Answered

iTunes .xml permission issue

• 31 December 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge
Hi.

I'm importing an (PC) iTunes .xml file to my Sonos Music Library. 99% of the songs are located on an Linux server through SMB share. iTunes has access to these songs, since the share //myserver/Music is visible (read access) on the PC.

However when I import the iTunes .xml file into Sonos, the Sonos controller doesn't have permission to the songs.

Is this normal?

I believe that if the PC has access to the server, and the Sonos controller has access to the PC, Sonos should have required permissions to access the server straight away ?!

An .xml path entry looks like that ...

code:
file://localhost//myserver/Music/Albums%20(vinyl)/The%20Beatles%20-%20The%20Blue%20Album%20(28)/14%20-%20The%20Beatles%20-%20The%20Long%20and%20Winding%20Road.mp3
icon

Best answer by Keith N 31 December 2018, 21:12

Hello, geohei_170. While the PC may have permissions to access the server, it's important to make sure that the folder containing the library is set to share with Sonos directly. The PC is not accessing the server, Sonos is.

When it comes to network sharing permissions and local libraries, I typically recommend getting in contact with our support team directly. They are able to set up a remote session and take a much closer look at how Sonos is requesting the information and help ensure all permissions are set properly.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello, geohei_170. While the PC may have permissions to access the server, it's important to make sure that the folder containing the library is set to share with Sonos directly. The PC is not accessing the server, Sonos is.

When it comes to network sharing permissions and local libraries, I typically recommend getting in contact with our support team directly. They are able to set up a remote session and take a much closer look at how Sonos is requesting the information and help ensure all permissions are set properly.
Badge
Thanks a lot for your answer.

The permission issue is partially (!) solved. In Sonos library, I included the server directly (Add music folder - Another folder or a drive connected to my computer). I can play the songs I imported in iTunes. Fine ...

... but, the server holds #1000 songs. Only #500 songs are imported in iTunes. Now, Sonos gets access to all #1000 songs from the server. I would only like to see the #500 from the iTunes library I configured in Sonos (through the iTunes .xml file).

How can I do that?
All media files have to be consolidated into the parent folder. Subsequently the share/path should point to the parent folder 'iTunes' (not 'iTunes Media') in order for Sonos to have access to music files, album art and playlists.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201625
Badge
Thanks.

Consolidating is not possible for me due waste of HDD space. I can't afford to have the songs twice on my setup. I just can't copy all .mp3 files (through the consolidating feature of iTunes, link you posted). Other software is accessing the music library on my server. I won't change my entire music setup just because of Sonos.

Besides this, I noticed that, if I don't include the server directly into the Sonos Music Library (\\myserver\Music), I can play the songs, but the MP3 tags are apparently not read entirely. I can see the cover image and all relevant MP3 tag data in the middle pane (Now Playing ...) of the Windows controller, but on the right pane (Music Library > Imported Playlists > ...) I can see the songs inside the playlists, can select them to play, but there is no cover image. Also Artists, Albums, Genre and Songs sections are not filled.

If I see the MP3 tag data in the middle pane and if I can play the songs, the .mp3 files have read permission for Sonos. So why s the right pane not properly parsing MP3 tags?

As I said, if I add the server directly as Music Library source, the right pane shows all MP3 tag data properly.
Consolidating is not possible for me due waste of HDD space. I can't afford to have the songs twice on my setup. I just can't copy all .mp3 files (through the consolidating feature of iTunes, link you posted). Other software is accessing the music library on my server. I won't change my entire music setup just because of Sonos.
Sonos can't read the iTunes Library XML file without having access to the physical data as well. You need to point Sonos to the Linux server where your music files are located.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en
Badge
Sonos can't read the iTunes Library XML file without having access to the physical data as well. You need to point Sonos to the Linux server where your music files are located.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en

Well ... Sonos can read the iTunes .xml file from the iTunes folder structure, since its playlists are visible inside the Sonos controller (Music Library > Imported playlists). Also, the playlist songs can be played from there. Hence, Sonos definitely has read permissions for these .mp3 files located on the server. However the MP3 tags of these files ARE not read (as opposed to CANNOT be read). If the file can be played by Sonos, the same Sonos should also be able to read the MP3 tags.

This doesn't make sense at all.

Please confirm above described behavior.

Thanks,

(BTW, I read your support link - doesn't help in my case)
Give Sonos Support a call as already suggested by Keith N. Since I uploaded my iTunes library to iCloud and subscribed to Apple Music I no longer maintain a Sonos music library.
Badge
Ok ... done.
Thanks