Is there anyway to stream Spotify without upgrading to a "premium" Spotify account?

• 25 December 2013
  • 130 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

130 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
non shit sherlock????!! Spotify do their own policy ???? no wayyyyyy . Actually sonos was launched in 2002, by first I meant first OWNING THE MARKET: Spotify has 50 MILLIONS users, sonos has ent may 1 million units so may be 500k to 1 m users. so thats 50 to a 100 times less. Spotify doesn't give damn about every hardware player thats wants to do something with them so its down to sonos to NEGOTIATE something with them. thats for the MBAs that you obviously havent got. Now beyond business lessons, What the hell are you here for? This is supposed to be for people to find HELP, not your useless comments about what people should do or not according to your business opinion no one cares about . people are her to get help and get things sorted. So provide help or go troll somewhere else.
Oh dear.
Sigh.
non shit sherlock????!! Spotify has 50 MILLIONS users, sonos has ent may 1 million units so may be 500k to 1 m users. so thats 50 to a 100 times less. Spotify doesn't give damn about every hardware player thats wants to do something with them so its down to sonos to NEGOTIATE something with them. thats for the MBAs that you obviously havent got.

Sonos app has 5mill downloads on play store, google counts 1 per google account so adding in other platfirms Sonos has more than 1 million customers.

I sort of agree that Sonos could negotiate something with Spotify to allow some sort of free access. Sonos has had pronotional deals with Deezer, bluesound that i know of. Different than what you are asking for though.

Im not an MBA but seems to me that conversion to premium users is Spotify's business model and adding free account access on Sonos would undermine this.
Mose Allison did a great song about an "Educated Fool". Perfectly apt here. :8
Userlevel 1
Badge
1) No. several devices x several users for 1 system + testers of UI + it doesn't flipping matter if its 1 or 5 vs over 50 does it?
'I'm not an MBA' = > You can say that again.

2) you have missed half of the thread: This is a consumer board. People are not here to understand Spotify's business model, not do they care because they have a life, they just want it to work. (and care even less about your or my unaccredited vision on it. Who are you and what are your credentials to emitting judgements on Spotify's business model in a consumer help forum to require sonos to work? And what would anyone care?)

3) the person with the song => Keep listening to songs, it's what you do best.

Geezus, what a useless forum of unhelpful fanboys. Thanks Sonos! absolutely useless. Bad for both branding and customer experience. Well done.... I guess, I'll revert back to my bluetooth workaround. thanks again for you really useful help Sonos! Over and out. Wasted enough time in it.
You would think someone who brags about having 2 MBA's would have enough disposable income to afford a measly $10/month for Spotify. There's something odorous in Odense.
enough disposable income to afford a measly $10/month for Spotify
Extraordinary the lengths some will go to, doggedly putting up with Bluetooth to a Line-In instead, thereby foregoing quality and multi-stream convenience. It's not even as if the argument about functionality differences Spotify-on-Sonos vs Spotify-native still holds, since the advent of Spotify Direct.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Spotify Connect is Spotify's own invention and also requires a premium subscription. That and/or Spotify on Sonos app are the only way to stream to a device using Spotify. Spotify set the rules, not Sonos. Only option 'for free' is using Bluetooth or via headphone output of a device and a line-in to sonos and playing the free service with ads and low quality.
Spotify is a business and can't provide everything for nothing !!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not sure where Geee is located, but I got Spotify Premium free with my mobile contract upgrade in the UK. Worth checking when contract is up for renewal. Not sure you appreciate helpful advice though, so feel free to throw insukts.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I suppose to me, in the end, it's just curious decision making by both parties.

Spotify (free) is easy to obtain, and use, on a myriad of devices (home computer, phone, tablet, Bluetooth speaker, etc.) It's clear that Spotify isn't going to great lengths to limit it's non-premium user base. (In fact, I'm assuming the overwhelming majority of Spotify users are not premium subscribers.)

Sonos is a speaker company, and wants users to play music (and other audible entertainment) on their equipment. The user can provide an incredibly beautiful, loss-less source, or a lesser quality source, their choice. Sonos doesn't mandate - they just provide a wonderful option for broadcasting that source.

Knowing those two realities; why an agreement was made between two phenomenal audio companies to limit the user's ability to interact with their product is a somewhat curious decision to me.
It's a business process well understood in my own world of games. If you look at many games, particularly for mobile devices, they're nominally "free" to download and play with, but fairly quickly try to entice you in purchasing upgrades. Much like Spotify seems to be doing, as well as others in that space, like TuneIn, for example. The basic fact is that if you're able to get your product in front of a lot of people, there's a good chance that a certain percentage will take the upgrade offer, and you make money off of that route. So, the "free" product is actually just a marketing avenue to get people into the paying ecosystem.

