iTunes Match

• 12 September 2012
  • 25 replies

Please add iTunes Match support asap!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
That would be cool. However, I don't believe Apple will have any interest in allowing a third party likes Sonos access to iTunes Match. Apple will want users using iOS and Airplay. Shame, but I think that's the state of play.
Badge +18
Hi Rolf, At this time, Apple has not opened iTunes Match to third-party developers, like Sonos. iTunes Match remains a closed system and can only be used via iOS and OSX. That said, there are ways to use iTunes Match with your Sonos system. Please see this answer for details: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1378 Also, it's worth noting that Amazon Cloud Music offers a similar experience and is available on Sonos.
Connect with your iPhone to iMatch. Then, in the Sonos app on your iPhone, there should be a button: stream to Sonos device. in that case there is no 3rd party connecting to iMatch, like Alan wrote 3 month ago.
Userlevel 1
With iOS 6.1, third party apps now have access to all iTunes Match Music on the iOS Music App; including non-downloaded songs to display/play in the third party app. Will Sonos update the feature to see all music? Currently Sonos only supports downloaded songs on the iOS device.
Bump on this. Debating moving to Amazon, because of this one capability. Is there any future news on Match being supported like Amazon Cloud is?
Badge +18
Hello, Unfortunately, you'll have to ask Apple if they have future plans to open iTunes Match to 3rd party developers (like Sonos). Until Apple makes their services available outside of their own products, neither Sonos or other companies are able to develop for them. You could setup an Airport Express as an AirPlay endpoint and connect it to a player's line-in to seamlessly stream iTunes Match content to Sonos as described here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1241/
Userlevel 1
John M, Apple has updated iOS 6.1 to allow third party iOS apps to access iTunes Match on the apple device. Currently with Sonos ios app relaese 3.8.3 "Wireless iTunes Playback" is only for music downloaded from iTunes Match to the apple device. However, with apple ios 6.1, Sonos app has the ability to see the full iTunes Match library for the "Wireless iTunes Playback" feature. It is not full support but an option that should be updated for the Sonos "Wireless iTunes Playback".
Userlevel 1
Here is a related discussion of ios 6.1 and how car audio systems can now see iTunes Match library. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4757882?start=0&tstart=0
Badge +18
Hi Sam, Good comments. Looking at the link you provided, I would guess that the interface for the car audio system and the iPhone is a USB / cable connection. Essentially the car system treats the iPhone as through it's a docked accessory and the system itself is a variation on an iPod dock. If there are API changes in iOS 6.1, it could mean that it's now technically feasible for a Sonos DOCK to 'see' iTunes Match content in the cloud through a docked iPhone / iPod (with the old style 30-pin connector, that is). The way Sonos Wireless iTunes Playback works is a bit different than a docked device. We use the iDevice as a streaming server for the Sonos players over your wireless connection, not with a cable and the dock accessory software baked into iOS. This is why it's necessary to have the songs downloaded onto the device, it's the only way Sonos can access them to wirelessly stream them. I think the original request in the thread would be to have iTunes Match integrated like any other Sonos music service. That would certainly require an available API from Apple for Sonos (or anyone else) to implement.
Userlevel 1
Look at the ios app CoverJam. Prior to ios 6.1, it would only show the downloaded music library. After 6.1 it shows all iTunes Match library and can start the music stream in the app. I believe the Sonos app should have the same ability now. I understand the desire for full Sonos/iTunes Match, however I believe Sonos can now use the iDevice to access full iTunes Match with Wireless ITunes Playback feature with iDevice as the streaming server.
Badge +18
Sam, I just downloaded CoverJam and tested it out to see what you mean. What I've noticed is that CoverJam is using the Music playback function from iOS for playback and that it does work with iTunes Match content in the cloud. If you double-tap the home button and bring up the playback controls, it shows the icon for Music next to the Controls. Sonos Wireless iTunes Streaming is different in that we don't use the iOS Music playback functions. Rather, we stream the file to the player and the player handles the decode / playback. This does mean that it's unfortunately still not possible for us to play iTunes Match content in the cloud without downloading it to the device first. Our app needs access to the file in order to transport it to the player for playback, even with iOS 6.1. This could be a step in the right direction though, perhaps future versions of iOS will bring even greater access to iTunes Match content for developers.
Userlevel 1
Ok that makes sense.
I think the future will provide some more access to iTunes Match. What about the bridge being a native airplay device. Now that would be the best, then you could use all the native iTunes/iPhone software. Is that just a pipe dream?
Userlevel 2
Hi Rolf, At this time, Apple has not opened iTunes Match to third-party developers, like Sonos. iTunes Match remains a closed system and can only be used via iOS and OSX. That said, there are ways to use iTunes Match with your Sonos system. Please see this answer for details: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1378 Also, it's worth noting that Amazon Cloud Music offers a similar experience and is available on Sonos.
This isn't true anymore. Since iOS 6 iTunes match music is available for developers. Will an update be coming out?
Given every other popular/useful Sonos service is a streaming services, I can't imagine this is too far down the pipeline. What service could have a larger user audience than iTunes? Pandora? Spotify? Amazon Cloud Player? All doubtful.
Badge +18
Bren, iTunes Match Music is (unfortunately) still not available in the way that it needs to be for Sonos to playback. Here's a snippet of a response from this thread which can be found in the collapsed comments below: Sonos Wireless iTunes Streaming is different in that we don't use the iOS Music playback functions. Rather, we stream the file to the player and the player handles the decode / playback. This does mean that it's unfortunately still not possible for us to play iTunes Match content in the cloud without downloading it to the device first. Our app needs access to the file in order to transport it to the player for playback, even with iOS 6.1. The iTunes Match access for developers in iOS 6 only adds this access if the file is played through the device using built-in playback controls. It's necessary for Sonos to have direct access to the file itself in order to stream wirelessly from the device and at this time, that means it must be present on the device itself.
Badge
John M--why not just add native AirPlay support to SONOS--as many have suggested. Wouldn't this satisfy everyone? I get that we can add an AirPort Express as an AirPlay device--but it would be so much better if you guys built in this feature. "Everyone else is doin' it" SONOS is usually the leader--not the lagger--why are you guys lagging on this feature????
Is there going to be any movement in iTunes Match with iOS 7 round the corner, find it a bit frustrating not being able to use this function. Back to using the sound link 2 at the moment for that!!
http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1u6na3/request_itunes_match_sonos_tweak/

what about a jailbroken tweak?
Yes, I agree that the iTunes match has really been an issue for me!  I have been really frustrated that I am limited to only what's on my phone to play on my speakers.  I end up using Pandora a lot and I like creating my own playlists.  Please advise!!!!
Mark, I had the same problem and after struggling to find an answer I decided to drop off iMatch and signed up for Deezer. It's much better than iMatch! You can also have Soundcloud on Sonos!
I’m still interested in knowing if iTunes Match support will be added. It will probably dictate whether or not I invest in more Sonos for the whole house.
I’m still interested in knowing if iTunes Match support will be added. It will probably dictate whether or not I invest in more Sonos for the whole house.
Apple controls what can access their cloud. It's not up to Sonos.
Badge
Is still iTunes match not supported?
Badge
Is still iTunes match not supported?
you can only access iTunes match if you subscribe to iTunes music and then you can stream it to sonos speakers even if your computer is off. Of course if your computer is on you do not need iTunes music and you can stream it from your computer