Answered

Is Sonos able to use Music from an SSD system drive OS 10.13.6 High Sierra

• 28 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Error 1002 - followed all these steps to correct - Does NOT work

Music Library to Sonos broken after High Sierra update - it worked before the update

Mac OS 10.13.6
Sonos Controller 10.6
All systems up to date
Error on adding Mac Music Library:
Sonos unable to add shared folder “Music file path” to your Music Library (1002).
Corrections made:
- Permissions on Music folder set to shared, applied to enclosed folders
-Permissions on Home folder set for sharing and applied to all
- Sys Prefs; Share files & folders using SMB
- Sys Prefs; File Sharing checked ON test and File Sharing checked OFF - same error
- Computer Name = NetBIOS Name
- iTunes prefs set in Sharing library on my local network • Share entire library
- Tried to add library with Sonos speaker ethernet plugged into router after reboot
-Tried with Firewall ON/OFF.
-Sonos added as a Firewall app allowed

Diagnostics Sent: 915898537

I have contacted Apple as  suggested. They point the finger back to Sonos as Sonos has all the update information from Apple needed for software adjustments.

My Play 5 is now an expensive speaker to my TV

icon

Best answer by John G 28 February 2020, 20:00

@IrishJimBoise Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for bringing your concern(s) to us here. I understand that you are having an issue with your music library share after completing an OS update. Please understand that we may need you to call in for live agent support as they will have more tools to address your concerns. They may also need to do screen a share session to confirm your computer and network settings. You can reach us by phone using this link.

The diagnostic report shows that you have no pathway/share set up in Sonos for your music library from your computer. Did you remove your music library share during your own troubleshooting? Do you have any issue playing a music service like TuneIn, Spotify or Pandora? can you see the music on the computer and play it to the speakers of your computer?

You mentioned your computers NetBios name. Did you confirm the NetBios name for the computer is the name that Itunes shows from when the music pathway for Itunes was created? During updates, your computer NetBios name may have changed.and you may have to update your computers NetBios name to show as it does in your Itunes preferences then do a full re-boot and then test adding the pathway/share once more for a music library setup. If you are not familiar with where to check that I would again advise that you to call in for live phone assistance.

Before you call in, please take these steps to attempt your re-adding of your music library share:

1. Power off/on your Modem/Router/Extender/Access Point(s) for 30 seconds with no lights.
  2. As they power back on then power off/on your Sonos product(s) with no light for 15 seconds.
  3. As they are re-booting then re-boot your Mac controller wit the Sonos app and stored music.

After a full re-boot of the system please attempt to add the music library share once more. You can follow up with the result here or call in for live assistance.

If you call in for help, please gather your network topology for the agent you would speak with by gathering the model names and numbers for any:

Modem:

Router:

Extender:

Switch (manged or unmaneged):

View original

4 replies

What is the netbios name for the Mac?… it needs to be 15 characters, or less ..and try to avoid spaces/special characters. Or...Have you perhaps tried fixing and using the Mac’s IP address instead for the library path?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@IrishJimBoise Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for bringing your concern(s) to us here. I understand that you are having an issue with your music library share after completing an OS update. Please understand that we may need you to call in for live agent support as they will have more tools to address your concerns. They may also need to do screen a share session to confirm your computer and network settings. You can reach us by phone using this link.

The diagnostic report shows that you have no pathway/share set up in Sonos for your music library from your computer. Did you remove your music library share during your own troubleshooting? Do you have any issue playing a music service like TuneIn, Spotify or Pandora? can you see the music on the computer and play it to the speakers of your computer?

You mentioned your computers NetBios name. Did you confirm the NetBios name for the computer is the name that Itunes shows from when the music pathway for Itunes was created? During updates, your computer NetBios name may have changed.and you may have to update your computers NetBios name to show as it does in your Itunes preferences then do a full re-boot and then test adding the pathway/share once more for a music library setup. If you are not familiar with where to check that I would again advise that you to call in for live phone assistance.

Before you call in, please take these steps to attempt your re-adding of your music library share:

1. Power off/on your Modem/Router/Extender/Access Point(s) for 30 seconds with no lights.
  2. As they power back on then power off/on your Sonos product(s) with no light for 15 seconds.
  3. As they are re-booting then re-boot your Mac controller wit the Sonos app and stored music.

After a full re-boot of the system please attempt to add the music library share once more. You can follow up with the result here or call in for live assistance.

If you call in for help, please gather your network topology for the agent you would speak with by gathering the model names and numbers for any:

Modem:

Router:

Extender:

I have talked with two engineers at Sonos and have gone through all of these items you mentioned. None of it worked. I have also been on the phone with an Apple senior tech - to no avail. Time invested is about 4 hours. Quickly getting to the point of ‘not worth it’.

Signed frustrated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Modem:

Router:

Extender:

@IrishJimBoise Thank you for the follow up information. I understand troubleshooting steps can feel fruitless and frustrating at times. We want to see you up and working again with your music library. I would ask that you try the steps I have provided before calling us back as I did find your case from a few days ago, along with your diagnostic report and your Sonos products are showing not having been re-booted for over a month. I will direct message you the case number so you can reference it when you call into us. I have also made some troubleshooting notes for the next agent to go over with you while on the call.