Is there a way to sort a sonos playlist?

• 31 October 2012
  • 64 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

please make available soon
Please please please add a feature to allow user to sort playlist.
Would be nice to have the ability to sort Sonos playlists....this request has been in the queue for quite some time!
My playlists are in a right pickle, come on sonos, sort it out
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hmmm...not sure Sonos ever really listen to user requests :-(

Come on Sonos - sort out the sorting!
Hmmm...not sure Sonos ever really listen to user requests :-(

Come on Sonos - sort out the sorting!

At the original forum, I kept a running total of released features/products which were a direct result of Sonos listening to user requests. There results can be seen here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/has-any-posting-here-ever-produced-anything--29154

Note there were dozens of releases after I stopped updating the list, since the results started being automatically tabulated at ask.sonos. So, in short, you can stop wondering if "Sonos ever really listen to user requests".
So three years ago this was moved to the Share an Idea section. Still not implemented. This would be very simple to add.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I know you've probably heard it already, but we don't publish a roadmap for future development, so we can't say what is and isn't currently being worked on. We love hearing what you're looking for to see in the future, so please keep it coming. When the development team chooses to put something on the todo list they have a whole lot of criteria that goes into the decisions.

We'll let you know if there's any news in the future around sorting for playlists. It's always great if you have details on how you'd like to see a new feature like this to work. Would you want to be able to sort a playlist just within the Queue or in another way?
Within the queue and the playlist listing would be great.

Several options for sorting would be good too, like sort on track title, sort on artists name, sort on track number by album. etc.
Userlevel 1
Please within a playlist is good enough
Please within a playlist is good enough

Speak for yourself... My priority would be within a queue. Both are clearly required.
Userlevel 1
My main goal is to be able to delete duplicates in a que or playlist or be able to find a song in a que or playlist
I agree that this is a fairly fundamental requirement for any software - not just music players - especially for something like Sonos that demands a premium - Sonos the thing that's let your service down in the past is the quality and features of your clients, I've said it before - you run the risk of losing your top spot of you don't sort this out asap, people are growing frustrated that you never fix the things people ask for - is it because you don't have the skills, or couldn't be bothers? Either is concerning.
Or maybe what is important to you isn't important to the vast majority of users (as under two pages of posts in three years would indicate), so therefore Sonos uses its limited manpower on more pressing issues. I personally have never felt the need to sort a playlist, and never will.
I agree would be great to be able to sort playlists. I have the same issue as duplicate songs added and no easy way to remove them.
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I know you've probably heard it already, but we don't publish a roadmap for future development, so we can't say what is and isn't currently being worked on. We love hearing what you're looking for to see in the future, so please keep it coming. When the development team chooses to put something on the todo list they have a whole lot of criteria that goes into the decisions.

We'll let you know if there's any news in the future around sorting for playlists. It's always great if you have details on how you'd like to see a new feature like this to work. Would you want to be able to sort a playlist just within the Queue or in another way?
Thing is your company should listen to its consumers not the development guys, afterall its the consumer that keeps you in business. Most of these post are simple recurring requests posted over many years begging for Sonos to improve its offering. Sonos really are the least customer centric business out there who don't actually care about the user once they have purchased the hardware. Your developers don't appear capable enough to even build a playlist sort functionality, why not save yourself a few bucks and leave it to the professional streamers to develop the apps
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I met this idea in my own head a couple of weeks ago. We have a "guests Choice" playlist. When we have people over we ask them if they want to add a few tracks. The playlist is now over 200 tracks long and I am sure there are duplicates in there but it isn't easy to work out.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi. I am new here as a SONOS user. Seeing that this request has been made more than 2 years and still not in place make me think... either SONOS just do not care about their customers, and when we read Ryan feedback, it is just pathetic. Or it is a matter of competencies and SONOS developers are just not right for the job. Being able to sort alphabetically a list is 101 course. Sure they will never use Excel.:@
Or maybe with less than 2 pages of posts in over 4 years, there arent that many people who really care, and resources are better spent elsewhere.
Or maybe they DO care but are worn out and extremely disappointed with their Sonos experience?
Hi. I am new here as a SONOS user. Seeing that this request has been made more than 2 years and still not in place make me think... either SONOS just do not care about their customers, and when we read Ryan feedback, it is just pathetic. Or it is a matter of competencies and SONOS developers are just not right for the job. Being able to sort alphabetically a list is 101 course. Sure they will never use Excel.:@

There are many topics in the community (hundreds actually according to a quick second google search) where people are asking/discussing lack of playlist and queue sorting with local and music services. It isn't a matter of competency IMO, Sonos hasn't wanted to add this feature for {insert your own speculation} reasons.
Please add my name to the list of users clamoring for a way to sort playlists, or the queue at the very least.

Love you guys! Happy Holidays!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

There are many topics in the community (hundreds actually according to a quick second google search) where people are asking/discussing lack of playlist and queue sorting with local and music services. It isn't a matter of competency IMO, Sonos hasn't wanted to add this feature for {insert your own speculation} reasons.

Just moaning doesn't put your request anywhere without some reason. Could be why you think it is "ignored" or could be why those who make the changes are unable to read your mind. After all, it is only a simple change. Isn't it.

How and where do you want it to sort a list?
Queue or playlist or both?
How would shuffle function work?
How would songs be added to the queue?
By native or by sort?
What controller has sort priority?
How would other controllers interact with any sort?
Why do duplicates in a playlist matter?

And yet more questions...

Please answer these as a start to even get Sonos vaguely interested in the idea to show you have given it proper thought and consideration. It is, after all, simple. Isn't it.
Then you could ask others if they think your ideas will work for them too.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Or maybe with less than 2 pages of posts in over 4 years, there arent that many people who really care, and resources are better spent elsewhere.

You might be right but I guess some functions are just mandatory in such application. If you look what there is on the market all of them are doing it. It is good to be different sometimes especially when you add value to the customer experience. But is it really the case here?