Is there anyway to stream Spotify without upgrading to a "premium" Spotify account?

• 25 December 2013
  • 130 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

130 replies

Please would someone explain to me why they would buy a system like Sonos and then want to play a 128kbps stream interrupted by adverts. Do you like music? It may not be the main point but i'm just curious.....
Ratty - that's fair. However, what is in Sonos' control is how they advertise their relationship with Spotify on their website. The simple use of the word 'Premium' directly following Spotify on all web pages would be more accurate, and helpful to consumers. Is it missing intentionally? Who knows. But it certainly SHOULD be clearly identified, and one could argue it benefits Sonos not to...

You claimed you did research. Well, all I did was Google "Sonos and Spotify". I got ratty's link first, this one second:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1164/kw/Spotify

What subscription level do I need to use Spotify on Sonos?

A Spotify Premium account is required to work on Sonos.

Not sure how much clearer it has to be.
Please would someone explain to me why they would buy a system like Sonos and then want to play a 128kbps stream interrupted by adverts. Do you like music? It may not be the main point but i'm just curious.....

Never underestimate the sacrifices people will endure to avoid paying for something. 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge
To be fair, these retorts have merit. Sonos speakers are designed to play high quality music. And I certainly could have dug deeper. What I think the apologist crowd here is missing is that Sonos could (and should) be more obvious about needing a Spotify Premium account to use that service on their speakers, and it would be really easy to display on their site (not a google search, not Spotify's, not within a forum). Your points are well taken, but ignoring a fairly clear gap on Sonos' end makes the arguments thinner.
More obvious? Display on their site? Ok. How about this. Go to the Sonos home page. Go to the Music sub-page.

That will bring you here: http://www.sonos.com/en-us/streaming-music

Now click on the Spotify logo. This pops up a Spotify logo splash page with the following:

Spotify gives you access to any song, anytime, to any Sonos player in your house. Just search for an artist, album, or track and hit play. You can create playlists, or collaborate with a friend to make the ultimate mix. All you need is a Spotify Premium subscription.

Learn more.

After one click on the Spotify logo, it's rght there on the splash page - All you need is a Spotify Premium subscription - You don't even have to click Learn more.

So I can think of someone who needs to apologize, but it's not me. Time to give up on this one. 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge
Jgatie - Hop over to the main speaker page, or even the Spotify page within the Sonos page, extolling the virtues of the partnership. Do you see the word premium on those pages?

(P.S. Apologist doesn't mean apologize. It is rather someone who defends something.)
You asked it be obvious and displayed on their site. I can't think of a more obvious place to display on their site than from the Music menu when you click on the Spotify logo. It's literally two clicks from the home page, and the very first mention of Spotify besides their logo. Now you are going to complain it's not everywhere Spotify is mentioned in more obscure places? Really?

You really don't know when to quit, do you?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Did you see the word premium on those pages?
Did you see the word premium on those pages?

No. I didnt need to. Because I already saw the word premium where anyone doing the most modicum of research into playing music, specifically Spotify music, on Sonos would look. That is, I clicked on Music from Sonos' home page, then clicked on the Spotify logo. Now exactly when are you going to take responsibility for your own inadequate "reasearch", and admit that although Sonos does not display a disclaimer everywhere, they certainly put it in obvious and easily found places for anyone able to click on a logo or Google "Spotify on Sonos"?
Userlevel 1
Badge
It's so nice knowing I'm now part of a community of folks who accept no discourse, believe they are above others, and disparage those they've never met who having opposing opinions. Congrats Jgatie! You're top notch!
Stepping back slightly, it never ceases to amaze me that people can imagine that the supply of online music can take place without any means whatsoever of covering the provider's costs.
Stepping back slightly, it never ceases to amaze me that people can imagine that the supply of online music can take place without any means whatsoever of covering the provider's costs.

Is this a concern of the average consumer? IMO no.

"Without any means whatsoever" - you are familiar with ad revenue? Data harvesting? Spotify isnt napster year 2000.
I really hope Sonos is not trailing the footsteps of BlackBerry, creating a cultic niche around themselves, ending up being displaced by a less conservative android.
" I would not be so naive to think that there is no gain to the Sonos (or Bose) business models from Spotify to have their respective WiFi solutions drive business to Spotify's paid service. However as a speaker system customer I do think the speaker should be agnostic and not dictate what or how I should listen to it.

