... my partner already murders enough of my favourite songs singing them without a mic and amplification! I fear adding this functionality may make me resent my Sonos system and launch it out the window... I would be saddened by that! Sonos, I beg you... if you implement this feature all I ask is that you hide it deep in the setting where my partner can't find it and do not advertise it! Many thanks from this music and Sonos lover... karaoke at home hater!
It's a must!!! I use my Sonos regularly for big parties. It would totally be ideal for karaoke - but even more so, a wireless mic would be brilliant for making announcements over the party music. With out a soundboard bridge the aux input alone on Sonos seems to have a lot of interference.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
You've got me... my partner already murders enough of my favourite songs singing them without a mic and amplification! I fear adding this functionality may make me resent my Sonos system and launch it out the window... I would be saddened by that! Sonos, I beg you... if you implement this feature all I ask is that you hide it deep in the setting where my partner can't find it and do not advertise it! Many thanks from this music and Sonos lover... karaoke at home hater!
I'm only playing Dave... for those who love Karaoke this would obviously be great but I'm really not a fan thanks to my partners terrible voice... well and mine! Haha!
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I have to agree Jack, a sonos karaoke feature would make me have to re-evaluate why I invested in sonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
It's a huge feature to be had; I don't like to sing Karaoke myself but there are many who does, for those that could make use of the feature, Sonos would be the best thing ever, might be the only reason they would dig deeper for a set of speaker. If you don't like Karaoke on your Sonos then simply don't use it.  
You can achieve this with either a sonos connect, connect:amp, or play 5 - they all have line-in so you could wire up a karaoke machine to them.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It's a huge feature to be had; I don't like to sing Karaoke myself but there are many who does, for those that could make use of the feature, Sonos would be the best thing ever, might be the only reason they would dig deeper for a set of speaker. If you don't like Karaoke on your Sonos then simply don't use it.  
Jack clearly you or a partner have a terrible voice hence why you're against it. Why can't the music stream through one speaker and a secondary speaker stream your voice through a microphone hence if the singing is that bad you can just turn up Music louder
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Goodness no... definitely NOT!