Sonos itself is just an aggregator. They provide hardware and software that facilitates other companies in providing content, but the content provided is out of Sonos' control. They wrote the API that allows the various companies to provide streams, but likely (and I've never looked at an agreement between Sonos and anyone else, so I'm speculating) have no control over what is provided, beyond a basic "it needs to conform to the API".

At the end of the day, Sonos makes money by selling hardware. They have pretty good speakers, that do an outstanding job of "whole home music". But I don't expect them to be able to require outside companies to provide "free" anything. It's entirely up to those outside companies as to what they want to integrate into the Sonos ecosystem, and what purpose (marketing wise) it serves.
There is no "agreement" between the two companies. It has been repeatedly posted here that Sonos gets no kickbacks, percentages, or any sort of monetary incentives from their music service partners when it comes to using or adding them to Sonos.

It has also been stated in no uncertain terms that the services decide for themselves what types of accounts are required. Indeed, there are several services like Google Play Music, Slacker, and Pandora which allow their free accounts to be accessed via Sonos. Sonos has no influence on that decision, they in fact go to great lengths to be service agnostic.
Userlevel 1
Badge
No need to get worked up. Perhaps just change the word "agreement" to "understanding" if you'd prefer. In the end, to me it's still a curious decision to limit your user's access to your product.
No need to get worked up. Perhaps just change the word "agreement" to "understanding" if you'd prefer. In the end, to me it's still a curious decision to limit your user's access to your product.Not when one form of access makes money for Spotify and the other doesn't
You are posting in the wrong forum. Sonos in no way limits anyone's access to anything, as proven by the free account access by Pandora, Google, etc. There is no "agreement", "understanding" or anything else you think applies. Sonos simply has no input on what account level the services require. None. Zero. Any questions about these issues is a question to be asked at Spotify and Spotify only.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Which would be a fair argument, if Spotify was consistent with that model. The fact that their free service is so widely accessible outside of the Sonos environment is what makes the arrangement curious. Clearly Spotify isn't overly concerned with users accessing their non-premium service. You could play it on your phone presently. Just don't try to broadcast it to your beautiful Sonos speaker.
Userlevel 1
Badge
jgatie - these are just thoughts posted to the Sonos forum thread discussing this very topic. Seems appropriate. But you're right. I wasn't on the phone, or in the conference room, when Sonos and Spotify executives discussed working together. It sounds like you were, and that Spotify told Sonos how it was going to be!
Good grief. Pay for your music. If you don't, one day there won't be any.
Which would be a fair argument, if Spotify was consistent with that model. The fact that their free service is so widely accessible outside of the Sonos environment is what makes the arrangement curious. Clearly Spotify isn't overly concerned with users accessing their non-premium service. You could play it on your phone presently. Just don't try to broadcast it to your beautiful Sonos speaker.

Well, then why don't you ask Spotify about this? Unless your "curious arrangement" statement is a thinly veiled accusation that Sonos is lying about there being no financial arrangement between the two? If that's the case, I encourage you to establish proof of this fact before you continue to accuse with no evidence. It is a fairly serious statement that Sonos would willingly mislead the public that membership in their Music Partners is, as publicly stated on their website, free and open to all.
jgatie - these are just thoughts posted to the Sonos forum thread discussing this very topic. Seems appropriate. But you're right. I wasn't on the phone, or in the conference room, when Sonos and Spotify executives discussed working together. It sounds like you were, and that Spotify told Sonos how it was going to be!

Sonos representatives have repeatedly stated how things go, and it is publicly stated on their website. As above, unless you think they are lying and have proof, you should take them at their word.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Goodness sakes. There's no innuendo or accusation in someone saying, "that's odd." I have as much exposure to Sonos' BTB interactions as you do; none.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Don't you have to have paid version to use Spotify connect on various devices? I'm under impression free is only when using the app which has advertising revenue built in.
Goodness sakes. There's no innuendo or accusation in someone saying, "that's odd." I have as much exposure to Sonos' BTB interactions as you do; none.

There's nothing odd. Sonos has publicly stated the terms of their relationship with partner services. You either believe what Sonos says is true, or you do not. If you do not, then you are accusing Sonos of willingly lying to their customers in its website description of the Music Partners program and their various statements here.

So which is it?
Don't you have to have paid version to use Spotify connect on various devices? I'm under impression free is only when using the app which has advertising revenue built in.

Yes you do. Ditto for Chromecast Audio. Seems every third party hardware "pull" based solution requires a premium account, even Spotify's own. But don't let that stand in the way of the "logic" being applied here.