Question

itunes music library on sonos not updating with new songs added to itunes on PC

• 14 February 2013
  • 56 replies

I have the Sonos app on my ipad and iphone but the itunes music library setting doesn't update for new songs added to itunes on my PC. What do I need to do please ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello, In order for Sonos to see your new songs added on the PC, the Sonos Music Index will need to be updated. You can update your music index using the Sonos Desktop Controller for PC by selecting Manage --> Update Music Library Now. Sonos will then scan through your shared music folder on the PC and find any new files that have been added to it. Let me know if you have any questions about this process. Thanks!
Hello..I am having the same problem. I have purchased new music in itunes...added them to my folders and playlists in itunes. Opened up Sonos and went to the Manage>update music library now tab. It does show that it is indexing but it never finds the new music. I am directing it to the folder in which the itunes music is stored and haven't had this problem in recent months but it isn't updating now. I have tried this 5 times today without success. Should I try unplugging the bridge?
Having similar problem. Sonos is looking for music in my old laptop "MACBOOKpro17", not my new one "MACBOOKpro15". I deleted the old libraries and tried to add new one, but it lets me browse to folder on new mac, then says can't connect to MACBOOKpro17. Any tips? Thx John
I have figured out my problem today if anybody is interested...Took me a little while but now I understand what iTunes is doing and why the Sonos wasn't updating.
I have figured out my problem today if anybody is interested...Took me a little while but now I understand what iTunes is doing and why the Sonos wasn't updating.
um....want to share? I just found that my system is now ignoring library updates also.
Ok...In my case I keep all my music and movies in a dedicated media drive (F Drive). When I look at any music through iTunes (Get Info) I see that the music is stored in the proper location in the F Drive. Upon updating any playlist apparently iTunes places the updated file in my C drive under "users/bill/documents/mymusic/itunes" and the file is called "iTunes music library.xml". I have to copy this file and then paste it into my F drive music location to overwrite the existing file. I could se that my F Drive file of the same name had not been updated since last march, apparently that is when I realized I was having a challenge with this the last time and copied the new file over...LOL Even though in iTunes Ihave "My Preferences" set to place ALL music in the F Drive location it still places the updated playlists/new music in the C Drive. Hopefully this makes sense?
I have tried updating my music library in Sonos several times and it never picks up newly purchased music from iTunes. What else do you recommend?
I have tried updating my music library in Sonos several times and it never picks up newly purchased music from iTunes. What else do you recommend?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello, Is this music that you've purchased from iTunes on a computer or from iTunes on an iPhone / iPad? Please make sure that the newly purchased music is downloaded to the computer itself and not in iCloud, otherwise Sonos will not be able to get to it. You can also use iTunes to find the song in question and right-click on it to select Get Info. This will show you exactly where the file is under Where in the summary section. Make sure that the file is located in a folder within the Sonos music share; if it isn't, you can move the file to the correct location and then reindex.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello John, That error message you're seeing could be appearing for a number of reasons. I can probably shed some more light on what's going on if I can see a diagnostic report from your system. Please recreate the error message, then follow the steps listed here to grab a report and let me know what the confirmation number is: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142 Thanks!
how do I make sure I am downloading to the computer and not the iCloud? Do I need to switch I cloud off? does this not work with Sonos?
my purchases have been made through Itunes and with the icloud switched on. So not sure how the sonos systme can see these tracks?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
You can download the tracks you've purchased from the Purchased section of the iTunes Store. These FAQs from Apple may be of more assistance: Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519 How to Enable Automatic Downloads: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4539
The tracks are already downloaded? They are in iTunes and show on my various devices through the cloud. The issue is that although they have been downloaded, the PC which sonos stores my library onshore them the same as all other tracks and in the same file which other music is in, but they don't appear in sonos library when I update index?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Got it! Thanks for the clarification. I'd like you to check a couple of things for me. Please open iTunes on your PC and find one of the tracks that's missing in Sonos. Right click on the track and select Get Info. This should show you the Kind of file it is. Please let me know what it lists for Kind. I'd also like to see a diagnostic report from your Sonos system so I can make sure it's indexing properly. Please follow the instructions in this link: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142 and let me know what the confirmation number is. Thanks!
Just checked this: Kind is Purchased AAC audio file. Confirmation number : 3052978
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Purchased AAC should be just fine. I'm also seeing from the diagnostic report that you have plenty of memory on Sonos for new tracks to be indexed, so no problem there either. I do see that you have a couple of computers that you're using to control Sonos, but Sonos is only looking for music on one of the computers (Windows). Are the newly purchased tracks downloaded to that PC or are they downloaded to your other computer (Mac)?
I download them to my mac and store them on an external hard drive but the tracks are copied across to the PC and they appear in iTunes and the library file even when the Mac is switched off. I leave the PC on permanently so as to be able to store music here and for the sole purpose of accessing all my music library through sonos. I have purchased tracks on the PC without the involvement of the Mac and they too have not shown when indexing? Its almost like the file has started storing somewhere else but actually when I checked they are in the same place as other songs showing?
I have a somewhat similar problem. I bought a new computer 3 weeks ago, upon which I copied my music library. However, despite my iTunes Music folder appearing to be complete (e.g., for one artist, all 7 of my albums are in there), when I ran Update Music Library in Sonos not all the music was found (e.g., only 3 of the albums are now in Sonos). And I can't make sense of why some albums made it while others did not (e.g., there is a mixture of MPEG 3 and MPEG 4 among them). Also, and perhaps unrelated, I've been having difficulty accessing my old playlists - they don't work in Sonos now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I've spent hours trying different things...
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have a somewhat similar problem. I bought a new computer 3 weeks ago, upon which I copied my music library. However, despite my iTunes Music folder appearing to be complete (e.g., for one artist, all 7 of my albums are in there), when I ran Update Music Library in Sonos not all the music was found (e.g., only 3 of the albums are now in Sonos). And I can't make sense of why some albums made it while others did not (e.g., there is a mixture of MPEG 3 and MPEG 4 among them). Also, and perhaps unrelated, I've been having difficulty accessing my old playlists - they don't work in Sonos now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I've spent hours trying different things...
I'd suggest removing your current music from Sonos altogether and then re-adding it. You'll be able to specify which music folder Sonos should be indexing as part of this process. The tracks themselves showed up in Sonos previously, correct? Is it possible they were moved to another location on the computer? I can also help further if I can see a diagnostic report from you system: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142
Hello, In order for Sonos to see your new songs added on the PC, the Sonos Music Index will need to be updated. You can update your music index using the Sonos Desktop Controller for PC by selecting Manage --> Update Music Library Now. Sonos will then scan through your shared music folder on the PC and find any new files that have been added to it. Let me know if you have any questions about this process. Thanks!
Fantastic - this solved my issue. I could not understand why the iTunes purchases made on my iPod were not available to Sonos, even after I had synched my iPod and iMac to update my iTunes library. After updating the Music Index all of my music could be seen and streamed to Sonos.
I have been battling this problem as well.  Any new music I've added to my Music folder will not show up in the SONOS music library regardless of re-indexing, etc.  I have removed the entire directory and re-added it.  Nothing. No errors, it just doesn't see anything added after the first time I set up the system.  I can see new music in the sonos 'folders' section, but not in the music library.  These are purchased songs from itunes, and then the new folders copied to a NAS.  
There is no option to edit ID Tags since these are not MP3s. (I read somewhere else on this site about editing ID Tags, but could not figure out how to do this in itunes 11.  In song view you no longer see this option for non-MP3 songs.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have been battling this problem as well.  Any new music I've added to my Music folder will not show up in the SONOS music library regardless of re-indexing, etc.  I have removed the entire directory and re-added it.  Nothing. No errors, it just doesn't see anything added after the first time I set up the system.  I can see new music in the sonos 'folders' section, but not in the music library.  These are purchased songs from itunes, and then the new folders copied to a NAS.  
There is no option to edit ID Tags since these are not MP3s. (I read somewhere else on this site about editing ID Tags, but could not figure out how to do this in itunes 11.  In song view you no longer see this option for non-MP3 songs.

