Is this a valid URL to a radio stream...

Userlevel 2
...see, I haven't got a Sonos yet, and one thing I REALLY want to do is to listen to the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation). I saw that the link they have in order to listen to one of their channels is http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4.shtml?listen is that going to work on the Sonos? Can I listen to that without having my PC turnied on, should I choose to invest in an external drive.

Thanks for any help, Dave.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
I'm afraid it won't work Dave. Real audio streaming is not supported. Many many of us are hoping it will be supported in a future (the next) firmware release so all the mainstream BBC radio stations can be listened to. The great thing about for instance the Radio4 streams listings is we would be able to put in the favourites the latest 'Gardener's Question Time' or 'Start The Week' as well as listen to the live stream.

Come on Sonos...

Matt
Userlevel 2
mattev wrote:

Come on Sonos...

Matt

I agree.

Or could we get bbc to stream asx or mp3for their major stations (as they already do for 5,6,7 and 1Xtra)?!

Mike.
smithysrise wrote:

Or could we get bbc to stream asx or mp3for their major stations (as they already do for 5,6,7 and 1Xtra)?!

Mike,

I've tried, in fact got into an email correspondence with somebody at the BBC. They've actually rationalized to RA from other formats recently. I didn't get the feeling that it will be terribly likely they will extend streams in the near future. We may in fact lose the few stations we have.

Unfortunately by and large Europe seems to be standardized on Real Audio, so the same is generally true for Ireland, Non-BBC UK stations, French and Swiss stations too (which are the ones I'd like to be able to hook up to). From what I can see it is at least 70-30 in favor of Real Audio across those 4 nations.

---

Don't let us down Sonos :rolleyes:

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings