Is there anyway to stream Spotify without upgrading to a "premium" Spotify account?

• 25 December 2013
  • 130 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

130 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Looking online Spotify required premium in order to use Spotify connect (direct casting to speakers) when it was launched. Spotify also became the first company to require premium in order to use google cast.

And you blame Sonos?
Looking online Spotify required premium in order to use Spotify connect (direct casting to speakers) when it was launched. Spotify also became the first company to require premium in order to use google cast.

And you blame Sonos?

And I imagine the only reason they don't require it for Bluetooth and Airplay is those are just the raw phone audio being pushed to an outside source, so it can't be done.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Respectfully, I disagree with you. Publicly stated or not, I find the structure bizarre.

Just a quick attempt at reframing this discussion to see if it'll help you understand my point of view.

Let's say Spotify had a tiered pricing structure.
Tier 1 = Free
Tier 2 = $9.99/month
Tier 3 = $19.99/month

Tiers 1 and 2 are available for broadcasting to most all software and hardware, at Spotify and the user's discretion. The one exception? Sonos

Spotify decided that the only way to access their music on a Sonos system is by subscribing to Tier 3. $19.99/month

Would your argument remain "Spotify's decision. Sonos has no control. They've stated it publicly. There's no logic in asking why. Moving right along."

?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Exactly j gatie
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Spotify seems very clear in their rules.

Free streaming only to their native client application (thus outputs from that application will work such as Bluetooth, headphones).

Any device or application outside of the native app that pulls from their server requires a premium subscription authentication (i.e. Sonos, their own Spotify connect, google chromecast).

There is no grey area you seem to act as though there is.

What functions outside this Spotify driven model. No device that pulls from their server works on the free tier.
@kdoggity. This isn't difficult. Good sound is more important on good equipment. Spotify make money from Premium accounts. More people subscribe to Premium if it is the only way to get their music in high quality on systems like Sonos. It is simple market segmentation by Spotify. It makes perfect sense for their business model.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What do you mean Spotify is $19 tier to work just with Sonos. Your saying Spotify should hypothetically charge more for Sonos. I don't even understand why you are saying hypothetically Sonos should be singled out as a higher charge. Why would anyone want that or say that it was true.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I mean your saying Spotify singles out Sonos and charges extra when that is not the case. If it were the case then that would be a cause for complaint. But they don't. So way say they do or say hypothetically if they did so we should complain that they hypothetically could. This reasoning makes no sense.
Respectfully, I disagree with you. Publicly stated or not, I find the structure bizarre.

Just a quick attempt at reframing this discussion to see if it'll help you understand my point of view.

Let's say Spotify had a tiered pricing structure.
Tier 1 = Free
Tier 2 = $9.99/month
Tier 3 = $19.99/month

Tiers 1 and 2 are available for broadcasting to most all software and hardware, at Spotify and the user's discretion. The one exception? Sonos

Spotify decided that the only way to access their music on a Sonos system is by subscribing to Tier 3. $19.99/month

Would your argument remain "Spotify's decision. Sonos has no control. They've stated it publicly. There's no logic in asking why. Moving right along."

?

So you are saying Sonos is lying? Glad we cleared that up.

However, your example is nonsense, because that's not the pricing structure. The structure is free acounts over phone audio, including pushing audio to Bluetooth and Airplay, and premium required for pulling to Sonos, Chromecast, and Spotify's own Spotify Connect. Nobody is paying a third tier for Sonos. So not only do you have no proof Sonos is lying, you have no evidence the pricing is even out of line with Spotify's other music partners, or their own in house streaming functions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
And if you had some completely false hypothesis that the reason they require premium is that they have to pay the hardware mfg ..... then your saying Spotify pays their direct competitor Google to play audio via their Google Audio Casting. And Spotify pays all other arbitrary hardware manufacturers to play via their own Spotify Connect?

It really makes no sense. Hardware mfg. like Sonos want to provide customers the easiest and cheapest method of playing to their devices. More providers (like Sonos has over anyone) and more hardware sales. Limiting their partners to those that charge a kickback would jeopardize their business model. And forcing kickbacks wouldn't explain all the free services on Sonos where the provider does not require a premium subscription (Pandora seems to work just fine for me - how come Sonos wouldn't require them if they required anything of Spotify).

The entire premise that Sonos gets kickbacks is flawed and Sonos as jgatie has repeated has insisted they get no kickbacks. If they were getting kickbacks they would just stay silent - they wouldn't lie and be then subject to legal ramifications of such. So sonos gets no kickbacks...period....seems no logical evidence to the contrary with all evidence showing they do not.
Userlevel 1
Badge
There is no suggestion here that Sonos is lying, or any premise that they receive kick backs. Those notions are completely your own J + C. Since this discussion is trending similarly to trying to reason with a toddler, I'll restate my only point and leave you to your passionate defense of Sonos (which is a company I love, by the way) - Spotify allows easy access to free music. Sonos allows easy access to beautiful sound. They just don't do those two things together.

Have a great day, gents!
But they do. Easy access but not free. And the free version has too low a bitrate to give great sound. FWIW i did not take your comments to mean anything more than you have stated. I just think that what you are asking for would undermine Spotify's business model and therefore cannot happen. Let's agree to differ.
There is no suggestion here that Sonos is lying, or any premise that they receive kick backs. Those notions are completely your own J + C. Since this discussion is trending similarly to trying to reason with a toddler, I'll restate my only point and leave you to your passionate defense of Sonos (which is a company I love, by the way) - Spotify allows easy access to free music. Sonos allows easy access to beautiful sound. They just don't do those two things together.

