Issues with Explicit Filter when Casting Amazon Music to Sonos

• 3 January 2022
  • 5 replies

I was wondering if I could receive some assistance with trying to make sure that the Explicit filter is enabled when streaming music from the Amazon Music app. 

I can 'cast' the music from my phone in the Amazon Music app to the Sonos speakers directly. I have explicit filtering enabled both in the Amazon Music app and in the Sonos app. However, whenever I cast, I see a message in the Amazon app that says 'Block Explicit Songs is Unavailable while you are connected to the Sonos Speakers'. However, explicit content is still played.

Any thoughts? We have young children and I'm often casting music from my phone. I really need this feature to work.

*As a side note, we have an Echo Dot controlling the two Sonos speakers (One SLs). When using voice commands to play music, Explicit filtering works as intended. It only appears to be an issue when casting from the Amazon Music app.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Like the message says, filtering doesn’t work on Amazon Music when casting to Sonos. If you want the filter to work, you need to stream Amazon Music directly from the Sonos app rather than casting from the Amazon Music app.

Why would casting versus going through the Sonos app make any difference on what and what isn’t filtered? I can understand that maybe using the Sonos app directly would utilize the explicit filter in that specific app, but why wouldn’t either the Amazon Music filter or the Sonos filter work when casting?

The filtering works just fine when using voice commands with an Echo Dot, and isn’t that essentially the same thing as casting?

This seems like a major oversight if this is ‘working as intended’.

Userlevel 7

When asking Alexa to play Amazon Music to your Sonos speakers, you are still streaming the music directly from the Sonos app, not casting the music from the Amazon Music app.

Is it possible to cast to the Echo device which in turn utilizes the Sonos speakers to play the music? Or perhaps cast to the Alexa group?

It does seem that something has fallen through a gap here, based on what you have observed.

I think if you cast specifically to the Echo device then that is where it will play, even if the Sonos speaker is the specified speaker in the group.  I doubt that you can cast to a group where there are Echo and Sonos speakers.