Is there anyway to stream Spotify without upgrading to a "premium" Spotify account?

• 25 December 2013
  • 130 replies

Userlevel 1
Maybe I just missed it in the sales literature and my pre-purchase research...but I'm surprised (disappointed really) to find out during Sonos installation that it requires a "premium" spotify account to stream spotify content in Sonos. Are there any workarounds? Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

130 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
requires premium for spotify.  I think Pandora is the only free streaming.
Userlevel 1
Yes when considering sonos you need to add the extra streaming costs to the purchase price. Adds up over a few years!
Userlevel 1
Really? This sucks - big time. FIX PLEASE!
Really? This sucks - big time. FIX PLEASE!

Agreed ! Sonos should be capable of streaming playlists from the free version of Spotify.
Disgraceful. I can plug the Ipad into any system, earphones or Harman/Kardon for example, and play Spotify for free.
Userlevel 3
Use line in from your mobile device...http://blog.sonos.com/tips-and-tricks/tip-using-line-in-on-sonos/
Defeats the object of WiFi but does this not need another Sonos component since I only have a bridge and 2 play 1s?
Userlevel 1
Yes I think this means spending hundreds more on sonos! Now I know why they didn't put an aux on the sonos 1. Cynical marketing ploy not an engineering mistake.
Corporate profit sharing in the most obvious and extreme.  As I said before, utterly disgraceful and completely untrustworthy.
Userlevel 3
Corporate profit sharing? Come on really...Isn't it up spotify to charge or not charge on sonos? Also, before buying a product, I'd do some research. https://www.spotify.com/us/sonos/ And for $200, the play1 got very positives reviews. It's simple to use, and there's a ton of free services they offer. And if you don't like it, return it if you feel the way you do. If not, sell it on ebay and you'll get back a good portion of your money. Is sonos perfect, no...but they are the best when it comes to sound quality in a multiroom system. I really want DTS, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Userlevel 1
I think the key questions for sonos are: 1. Why did you leave out the aux from the sonos 1? This means people can't use youtube, films, free spotify and deezer, etc. Their answer is spend hundreds more on the sonos 5 or connect! That is blatant profiteering which is short sighted as they make great speakers and could be the best if they thought longer term. 2. Why have they not negotiated a better deal for sonos customers with spotify and deezer so that sonos customers don't pay lots more money and get a worse music discovery experience?
Userlevel 3
If they were profiteering...the play5 would only work as rears making ppl spend more. But I do see your point
Userlevel 1
If they were profiteering...the play5 would only work as rears making ppl spend more. But I do see your point
Please don't give them any more money making ideas!
Userlevel 3
Haha, I don't know if your being sarcastic or not. I've given up on spotify and went to Beats music...so much better.
Userlevel 1
SO so sooooooooooooooooooo frustrating.   I streamed my free Spotify account to my janky bluetooth speaker and didn't even use my Sonos play 5 the other day.  What an utterly moronic decision by both companies.  I'm ready to ditch Sonos since it's basically limiting what any other wireless protocol would get you, AND the windows software for local library never works.  I'm over it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Need help on local library working? It should always work. $29 blutooth receiver hooked to play:5 equals full Bluetooth ability.
Userlevel 1
I spent hours and hours with at least 5 techs on my old machine trying to get library to work.  It worked for a week and then stopped.  I don't have the time in their awful customer support hours to devote to the saga.  Needless to say, it didn't work on my new Win 8.1 machine either.   I appreciate the offer of help, though.  I may look into a bluetooth receiver, but seems like a massive compromise/letdown to convert digital audio to a line in and no included bluetooth functionality, in addition to the extra cost.  If I had known all of these limitations I would have bought a different system, honestly.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If using an Apple device I tried installing air sonos on my computer and then AirPlay workerd well
If using an Apple device I tried installing air sonos on my computer and then AirPlay workerd well
really hoping Sonos and Spotify work something out. it should be available for free
SO so sooooooooooooooooooo frustrating.   I streamed my free Spotify account to my janky bluetooth speaker and didn't even use my Sonos play 5 the other day.  What an utterly moronic decision by both companies.  I'm ready to ditch Sonos since it's basically limiting what any other wireless protocol would get you, AND the windows software for local library never works.  I'm over it.

I agree also ready to ditch the sonos. Very frustrating that I am unable to play podcasts over it either.
Userlevel 2
Badge

I agree also ready to ditch the sonos. Very frustrating that I am unable to play podcasts over it either.

Well, you're the only poster in a year on this thread, so I don't think its a big issue. Spotify free service has adverts on it and those are not under Sonos control. I can just imagine Bose placing adverts about having the best wireless home audio system and that playing through Sonos systems.

And of course you can play podcasts. Just enter 'Sonos Podcasts' into Google and se a million articles and support messages.
Agree 100% with @TheSeeker. It takes a particular turn of mind to buy a great sounding speaker system like Sonos and then want to play the low bitrate, advert-polluted music available on Spotify free. Also, as I understand it, the decision to allow only the premium service on Sonos is Spotify's alone.

So by all means sell your Sonos kit guys, and buy a rubbish Bluetooth speaker on which to listen to your low quality music sources.
Agree 100% with @TheSeeker. It takes a particular turn of mind to buy a great sounding speaker system like Sonos and then want to play the low bitrate, advert-polluted music available on Spotify free. Also, as I understand it, the decision to allow only the premium service on Sonos is Spotify's alone.

So by all means sell your Sonos kit guys, and buy a rubbish Bluetooth speaker on which to listen to your low quality music sources.

iwas brought up on far superior speakers than the sonos I would say they are not so amazing quality...however you both make a good point about the quality of free service on Spotify.
I have tried many forum/treads on trying to get podcast to play through sonos and have not found success.would greatly appreciate some guidance if you are willing
Hi @Sonosmmmmm. I think Sonos offers great sound for the money, especially when you consider that they are not just speakers, but wireless technology, DAC, amplifier and speakers rolled into one. Until the gen2 Play:5 came along I would never have claimed that the all-in-one speakers could rival an audiophile hifi system, but my pair of Play:5s + Sub does do that, in my view. But that's all subjective and not on the main point.

I don't use podcasts and am away from my Sonos system at the moment, or I would try to help with your query. Hopefully someone else will step in. In the meantime I hope the following link will get you started.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/325/kw/add%20podcast
thanks john I am away from our sonos but will look/test the link on my return, thanks for your assistance.