Hi there, what format are your song files in? If you browse through them in the Folders view, do they appear to have proper metadata tags? The other sections in the music library sort the tracks based on their available metadata, so if there's nothing available for the Album, Artist, or Track names, then they will not appear in that section.

I ask about the format because most modern file types support these tags, but older formats like WAV have limited or no support for these.

Hey Bawg,
Here is what I learned. When I add music to my itunes library, the songs are actually SAVED on my C: drive in the Users/documents/mymusic/itunes folder. Even though ALL my music and movies are stored on my media drive (F in my case). I have even tried re-setting the itunes to direct this to my F drive and it will place it there but by default it adds ALL new files into the above reference location.

Close iTunes at this time!

Here's what I do AFTER I add new music in iTunes....I go to my C:\Users\Bill\Music\iTunes folder and I COPY the iTunes Music Library.xml file. If you recently added music it will have the most recen update date listed. After I copy the file I then paste it into the F drive where the music in the is located AND where my sonos is directed to index. In my case it is F:\Documents\My Music\iTunes. After I paste the file into this folder I can then have Sonos index into this directory and it will update.

Why do I have it set this way...well I have a 3 TB drive for media set aside..ALL of my media is located there. iTunes wants to always go to the C drive for whatever reason and place the .xml file update there. None of my music is actually on the C drive. It is ALL on the F drive.

See if that helps as I was stumped for quite some time on this but now I do it at least monthly so that Sonos is up to date. Hopefully that isn't too confusing or redundant.. :)
Good Luck
Bill

Thanks, but I have tried that already.  I read this from another post.   Just to be safe, I did it again this morning.  I removed my library from the  SOnos system.  Copied everything again including the XML into a completely new path/directory and re-added that inside sonos, then re-updated etc.  Sonos still only shows my original library that I added when I first setup the Sonos system  I can't see a single album or song that was added since unless I go to folders.