Issues with decoding (?) YouTube Music

• 10 February 2020
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 1

When trying to use Youtube Music with Sonos One (regardless of the activation way - either iOS app or voice assistant) I am very frequently getting playback issues: it’s playing a song and then suddenly displays an error message saying “the music can’t be decoded correctly” or something similar and skips the song being played. That’s annoying, so I was forced to switch to Google Music, the last has no issues like that.

Considering the same songs can be played with no issues on Youtube Music when listening on browser or on mobile devices via Youtube Music app ( headphones, not Sonos ) I am making a conclusion that the problem is on Sonos side.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

It’s more likely to be the connection between your Sonos speaker and your router, since your headphones are working. 

I would recommend a refresh of your network connection. Try unplugging your Sonos from power, then reboot your router. Once the router cOmes back up, plug your Sonos back in, and do some testing.

However, if that doesn’t fix the problem, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of Getting a “decoded” error, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.  

Badge +1

Found any fix for this? It is not a connection issue. I had racked my brains with customer support extensively.

and to prove that - you can stream from any other service and most likely you wont get that error.

Userlevel 1

Still unresolved, literally every 2nd song fails with “encoded incorrectly”

Hello @lakwalka 

Since you are still receiving that error message,  I would like to ask for you to send us a diagnostic and reply back with the confirmation number. 

Badge

I have the same issue.  I have a wired Playbar which randomly skips with the error as stated in this thread.

Diag # = 573322428

Cheers

Rob

Hey @rmijatovic 

Welcome to the Sonos Community.

Thank you for providing us with the diagnostic report. As Airgetlam suggested earlier, a reboot of your router and Sonos system is the best step to try as it will refresh the connection to Sonos and to the network. The reason for the reboot is that it seems like there is a miscommunication between your network and Google Play music which is why you are experiencing those errors. Take another diagnostic after you test out the audio after the reboot.

Badge

Hi David,

Performed the reboot of my network and SONOS devices. I’m still encountering the issue.

Diag # 1763319063

Rheers

Rob

Hey @rmijatovic 

Thank you for the diagnostic. I see that the same issue is still occurring. I would like to let that we are going to look more into this issue. We will provide updates and will notify you of our findings.

Badge

Thanks David.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same issue here. Thanks for looking into this, David! :)

Some issue here (youtube music), but it works with play music.

Userlevel 2

Wanted to add to this dialogue to say that I too have experienced this same issue. As stated previously, this only happens using YouTube music but not when using Google Play music. I had previously tried Spotify with no playback issues but wasn’t as satisfied with the music selection. As a direct result of this issue I cancelled my YouTube/Google play music subscription and switched to Amazon Prime unlimited and have had no issues at all. Since I’m well entrenched in the Google environment I would prefer to use their music service as well. However, with the recent announcement that Google Play music is ending sometime this year I will not resubscribe to this service until I’m confident that the YouTube music playback issue is resolved on Sonos.

I am also experiencing issues with YouTube Music playback (Play Music is fine). I get a variety of errors from the “not encoded correctly” to “cannot connect to YouTube Music”. I also get what I can only describe as occasional screeches during playback.

It is a topic that I am very interested in.

I too am getting the same fault. It seems to only effect music that is in my library and was transferred from Google Play to YouTube Music. 

I've tested the same tracks in Goole Play library and in the YouTube Music android app on my tablet and they play with no issues. 

My diagnostic code is 495571049.

BTW Ive noticed that it aeems to cut out around the 2 minutes 50 seconds mark

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same issue here.  Everything works fine with other services; this encoding issue is isolated to YouTube music for me.

I've been facing this issue for 2 months. YouTube music and Google Play music frequently skip tracks on my Sonos One pair. 

Userlevel 2

Same issue here. No problem with google play music (or any other service I use), only with youtube music. 

No problems playing directly on youtube music, it only happens over sonos. 

Same issue happens with me.

Like another person said, when replaying the music or going rewinding the glitch happens in the same moment.

It's really annoying, please fix this :)

Regards,

Rui

Same issue for me too. My entire library of uploaded music which was transferred from Google Play Music is impacted. 

If I pause a song and come back minutes later to resume it’ll play for some period of time then pop the message it’s not encoded properly and then skip to the next song. This is 100% consistent. Diagnostic code: 407397938

Same with me. I get it on albums purchased through google play which has since been transfered to youtube music. I see it a lot for continuous mixed tracks, where a “song” is typically a little more than an hour.