Answered

iTunes / local iPhone music ever going to be available?

• 19 November 2019
  • 8 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I am sorely missing the option to play music from my iPhone through my Sonos system.

I know I can use Airplay but where is the integration? I want to use my iTunes playlists that I created over the years. This is a huge bummer since I invested over $1500 in a smart sound system and I can’t use it to its full extent. 

I guess I am old school and I still mostly listen to the 500+ albums that I own in addition to streaming on Spotify. But Spotify doesn’t have everything and not the same quality. Plus I can not use my playlists for example to set alarms in the app.

Will this feature ever be available?

icon

Best answer by John B 19 November 2019, 21:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

No it won't, given the reasons why it had to be dropped.  Numerous ways to play tracks you own are set out in the various thresds on this topic.

And I think the “this topic” topic that John is speaking of is here:

main thread

It is incredibly frustrating and disappointing from Sonos. I will never ever buy one of their products again.

I feel the same way about Apple, who forced this change.

It is incredibly frustrating and disappointing from Sonos. I will never ever buy one of their products again.

That is rather ironic, given that you would be able to play from your phone to any new Sonos speaker. And by grouping,  to the rest of your speakers. 

Sonos needs to figure this out. The answer to 99 out of 100 questions is MONEY! Sonos needs to pay up - I guarantee that the lost revenue over the next 5 years from frustrated clients (myself included) and the people they turn away because of this annoying issue would have paid for the necessary upgrades/changes.  Figure IT OUT!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos needs to figure this out. The answer to 99 out of 100 questions is MONEY! Sonos needs to pay up - I guarantee that the lost revenue over the next 5 years from frustrated clients (myself included) and the people they turn away because of this annoying issue would have paid for the necessary upgrades/changes.  Figure IT OUT!!!

What are you talking about? Apple make this impossible, so short of Sonos buying Apple and forcing the required operating system change there is no amount of money that solves your problem. As Apple are a trillion dollar company while Sonos are a billion dollar company, that isn’t going to happen.

Meanwhile a lot less money is required for you and your clients to buy a modern Sonos speaker and use Airplay 2 to play things directly from phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you really want to play the music that’s on you iPhone 99 dollars will make you 1500 dollar system whole again: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black-00357561/

Yes, you wil be out of pocket a bit. You can blame Apple for that.