Answered

ITunes have player -- Sonos as speakers

• 8 June 2021
  • 6 replies

iTunes Last Played and Play counts are important to me. I understand those functions don’t work using the Sonos player. Is it possible to play music via iTunes on my Mac using the Sonos speakers without using the Sonos player? I know I can do that via Airplay on my iPhone -- but that also does not compute Last Played and Play counts. I have sophisticated playlists on iTunes that don’t translate specifically to Sonos. I love the speakers but want to keep the versatility of the iTunes Player. Thoughts?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 June 2021, 19:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I spent considerable time with Apple Support. They understood the situation. My “case” has been kicked to the Engineering department. We shall see. Thanks to all the Sonos community.

I purchased a HomePod mini. Basically it’s the same issue. The Last Played and Play counts work fine if I’m playing music from my iTunes via my iPhone and AirPlay 2.

When I play music from iTunes via my Mac the Last Played and the Play counts work if it’s the Mac alone. When I add either a Sonos speaker or the new HomePod mini via AirPlay 2 the Last Played and the Play counts do Not work. So Airgetlam, I believe you are correct. Thanks for the feedback.

Userlevel 7

If iTunes on your Mac supports “Last Played” and play counts, then it shouldn’t be a problem when connected to a Sonos speaker over AirPlay. And it should also work over Bluetooth to a Sonos Move or Roam.

The only way to know for sure is to test it yourself.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, your Sonos will show up as an AirPlay speaker on your Mac.

GuitarSuperstar: The Last Played and play counts work when I play through my Mac music app on my iPhone and use AirPlay to play through my Sonos speakers -- which is a good work around. However the Last Played and play counts don’t work on my iTunes on my Mac when I click on the Sonos speakers via Airplay. Of course the Last Played and counts work when it’s solely my computer speaker. Thanks for your reply. 

That certainly suggests an issue with Apple’s software on the Mac specifically, ignoring AirPlay 2 as a source for counting. None of the “counting” software is at the speaker level. You could, however, prove me wrong, if you have a set of non-Sonos speakers you can use AirPlay 2 to connect to from the Mac, and show that iTunes is counting in that case. 

It may be worth checking with Apple about that, since it certainly seems odd that it works one way on your iOS device, and another on the MacOS device.