iTunes DRM workaround?

Userlevel 2
I understand that the sonos can receive internet "streaming mp3" content.

I also know of a unix/OSX application called "mt-pdaapd" server that will stream mp3 content to boxes like the slim server and roku(sp?).

If you install this application on OSX and have it stream all your aac content, Would this bypass the DRM and allow you to play iTunes music store songs?

13 replies

Userlevel 2
A streaming app like that *should* bypass any DRM, yes. But you lose a lot: no browsing the library on the controller, no ffwd/rew, no album art display, etc. That's the nature of a stream vs. direct access to the music library. At that point a lot of the benefits of the Sonos solution disappear...

Steve
Userlevel 2
I was just talking to a guy who is a super geek, He says that the mt-pdaapd, does support album art, Playlists, etc.

Have you tried this or are you guessing?

Mike
Userlevel 2
Has anyone tried this?
Userlevel 2
mt-daapd streams songs to iTunes clients, I don't think it's a generic mp3 stream.
For instance I run mt-daapd on my NAS (KuroBox - where all of my music is) giving iTunes on my Mac & iTunes on my wife's XP box access to all of our music w/o having to copy it ony our local drives...
I don't think Sonos can play an iTunes/mt-daapd stream.
Mark
Userlevel 2
You can always try using T***b***.....it re-records DRM WMA files to MP3's.

Works great, can retain the cover art and have full Sonos functionality.

Gord
Userlevel 2
Guys,

The reverse engineering or removal of DRM isn't allowable legally, irrespective of if you believe is it should be philosophically. As such we can't allow instructions on how to do it on a forum run by Sonos.

We are all for music everywhere, but hopefully everyone can understand that we need our forums to be 100% legally compliant.

thanks,
-graham
Userlevel 2
I understand your concern. Maybe we can rename the thread. "Getting iTunes to stream to Sonos".

I don't believe this is an illegal act. But, For the record. I'm back to buying CD's and Ripping them myself so I can use them when I order a Sonos system soon.

Please sit down with Apple asap and work this out. Downloading is better for the enviroment.

Thanks,

Mike
Userlevel 2

Please sit down with Apple asap and work this out. Downloading is better for the enviroment.

Thanks,

Mike

With you all the way on that Mike. We are ready and waiting, unfortunatly apple has choosen not to license their FairPlay DRM (which makes it a rather ironic name) to anyone, us included.

-graham