Answered

iTunes play count

• 23 January 2018
  • 17 replies

I am really only using Sonos to play music downloaded on my phone. I understand it is different from iTunes but would be really helpful if anyone has figured out a work around this problem since I have years of history of my music stored in play count and I can't live without updating it
icon

Best answer by Tiger519 30 January 2018, 17:33

The suggestions Tiger519 provided don't seem to be to relevant/or are expensive for my Sonos Play:One speaker.

Yeah, sorry I missed that this was for a single Play:1. The only option that would work is trying to get Airsonos up and running to make it an Airplay source, but as mentioned it currently doesn't work on Windows. So you would need a Raspberry Pi, probably a 3 (I don't thiknk the performance on the Zero would be great), which is going to already run you $40-70 and is not cost effective for a single speaker. Just pray that Airplay 2 comes soon and is available for Play:1 without additional hardware.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Can't live without it, really! Sounds like a first world problem to me.
Haha, didn't literally mean that. But it is vital enough that I am considering returning the speaker if I can't figure a way around it. Won't have this issue with Bluetooth speakers but none of their sound qualities are even close to how good Sonos is. Hence the dilemma!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
And there you have it 😃. You will never find a Bluetooth speaker as good as the Sonos. Maybe the forthcoming Airplay 2 compatability is just what you are after?
Can you tell me a bit more about Airplay 2 compatibility? I have no clue.

1. When is this coming?
2. What would it result in? You can play directly without Sonos app?
3. Will it be available for free on Sonos Play: One speaker and on iPhone?

Please pardon me for my ignorance and reluctance to google it 🙂
1) We won't know that until it is released. Sonos rarely gives firm dates.
2) Yes.
3) Yes, at the very least it will work with the Sonos One, and Sonos never charges for updates.
That's indeed a pity (not updating play count when playing from the Sonos app). I have a smart playlist which picks new songs from the least recently played (amongst other criteria) so this wouldn't update when played through the Sonos app.
I wonder if it updates when playing from iCloud on another device? Probably an iCloud limitation then.
I tried it with my Apple TV and the play count doesn't increase when playing from the iCloud library either so it's probably not a Sonos issue but an Apple iCloud issue. Send feedback to Apple?
Userlevel 2
Badge
If you have an Airport Express or AppleTV you can get around this by Airplaying to those devices and connecting them to your Sonos speaker (Playbar requires ATV3 or earlier for optical out, Play5 or Connect I believe can use the minijack output on the Express). Playcounts WILL update if you do it like this (there are some issues with playcounts in general as GVansteelant mentioned, but if functioning at all, this setup will work).

Unfortunately those are the only methods that are going to work with playcount support. There is a nodejs module called Airsonos which you can try, but as of now it doesn't work on Windows (there is a prebuilt package for Windows but it doesn't have the latest updates required for working with ios9+). You could probably buy a Raspberry Pi 3 and use that to install and run airsonos, but I have not personally done this so beware that it might not work for some reason (i.e. disclaimer in case you buy a RPi and is doesn't work).

Also, it's likely that this will work once Airplay 2 is released. But right now we don't know exactly how it will be supported. Playbase, Play5, and Sonos ONE are all supposed to work, but we don't know how it will interact with other Sonos speakers. They may release software update for them, or you may be required to have one of the newer devices I listed and then all your speakers will work, or worst case the old speakers just won't be supported. I love the quality of my Sonos but play counts have been a stressful problem to try to solve for me as well. Personally I have an ATV3 that I use as my input source for Playbar, but you can't select "Full" for the surround speakers (one of which is right on my desk), so it's still not perfect. Crossing my fingers that Airplay 2 will work with my Playbar!!! I'm even willing to buy a Sonos ONE to enable Airplay 2 on my system if that's what it takes, but I'm going to be very disappointed if I can't get it to work on my playbar at all.
I also tried Twitter and Facebook but doesn't update automatically so you have to manually share every song played. Seems like no solution to this so far but I think there should be a way to work around this if so many people rely on it.

The suggestions Tiger519 provided don't seem to be to relevant/or are expensive for my Sonos Play:One speaker.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah, sorry I missed that this was for a single Play:1. The only option that would work is trying to get Airsonos up and running to make it an Airplay source, but as mentioned it currently doesn't work on Windows. So you would need a Raspberry Pi, probably a 3 (I don't thiknk the performance on the Zero would be great), which is going to already run you $40-70 and is not cost effective for a single speaker. Just pray that Airplay 2 comes soon and is available for Play:1 without additional hardware.
Can you explain a bit more about Airsonos? Will it be able to update play count when I play music from iPhone on Sonos? How does one install it and where?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Can you explain a bit more about Airsonos? Will it be able to update play count when I play music from iPhone on Sonos? How does one install it and where?

Actually, I found a new tool today - AirConnect - which actually works for Windows, as well as many other platforms. I couldn't find any community rules about 3rd party tools, so my apologies if this discussion isn't allowed. This is obviously not supported by Sonos or Apple.

AirConnect (like AirSonos) is a server that can send audio to Sonos via Airplay, although this actually supports just about any UPnP player (as well as Chromecast in a separate module, though you want UPnP for Sonos). You just need to download the files from the AirConnect Github site at https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect. There are instructions there on how to install and some tweaks you need to make to play on Sonos. This is much more straight forward than setting up nodejs! Just about anyone comfortable with computers in general should be able to get this running. Once it's running, you'll see the Sonos as an Airplay source on your iDevices and in iTunes. I've been running it all day today and can confirm that your play counts update as expected for any native Airplay source. The only potential drawback is that you do have to have a always-on computer to run the server, so if you are a completely tablet-based household this won't work for you.

So I actually owe you thanks for causing me to re-look at Airsonos and discover AirConnect 😃 Hope this works for you as well!
Haha, good to hear about this discovery. So both AirSonos and AirConnect wouldn't work if I play music through my phone, right?
Userlevel 2
Badge
They will! You just need a computer to run the server. It doesn't have to be the one you are trying to play music from or even one with iTunes installed (it could be a completely dedicated Raspberry Pi 3, for example). As long as the server is running somewhere on your network, your Sonos will appear as an Airplay source, and can be selected from any iOS or Apple device such as your iPhone, iTunes on a PC, MacBook, etc.
Awesome, got it! Excited to make all this work
Userlevel 2
Badge
I also want to keep track on my play count from ITunes. So I do this: I plug my iPhone to the audio input (or is it output) of my Sonos Play:5 and then I play the songs from my iphone. If I want to listen to them in an other room, I group the play:5 to the other speakers. However, I really hope Airplay2 lets you access the ITunes library in the cloud directly so play count is no issue anymore.
Userlevel 1
Badge
You can use this https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect/, it offers an AirPlay interface to all Sonos players