Have a great day, gents!

No, Spotify does not give easy acess to free music with "pull" architecture similar to Sonos, like Chromecast or Spotify's very own Spotify Connect. So why, given this fact, do you not believe Sonos when they state the decision to require a premium account is not in Sonos' hands? Certainly if it were not Spotify making the requirements, they'd allow "easy access to free music" on Spotify Connect, a platform they wholly control? You've yet to address this. Moreso, you've seemed to purposefully ignore it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
non shit sherlock????!! Spotify do their own policy ???? no wayyyyyy . Actually sonos was launched in 2002, by first I meant first OWNING THE MARKET: Spotify has 50 MILLIONS users, sonos has ent may 1 million units so may be 500k to 1 m users. so thats 50 to a 100 times less. Spotify doesn't give damn about every hardware player thats wants to do something with them so its down to sonos to NEGOTIATE something with them. thats for the MBAs that you obviously havent got. Now beyond business lessons, What the hell are you here for? This is supposed to be for people to find HELP, not your useless comments about what people should do or not according to your business opinion no one cares about . people are her to get help and get things sorted. So provide help or go troll somewhere else.

Wow, these people are someone's children. Behave yourself, will you?

SONOS was formed in 2002. Presented their concept in 2004.
And Spotify's customer base would not be what it is without the free tier.

None of this matters anyway.
SONOS may very well have attempted to negotiate.
If Spotify refused, what were they supposed to do? Walk? Not having Spotify when even Yamaha supports it would not look.

Finally, Spotify has a policy in place for OEMs and I haven't see them deviate from it except for offers for temporary Premium subs thrown in with a purchase : Spotify Connect requires a Premium subscription from everyone.
https://www.spotifygear.com/
Specifically:
Requires Spotify Premium to play on Connect-enabled products (except Playstation & Smart TVs)
https://www.spotifygear.com/im-confused-different-wireless-streaming-technologies/

Now from a consumer stand point. here is what I would do if I cared for Spotify (which I don't):
I'd buy discounted gift cards from a reputable seller on Amazon or eBay to further reduce the cost of the service.
Share a family account with someone you trust.
Google Android APK Spotify Premium
Etc.
There are ways but it's just too much work.

My opinion? Just pay for the service, support the company you want to use so much.
One solution which worked for me was to connect my Chromecast to the TV (TV has an optical connection to the Sonos playbase) and stream Spotify via the Chromecast which will output the audio to the Sonos playbase

🆒
Another rather simple solution is to find a Sonos Dock, and a 30-pin to lightning adapter. Drop your iPhone in the Dock, and play the free Spotify tier via Sonos.
Another rather simple solution is to find a Sonos Dock, and a 30-pin to lightning adapter. Drop your iPhone in the Dock, and play the free Spotify tier via Sonos.

Not so easy to find the Sonos dock as they have been discontinued though...

At least four on eBay at the moment. Or, just wait for Sonos to implement AirPlay 2 this spring.

At least four on eBay at the moment. Or, just wait for Sonos to implement AirPlay 2 this spring.

Apple also provides an AirPlay 2 audio API for developers to build support for improved streaming and multi-room audio playback in their apps. This means the feature won’t be limited to just Apple Music and Apple Podcasts, but apps like Spotify and Overcast may not support AirPlay 2 at launch.

Reference link: https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/15/airplay-2-details-availability/

It is not clear if it will work with Spotify on Airplay 2 though... Anyways, let's see..
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
One very nice thing about Spotify via Sonos is that multiple different streams can be played simultaneously within a single household, from a single Spotify premium account. Play Spotify via other devices and you don't get this -- it's one stream at a time only.
Badge
The Solutuion is to install Spotify and AirAudio ( http://airaudio.eu ) on your phone, and connect AirAudio to the WiFi of the Sonos (not your home WiFi, but the WiFi transceiver of the Sonos itself) this allows one to bypass all Sonos attempts to turn you into a "subscriber" rather than the owner of a WiFi speaker that you use as you wish. On PCs, there is also Stream What You Hear, ( http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com ) which allows one to simply send to the Sonos whatever one has playing on a PC, in my case over the hardwired Ethernet, as I hard-wire everything I can to keep the spectrum/bandwidth uncluttered for actual portable device use.
The Solutuion is to install Spotify and AirAudio ( http://airaudio.eu ) on your phone, and connect AirAudio to the WiFi of the Sonos (not your home WiFi, but the WiFi transceiver of the Sonos itself) this allows one to bypass all Sonos attempts to turn you into a "subscriber" rather than the owner of a WiFi speaker that you use as you wish.
A few comments:
AirAudio requires root. Most users don't root.
Sonos makes zero attempts to turn anyone into a "subscriber". The services -- Spotify in this case -- set the rules.
Having to loop a stream through the phone is just as (un)reliable as, say, Airplay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Or you can just pay the money and support the artists?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The problem is that you can't use Airplay or Bluetooth to stream from your phone to a Sonos speaker. The Sonos "Wireless" speakers really should allow Bluetooth streaming as a minimum requirement. Telling people to plug a cable in is a joke.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
But there is a solution. Pay the subscription and have control in both Sonos and Spotify apps, as well as Alexa, no adverts and support the artists that provide the music too? Bit rate is better too IIRC.

Besides, you can plug a Bluetooth receiver in instead of a cable.