Question

iTunes Album artwork not transferring to Sonos

• 14 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I haveover a period of months been burning my 1700 plus CD’s onto my iTunes for my Sonos. Whe I do, the album artwork automatically appears on my iTunes (usually). However, when I then update my Sonos library whilst the music is picked up, the album artwork is not. I then have to go onto Google or Amazon and copy the album artwork , re-name it ‘Folder’ add it to album info in my iTunes and it then appears on my Sonos.I thought when an Album cover appears on iTunes when a CD is burned onto it and it provides the Album artwork it is embeded. Is this not the case? If not how do I know if an album artwork is embeded or not. Is there a setting I can adjust to make sure it is?

Seems daft that I have to copy the same album cover and paste it into iTunes along with the  same album cover and re-name it so it will appear on my Sonos. As you can imagine with over 1700 CD’s it is a right pain.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @pompeyexile, thanks for reaching out. Sorry to know about what's happening on your iTunes Album Art. Kindly check this article about Missing music library album art in the Sonos app for some troubleshooting steps that you can follow and let us know how it goes. 

Let me know your thoughts on the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Don't blame Sonos. ITunes handles album artwork differently from everything else on the planet. Not untypical for Apple.  

If you rip CDs using iTunes you will have to take further action to sort the artwork out with any other program.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Simon B,

Thanks for the response . I had already seen that particular thread but was just confused as to why iTunes artwork wasn’t in a format that Sonos could pick up.

John B, I wasn’t blaming Sonos just querying as to why one didn’t transfer to the other. I now know that it is to do with Apples formatting. I assumed (in my naivete) that if when burning a CD onto iTunes and iTues automatically provided the artwork and was therefore part of the file, linking my Sonos to my iTunes library it would be picked up too. As I said, not blaming, just lack of understanding on how these things work.

So, if re-formatting album artwork to ‘Folder.jpg’ is what’s required for it to appear on Sonos then so be it. I just thought there might be a way around it.