Is there a way to sort a sonos playlist?

• 31 October 2012
  • 64 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi. I am new here as a SONOS user. Seeing that this request has been made more than 2 years and still not in place make me think... either SONOS just do not care about their customers, and when we read Ryan feedback, it is just pathetic. Or it is a matter of competencies and SONOS developers are just not right for the job. Being able to sort alphabetically a list is 101 course. Sure they will never use Excel.:@

There are many topics in the community (hundreds actually according to a quick second google search) where people are asking/discussing lack of playlist and queue sorting with local and music services. It isn't a matter of competency IMO, Sonos hasn't wanted to add this feature for {insert your own speculation} reasons.

Maybe. But if people are asking for it, even a minority, the minimum to do will be to answer to them, positively or negatively. Then you will avoid speculations.
Don't you think ignoring customers isn't the right thing to do? Even Apple does it, sometimes.
Lots of good points being made here. I get the sense there are at least a few software developers in here 🙂 so there are probably a number of us who are familiar with the processes that go into product development and feature prioritization.

One thing some of us know is that statements like, "Obviously this company does not listen to their customers," are unhelpful when it comes to getting one's wish list items higher on the board.

I am willing to bet that Sonos has a relatively small team of engineers, compared to larger companies with more resources and deeper pockets. But just like any team, they sit down and go through a list of features that they might implement and prioritize them according to whatever makes the most sense, and usually that involves something that's at least tangentially related to *revenue*. Is queue sorting something that will drive revenue? Maybe, indirectly. But it's a lot more likely that it's beneath a long and evolving list of other features that are more important to the bottom line.

Once in a while a wish-list item like this will sneak onto the board, but that's usually because some engineer just really wants to spend a few extra cycles working on it. Even then, because this involves customer-facing UI, it'll likely have to go through a design committee review. They'll want to do it right, because they know they'll be pilloried if they release something that sucks.

Sonos also has design challenges because of all the other features they're cramming into this product. It's not a simple thing, even though we know it to be a common feature in other products that do what they do, but don't do what Sonos does. Yes, I'll bet once they sit down and work it out they'll get there -- I have ideas, we all have ideas. But there's always more than meets the eye.

Lastly, it is a universal truth that comment threads bring out the worst in human interaction, and if I've contributed to that here by being pedantic, I apologize. I guess I just want to recognize that we are here because we like what Sonos does and keeping our feedback positive (at least framing it positively) is usually a more effective way to make them *want* to respond to the community's wish list items.

Happy Holidays all. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
"One thing some of us know is that statements like, "Obviously this company does not listen to their customers," are unhelpful when it comes to getting one's wish list items higher on the board. "

This is your opinion and I respect it. However your point of view is wrong. I can give you 3 examples.
1. Agilebits, a small software company which is very close to its customers. On a forum someone ask for a new features and it took 4 months to implement it.
2. Oracle. I had customer who made a request for changes in the ISHR he bought. Oracle made the changes in the core system in 6 months time.
3. Citroën. Another client. People were asking to get the Apple CarPlay in their car. It took a year for the manufacturer to implement it. And the list goes on

Also, the IT team power is getting less and less important. It is not a developers who decidwho what is the priority but the business.

With the new digital era you have to listen to your customers requests. Thinking you are the leader so you are the one who takes the decisions is a wrong approach. It is hard to get on a top but it is easy to end up on the bottom.

Happy Holidays to you too.
"One thing some of us know is that statements like, "Obviously this company does not listen to their customers," are unhelpful when it comes to getting one's wish list items higher on the board. "

This is your opinion and I respect it. However your point of view is wrong. I can give you 3 examples.

And, as I posted earlier in the thread, I will give you dozens of instances where Sonos has listened to their customers, so saying "Obviously this company does not listen to their customers" is not only unhelpful, it is absurd:

Hmmm...not sure Sonos ever really listen to user requests :-(

Come on Sonos - sort out the sorting!

At the original forum, I kept a running total of released features/products which were a direct result of Sonos listening to user requests. There results can be seen here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/has-any-posting-here-ever-produced-anything--29154

Note there were dozens of releases after I stopped updating the list, since the results started being automatically tabulated at ask.sonos. So, in short, you can stop wondering if "Sonos ever really listen to user requests".

A single project not getting done is not evidence of Sonos never doing anything, nor is it evidence of them not listening. More likely than not, it is proof of that pet project having limited economic benefit to Sonos, nothing more.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Some people are Apple fan boys and will always find great features where there is none, or find a great excuse to explain there is non-issue. You seem to be a great Sonos fan boys. Good for you! But when I read so many posts of people frustration and complains I guess there is something wrong. And nothing you will say could change that. Many compagnies do not listen and this is far from being absurd. You are making assumptions here, or you are a Sonos employees defending his company and your lack of objectivity is absurd.

That will be my last post because this conversation is not going anywhere anyway.
Annnnnnd there they are, the "Fanboy" and "Sonos employee" accusations. Knew that was coming after I proved the absurdity of the accusation. When faced with irrefutable facts, go for the personal attacks and conspiracy theories.

How about you answer the question: When shown that Sonos has not only listened to their customer ideas, but have actually implemented many, many dozens over the years, how can you say "Obviously this company does not listen to their customers" with a straight face?

Oh and by the way, if you think I lack objectivity, you should see my posts about the new queue features. You'd retract the "Fanboy" and "Sonos employee" statements faster than you can say "Tap to Play". :8
Ugh, that headed South quickly. Not sure why it's so difficult to understand the difference between engaged feedback and hostile, accusatory complaints. :? I guess that distinction is just as subtle as the one between pointing out that being rude to the humans on the other end of the discussion isn't terribly productive, and being a Sonos "fanboy".
Can't believe sorting has not yet been implemented. How else can anyone find a song within a playlist? But I'm curious - how is the order currently determined in the playlist? It seems to be random. If there is some kind of system, though, and I knew what it was, I might be able to find what I'm looking for.
Presently ordered play is on the basis of when added to the list. There is a random shuffled alternative, that changes each time it is selected after going back to ordered play.
This app is dysfunctional and when you press the button that is supposed to change how the songs are sorted, it offers the first song on the playlist. I am severely disappointed.
This app is dysfunctional and when you press the button that is supposed to change how the songs are sorted, it offers the first song on the playlist.
The app isn't dysfunctional. There's no such button.
Badge
Please add my request to the pile regards alphabetising the Sonos playlists, this is essential to the overall purpose of playlists...🆒
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just encouraging any sorting or filtering options
Userlevel 1
OMG I can't effing believe that this string was created five years ago and Sonos STILL HASN'T ADDED PLAYLIST SORTING TO THEIR SOFTWARE. It's such a basic function. It would probably take even your worst programmer an hour to do this. Can somebody at Sonos tell me why we can't sort playlists by song title, by artist, by album etc. Why? Please, why? Please? Why?