Further, as a customer to a high end product I would think that Sonos would champion my ability to use the free Spotify service or any other service / source of content I choose rather than rollover and fish hook their loyal customer base for more dollars.

This (in my mind flawed and short-sighted) reasoning could/will impact the ability of this otherwise remarkable product line to truly penetrate the market as a true home system solution. If HW price is one constraint to market share (albeit one which at present I'm willing to look past) having my content dictated to me becomes a compounding constraint (which I become less willing to accept daily) driving away frustrated customers who resent having less control for greater costs.

At present, I as a Sonos system owner can't even easily transition control to a friend or family member without content or compatibility issues.

From a pure performance (sound) perspective Sonos is top shelf. From a usability / customer centric perspective the ability to group HW and customize delivery in the home is also outstanding. The constant reminder that the tail wags the dog over content is quickly taking the shine off my bottle. "
Once again (and it's been repeated endlessly) there has never been any evidence that Sonos obtains kick-backs from any paid streaming service. Indeed Sonos go out of their way to be agnostic in terms of who they deal with. Of all such network streamers they support the largest number of services, and they make an open API freely available for anyone to connect to. For direct control from a native app Sonos may have started with Spotify, but they've made it quite clear that the API thus developed will have widespread application to other services. On the voice control front they're stated their intention to eventually work with all comers.

Spotify sets the terms of what they will and won't allow on hardware streamers such as Sonos. Sonos has no say in the matter. Take your complaints to Spotify.

As an aside, I find it incredible that any 'customer to a high end product' can baulk at paying a mere £10/$10 a month for a virtually limitless supply of music, a revenue stream essential for the reimbursement of established artists and the encouragement of upcoming ones.
I use a raspberry pi as an airplay target, this connects to my Sonos Play 1 and lets me stream from non premium Deezer or Spotify from my phone to the Sonos. If you are technically minded you can follow the guide here:
https://www.deviousweb.com/2016/02/20/airplay-to-sonos-via-raspberrypi-2/
One way to play spotify free over your amplifier and control it remotely is to connect a tablet with a wire to your amplifier and start playing spotify. Then with your phone you can control what spotify is playing on your tablet. Bit silly solution but it works for me
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos staff are clearly marked as such. Some of us are longstanding customers who've helped out on this board and its predecessor for a number of years.

As for the question of, say, Spotify support on Sonos, a search off support.sonos.com quickly leads one to https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1164 where it says "A Spotify Premium account is required to work on Sonos."

Frankly I don't know how anyone could imagine that a service which wants to stay in business long term is not going to monetise its operations. On network streamers such as Sonos that's either going to require the purchase of a paid subscription or the insertion of unwelcome audio adverts.

thats ridiculous. if by clearly marked you mean buried in the' small print' then sure, but otherwise its not.
We are not asking you for business advice. Spotify provides streaming for free anyway, just not with sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Well, you're the only poster in a year on this thread, so I don't think its a big issue. Spotify free service has adverts on it and those are not under Sonos control. I can just imagine Bose placing adverts about having the best wireless home audio system and that playing through Sonos systems.

No he isnt there are MANY fo us as shown in the thread
Userlevel 1
Badge

you must be amazed that spotify provides a free to consumer / ad funded option then. be amazed!
Spotify's free service is a hook. They need paying customers to make money. One way to incentivize customers to upgrade is to offer only the premium service on systems such as Sonos. But some people, amazingly, choose to spend money on a decent system then want to wreck the experience by playing low bit rate streams through it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
thank you for your amazing business insights. i have 2 MBAs and 20 years experience in business strategy including with startups. this is a consumer board. and consumers dont care. they want things that help them the way they want it. not understand how Spotify want to make money. they could not care less. thank you
So why aren't you just complaining to Spotify?
Userlevel 1
Badge
1) I have 2) read the rest of the thread re FREE claims by sonos, 3) Spotify was here before sonos. its down to sonos to get an agreement with Spotify, spotify works free with all other systems. 4|) i don't mind Spotify or another free streaming service in the UK and F . there doesn't seem to be one either, im not going to complain to all of them, S is the leader. Make it work Im not going to complain to apple is sonos doesn't work with apple.
3) Spotify was here before sonos
MBAs or not, you should do your research. Sonos launched in 2005, Spotify in 2008.

But, aside from being entertaining, this is all a waste of time. Spotify sets its own policies. They won't even let their own app cast to Sonos players without a premium subscription. (The same is true for Bluesound BTW.)