Question

Issue with Spotify usage conflict on Sonos

• 12 August 2015
  • 4 replies

Ever since the latest update, there is a issue with spotify usage. My wife and I both have our accounts plugged into our sonos system. If she is on her account at home listening to spotify across the sonos system and I start up my spotify account on the spotify mobile account, it cuts here off and vise versa (with the "your account has been paused because it is being used somewhere else). This is really annoying and was not happening before the last update. How can this be resolved?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi jdawg,

There shouldn't be any trouble with this, you'll need to make sure of which account is active on Sonos when you go to start Spotify. If it helps, within the Sonos Controller, just switching the account there doesn't change the source account that is in the queue or already playing. To change from your Spotify account to her's within Sonos, from a controller you need to switch the account then choose and add new tracks to the queue or add a new radio station to what's playing. If you had tracks from your account in the queue, you'll need to clear the queue and re-add tracks to it from her's.

Let us know how it goes.
I am having the same issue. My wife and I have our own accounts within a Spotify family account and with her account active in Sonos and my account on the mobile app, one pauses the other with the "playback elsewhere" error. Is the issue that we have a single family account?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I am having the same issue. My wife and I have our own accounts within a Spotify family account and with her account active in Sonos and my account on the mobile app, one pauses the other with the "playback elsewhere" error. Is the issue that we have a single family account?

As long as each family member has a separate account, meaning separate logins, you should be just fine on Sonos. The biggest trick is to make sure that you are playing from the right account using the different devices you want to have playing Spotify. If Sonos is connected to your account because you put some Spotify tracks into the queue using your account, and you then go to play Spotify on your account through your phone, you'll get that error message.

Changing the account in Sonos to play from someone else's Spotify account can be a little tricky to get the hang of, but once everyone has it figured out you shouldn't run into that error message.
Thanks Ryan- I figured out what I was doing wrong. In case it helps anyone else, here is where I messed up. Though I had created separate accounts within Sonos, I had used my phone to log myself out and my wife in to Spotify for authorization to use with Sonos. By using my phone I used the same link. So instead, what I had to do was delete my wife's Spotify account out of Sonos, go to her phone and authorize Spotify on the Sonos controller on her phone and that gave me a different link that I could use and now everything works. Just signing myself out and then signing her in on my phone wasn't enough- it just links to the master account. So instead I had to do it through her Spotify account on her phone.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings